Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2022, 11:04 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: International
Engine: T444E, AT545 trans.
Rated Cap: 24 seater
how to use/search on Skoolie.net?

hello new to schoolies and looking for some info on how to search for threads or forums and find what im looking for.

example: rusty floor, best rust paint, cross member repair. rust prevention

just trying to learn how to use this forum page, pretty tech savvy just the format is kinda oldschool and i never used them growing up lol

-Tayler

PowerBrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 11:08 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Welcome.

Your "examples' all follow a pattern that honestly invoke pity. I really hope that isn't your problem.

What are you looking for? It seems you understand general search terms.

Best of luck.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 12:52 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Got Rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBrapp View Post
hello new to schoolies and looking for some info on how to search for threads or forums and find what im looking for.

example: rusty floor, best rust paint, cross member repair. rust prevention

just trying to learn how to use this forum page, pretty tech savvy just the format is kinda oldschool and i never used them growing up lol

-Tayler

If you are searching the terms above, you may consider following Musigenesis's rust mitigation here: Rusty87-build-thread. A captivating story of struggle, strength and perseverance.

Search using standard sql query commands.
Try using quotes to "pair words" + "you can also" use the plus sign to link phrases.

Click [Skoolie] to search within the site, [Google] returns query from entire Google.

ie
"Rusty frame" + "rust converter" site:skoolie.net
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 01:20 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
Welcome.

Your "examples' all follow a pattern that honestly invoke pity. I really hope that isn't your problem.

What are you looking for? It seems you understand general search terms.

Best of luck.
Pity as in 'you must have been the high bidder on that bus?'
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 01:23 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
First off, I'm so glad you are actually trying to learn the search function. Many, many folks don't start with that and I'm much more inclined to offer suggestions simply because you are trying.

This is a community of pretty talented and experienced folks (speaking of others, not myself).

The forum is a bit old school, and klunky in some important ways-like posting pictures.

But you'll find a gold mine of guidance, advice and information. Stick with it, you'll be rewarded.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 01:35 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Ok thanks everyone thats posted to help me out I will hop on my computer after work and tinker around. I have used thumper talks forum a lot but that one is pretty good to use.

But yes I got some rot on one cross member. Just before the wheel well on #2 axle. I’m a welder by trade and a heavy duty/Commercial transport mechanic and we get ford handy darts all the time at work with this kind of rot and we replace just what’s gone from under it. Not a fun job at all. At lease I can bring it to my work and cut and weld a new cross member in while I’m pulling up the floor.

Im thinking it’s gunna be way easier just cutting the whole thing out and just lay a new cross member in
Old 06-14-2022, 05:03 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
except this time pull the existing flooring up to expose the sheetmetal.
pull the bad sheets and replace the crossmembers from up top instead of underneath.
depending on how/ many members/ and proximity to each other i would use body support.
a just in case thing for safety.
one at a time maybe not but support jacks to keep things in place yeah.
but you have done it.
your flooring should come up anyway just to see the sheetmetal underneath and take care of it.
not trying to tell you how to do it just an opinion.
am also a welder by trade years ago.
am in charge but only weld my stuff at home cause i cant see the mess no more?
i can can but why when i have good younger men that want to weld.
but why not take care of two problems at once and make it easier to do on you just a little more effort upfront.
can almost guarantee that if cross members are gone then the solid surface for that flooring is having a hard time as well whether from damage underside or damage from inside of the windows leaking or them washing out the buses with a water hose.
many things
your profile doesnt say year model?
but you live in the area for rusted vehicles and sounds like you know how to fix the cancer.
if this one is yours then start with ripping the floor out instead of trying to replace one underside?
have you heard of fluidfilm?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:10 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Oh yes I have heard of fluid film might put that under the bus but I find dirt clings really well to it and sucks to clean up. I might use this stuff called krown KL73 or also know as krown t40, we work on some of the military trucks and they all got this film under it and I found a contract online with the Canadian military and krown supply’s all the under body spray to protect them from rust, and it does not pick up that much dirt. Really nice stuff, used it last fall before winter on my 1985 gmc s15 and it helped lots.

My bus is a 1996 international 23 foot T444e with a at545 that needs to be swapped out. (Lost 4th and reverse, 4th clutch is gone) Thomas body.

I pulled most of my floor up have to do a dump run and move my spare trans. But it’s not sheet metal under the wood it’s galvanized panels, not gunna be fun to weld….

I’m the type to do it right the first time and not half ass it. I don’t like doing things twice

Tags
forum help, search