Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2023, 12:58 PM   #1

Howdy from Central Texas

Figure a quick introduction is due. I’m a mechanic and farmer near Schulenburg TX. I’ve previously worked as auto tech, diesel tech, heavy equipment, agriculture tech and now working on forklifts. I have a small farm and am coming to a point where I’d like to dabble in buses. I’ve always enjoyed the idea of living in a bus, but it’s not for me. I have space to park and experience/tools to repair buses. I’m not sure where to “advertise” but figured I’ll start looking around here and perhaps can lend a hand when needed.

RRamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 01:54 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Welcome to the forum!

Safe to say there are folks traveling that way that might appreciate knowing you are available for repairs and such.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:45 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Welcome to the jungle !

I just relocated to central texas, killeen.
Got 2 buses in progress.

You’ll find quite a few good folks here to help you out with questions and stuff!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:20 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Hi and welcome
It sounds like you need to get your name out there somehow. There are constantly posts of people looking for a mechanic in xxx. Maybe equip you bus as mobile mechanic and limit your travel distances so you can stay close to home. Possibilities are endless.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:30 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
Welcome to the jungle !

Got 2 buses in progress.

You’ll find quite a few good folks here to help you out with questions and stuff!
ewo.
what took you to killeen?
been to fort hood quite a few my parents had friends in the colony and still have friends in DFW and mesquite.
my family is all over the state and my mom is in kilgore where i grew up.
when i got out of the marine corps the oilfield was shutdown and no one could afford to feed there cows because of a drought. found a good job here and have made a run of it for over 20 years now.
hope you like your new place.
my wife and i are talking about finding some land and she wants to look north and i want to stay below the mason dixon.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:35 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
and if you have never been there the texas ranger hall of fame museum is cool.
and of course my home town of kilgore has the oil museum and the downtown area is kept up by the preservation society.
to the OP.
you tired of working on wore out oilfield trucks or just tired of trying to get to them when they break?
none of my business but i grew up around the trade.
also gladewater is a treasure trove antiques as well as canton trades days.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:22 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
ewo.
what took you to killeen?
been to fort hood quite a few my parents had friends in the colony and still have friends in DFW and mesquite.
my family is all over the state and my mom is in kilgore where i grew up.
when i got out of the marine corps the oilfield was shutdown and no one could afford to feed there cows because of a drought. found a good job here and have made a run of it for over 20 years now.
hope you like your new place.
my wife and i are talking about finding some land and she wants to look north and i want to stay below the mason dixon.
After 25 years of living in Miami, it was time to go!
Too crowded & very expensive !

My daughter got out of the navy and came to live in Killeen. She landed here because because the college she went to was in Belton and just stayed here after her graduation.

A couple of years of visiting her and next thing you know I officially retired and we decided to be near the daughter and grandson!

Life is sure different here compared to Miami!
I’m really looking forward to do a lot of cruising both in my bus and on my Harley, lots of wide open roads here !

Look me up if you ever back for a family visit!
Old 05-22-2023, 10:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Welcome to the jungle !

Got 2 buses in progress.

Ewo, I've found an already converted skoolie that I'm planning to puchase from someone in Fort Hood. I thought it would be wise to have a bus mechanic or diesel mechanic give it an inspection before taking possession. Anyone in the area you can recommend? Panning to come there next Tuesday to close the deal and pick the bus up. Thanks in advance.
HustleBusHyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 01:36 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HustleBusHyl View Post
Ewo, I've found an already converted skoolie that I'm planning to puchase from someone in Fort Hood. I thought it would be wise to have a bus mechanic or diesel mechanic give it an inspection before taking possession. Anyone in the area you can recommend? Panning to come there next Tuesday to close the deal and pick the bus up. Thanks in advance.
I am really new to this area and i am still learning who is who and what they do.

These guys, Top Frog Diesel, i know they work on the fort hood, now called fort calavazos, fleet of transport buses.
I would give them a call.
Their number is 254- 699-3764.

I have driven by their place quite a few times and always see busses or rv’s in their lot.

I am not a qualified mechanic but i’d be happy to meet you out there and help you analyze what the bus is made of .
Old 05-23-2023, 05:03 PM   #10

Year: 2005
Can't post anything. I keep getting the LOG IN message when I try, and however many times I relog in, with my name in the log in box welcoming me. Help!
blueman8898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 05:19 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman8898 View Post
Can't post anything. I keep getting the LOG IN message when I try, and however many times I relog in, with my name in the log in box welcoming me. Help!
clear your cookies and cache and try again...
Old 06-30-2023, 09:34 PM   #12

Quote:
I am really new to this area and i am still learning who is who and what they do.

These guys, Top Frog Diesel, i know they work on the fort hood, now called fort calavazos, fleet of transport buses.
I would give them a call.
Their number is 254- 699-3764.

I have driven by their place quite a few times and always see busses or rv’s in their lot.

I am not a qualified mechanic but i’d be happy to meet you out there and help you analyze what the bus is made of .
Ewo, I wanted to thank you for your recommendation of Top Frog Diesel. I took the skoolie I was looking to purchase to them for an inspection and they were great. Turns out the skoolie was in great shape. Thank you.
HustleBusHyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 09:54 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HustleBusHyl View Post
Ewo, I wanted to thank you for your recommendation of Top Frog Diesel. I took the skoolie I was looking to purchase to them for an inspection and they were great. Turns out the skoolie was in great shape. Thank you.
Glad I could help!