Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2022, 09:33 AM   #1

Year: 1954
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Super coach
Engine: Silver diamond straight 6
Howdy

So how's it going..... Uhmmm well I got a bus.. it's really old.... It needs a ton of work.....did I mention I know absolutely nothing about buses besides the wheels on the bus go round and round. so... yeah here I am. Please help me I think I'm in way over my head. I'm not really sure where to start it's a very big project and a little overwhelming. So anyways I just purchased a 1954 international super coach. No motor and from what little I know about transmissions I'm guessing it's not in great shape. Almost definitely rebuilding or finding another one. So if anyone knows where to find some very old parts or can enlighten me upon how to use a newer set up in my very old international I'm all ears. Thanks for your time and information I appreciate all of the help I can get.

Newschooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:20 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Welcome! You're in over your head, just like the rest of us I don't have much technical experience to share, but even the more seasoned folks will need to know more about your bus to be able to help. Your info says it's a Super Coach. Is it a Crown bus then? I have heard that a handful of Crowns had International gas engines, but I thought it was the "Red Diamond" version.

Whatever it is, it sounds like a cool (but difficult) project! Once you have the minimum 5 posts under your belt, be sure to share some pics please!

Edit: Sorry, I got confused about the engine. Your post says no motor, but your avatar info says "Silver diamond straight 6". I'm guessing the silver diamond is what used to make the wheels go round and round.
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:23 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Welcome. What are your plans for the bus?
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 02:34 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
If you plan on going highway speeds I would definitely chose a later model engine, most diesels from the 90's are best, no electronics. Or contemplate a complete chassis change, much easier and late model everything in the drive-train and brakes too. wow, that is a really steep learning curve, lots of luck.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote