Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #41
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin1989us View Post
I'd posted this, but because I'm a newbie a moderator had to approve it because of the link. The conversation kept going and I think people missed it.
You're probably right.

In the rust department, unfortunately a lot of rust may be hidden between the plywood and steel layers of the floor where you won't be able to inspect. It may also show up in places where body panel faces are pressed together, creating a spot for water and dirt to grind away the paint and then corrode the metal. Places that get road spray from the tires would be candidates. As for severity of rust, it depends on how you feel about repairing sheet metal. Severely rusted-out places can be cut away and new material put in place (weld in sheet metal, or maybe a fiberglass patch) if you're up for it. Probably if you can push it with a finger without either poking a hole through or hearing kind of a crunchy sound, then it's relatively easy to clean & repair.

Might as well check the coolant to be sure there's minimal oil floating on it, and the engine oil to be sure it doesn't look suspicious (brand new oil, or looks like chocolate milk -- should be just dark, black-ish). Smell the transmission oil to be sure it isn't burnt. It should be a relatively clean red color without much dark bits (clutch material).

On a test drive notice whether the steering feels ok. No unexplained rattles/bangs when it hits bumps, appropriate play between rocking the steering wheel and feeling the bus swerve a little, etc.

family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:44 PM   #42
Bus Geek

13th week of 2009

if the tires have only 3 digits they are too old to run safely, they were made pre 2000
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:49 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
1988 Bluebird Bus

I finally decided to make a purchase. I'm going pick this one up tomorrow. It's a 1988 Blue Bird TC2000. 5.9L Cummins. AT545. 4.33 rear axle ratio. Hydraulic brakes. GVWR is 26,500. It's only 26' long but has 9 windows.

I'm excited!
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:54 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
I'll post a real thread when I get back with it. My wife and I are gonna use the 5 hour drive to work on a name for him/her. My wife is curious as to how you know if it's a boy or a girl bus.
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:51 PM   #45
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Congratulations! Ummm... maybe you can get an ultrasound or something?
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #46
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Front engines are guys, and rear engines are girls.

Mid engine crowns are like earth worms. They are both sexes.

Lol

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote