Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2019, 08:17 PM   #1

Howdy all.

My name Royce, I'm married, and me and my wife have raised 5 kids, youngest one is only a couple years from being out of the house. In 2012 we had a huge financial setback and since then it's been a struggle, but the future looks better. We both have decided to get a bus and convert it into our full time home after our youngest moves out. I want to do as much of the work myself as I can. I have limited resources but I'm determined and very excited to start this journey. I'll be learning as much as I can until I can start working on my plan. Happy travels everyone!

Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:23 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466E / AT545
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome to the forums!

Plenty of places to start and information to soak up, and this is a great place to begin!
geminusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:46 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9/AT
Rated Cap: 2 adults, 2 dogs
I've been reading here and everywhere, and watching videos here and Youtube for months.
AZHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:53 PM   #4

Hey y'all I'm new to this ive decided after a device and multiple shitty things going on that ima tackle a conversion and hit the road I can't buy my bus tell may and that sucks but does anybody know if there is somewhere around Iowa with an RV salvage where I can get my basic necessities like wireing amp plumbing and stuff cheap so I can have it ready? If so that would be great
srw4454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:58 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
My name Royce, I'm married, and me and my wife have raised 5 kids, youngest one is only a couple years from being out of the house. In 2012 we had a huge financial setback and since then it's been a struggle, but the future looks better. We both have decided to get a bus and convert it into our full time home after our youngest moves out. I want to do as much of the work myself as I can. I have limited resources but I'm determined and very excited to start this journey. I'll be learning as much as I can until I can start working on my plan. Happy travels everyone!

The beauty of a bus conversion is that you don't need to pony up all of the $$$ at the time of purchase. A lot of folks do the big stuff first--insulating, flooring, roof raise, plumbing, and electrical. Some of that stuff is dependent upon the floor plan. But the beauty of it all is except for when you are in the middle of a roof raise or insulating the floor/ceiling/walls you can usually use the bus as is and build onto as time and $$$ allow to do so.

One way to reduce expenses is to find a travel trailer or moho that has been wrecked, water damaged, or rotted out for a donor. Most of the time no matter how bad the actual RV is as far as a usable RV the tanks, fixtures, appliances, genset, etc. are still very usable. And with the purchase price of many of those wrecked RV's under $2K you can get all you need to convert your bus for a fraction of what it would cost to purchase all of the parts and pieces brand new.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:35 AM   #6

That is extremely good advice. Thank you.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote