Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2021, 09:23 PM   #1

Howdy! What are the essential skills?

I’ve been intrigued with skoolies off and on for years. I’m a fairly handy person but I’m not really sure a DIY skoolie is practical for me or not.

What are the essential skills for doing a conversion? I’ll definitely have to have someone do engine and similar mechanicals, but fortunately my best friend’s hubby is a diesel mechanic (most of our locally available buses are diesel) and actually worked for a time as a mechanic for the district. 😂 I’ll have to pay him but I’m sure I can work that part out and maybe get some edumacation on how to do minor work in the future. Hopefully will find a bus that doesn’t need a crap ton of work…if I go this route.

So, what are your absolutely essential skills to make a conversion feasible? What skills are on your would be really nice to have but you can do without, if you have to?

Thanks!

DianaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:36 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
The first one is humility. Being willing to listen to others that have traveled this path. Patience will also be needed too. Can't get in a hurry. The rest you can learn along the way.
Old 10-01-2021, 09:47 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaJo View Post
What are the essential skills?
Stupidity, and persistence in the face of apparent catastrophe.
Old 10-02-2021, 10:42 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Based on what you've said you probably only need one skill--that of being able to repeatedly write, sign and cover very large checks. I'd suggest you find a completed skoolie you think you could live with and hire your GF's diesel mechanic husband to check it out for you.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 02:33 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Patience, electrical troubleshooting, knowledge of wiring, having a garage full of tools ..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Some of the previous answers have focused on personal traits rather than skills. I think it's because the real answer to your question is "every skill". You would ideally be an expert plumber, electrician, mechanic, carpenter, welder, architect, etc. before you start. Since (almost) nobody has all those skillsets, it's more useful to identify the personal qualities that may help you from going insane along the way.

In addition to everything already mentioned, I would add that if you plan on doing much of the work yourself, it really helps if you enjoy solving problems and learning new things. If several years of research, asking questions, and watching YouTube How-to videos sounds exciting, then you're in the right place. If that all sounds like a dreadful chore, then ol trunt's checkbook idea might be your best bet.
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 03:25 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
You have some skills that can be utilized and glean your friends for the rest You'll be a handy person to have around when your finished.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:04 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Girardin
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 6.6 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: ?
Hi there DianaJo. I too am a pretty "handy person" as a rule. I really have very little mechanical knowledge and will absolutely be servicing my bus at a mechanic. I will hopefully be proactive with maintenance and fair well on the road. It is not real for me to learn diesel mechanics at this point in my life. As far as the build, I am using some previous life skills, common sense, and lots of reading and listening. Combine that with persistence, patience, and a whole lot of faith in myself and it WILL come together. It will not be of the caliber of many of the fantastic builds that i see here, but it will be mine. I will own the good, the bad, and the ugly. Hopefully can hide some of the ugly. My advice is to look at what you really want in your heart. If the timeline and finances allow, I say go for it. Just keep the expectations real. Best wishes, Elizabeth.
Buster Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:37 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Cummins 5.9l 24 valve
Rated Cap: 78
Electrical knowledge:
DC electrical theory
How to SAFELY use a digital multimeter
Troubleshooting (understand cause and effect electrically)
How to read a wiring schematic (specifically the one for your vehicle)
How to check fuses
Solar power wiring
AC to DC conversion and DC to AC conversion
Ohms law equations

This would be some examples of what’s good to know electrically , it’s not exhaustive or meant to be overwhelming, any of those topics can easily be searched and you will be able to find pages of YouTube videos or other tutorials. Your mechanic can even show you how to do some of that stuff. There will be similar lists for plumbing and structural knowledge. A lot of what you learn will be experiential and you will learn what you need to know for your specific bus. None of this is out of the realm of possibility and remember what Musashi said: “ when you learn the way broadly you will see it in all things” or more specifically the more you learn about the more you will notice similarities to other things that you learn.
Samweld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 02:24 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post

In addition to everything already mentioned, I would add that if you plan on doing much of the work yourself, it really helps if you enjoy solving problems and learning new things. If several years of research, asking questions, and watching YouTube How-to videos sounds exciting, then you're in the right place. If that all sounds like a dreadful chore, then ol trunt's checkbook idea might be your best bet.
Agreed. For absolute beginners, the key skill is enjoying the challenge of learning as you go. You will spend a lot of time becoming knowledgeable about plumbing, carpentry, electrical, to the degree that your bus conversion requires.

The second key skill is dogged persistence.

I would add a third key skill is the ability to keep the build simple as possible to shorten the time from plunking down the cash on a bus to first overnight trip. This means phasing the work so you get the basics in, with room to add or expand the conversion work without ripping things out.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:48 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
The first one is humility. Being willing to listen to others that have traveled this path. Patience will also be needed too. Can't get in a hurry. The rest you can learn along the way.
This is probably the best advice. Know your limitations and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:03 PM   #12

Engine: hoping for a cat 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Based on what you've said you probably only need one skill--that of being able to repeatedly write, sign and cover very large checks. I'd suggest you find a completed skoolie you think you could live with and hire your GF's diesel mechanic husband to check it out for you.
Jack
Dear Multi-Geek,

Wait! Can I comment on that reply? You see, I am hoping to buy a short bus, hoping to find a Collins, 4 or 5 window bus with a Chevy 6 liter diesel engine or similar. I know very little about mechanical/electrical/conversion in general. But I do know how to tent camp and live anywhere with everything on my back. Would not a bus that I have paid to be checkout out before buying, my porta potty, ice chest, and my mattrress be fine for now?

I was hoping to start there and paycheck by paycheck build on over the years.

What do you think?

signed,
gotta get outta here/away from this concrete city.....
rberkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:37 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberkley View Post
Dear Multi-Geek,

Wait! Can I comment on that reply? You see, I am hoping to buy a short bus, hoping to find a Collins, 4 or 5 window bus with a Chevy 6 liter diesel engine or similar. I know very little about mechanical/electrical/conversion in general. But I do know how to tent camp and live anywhere with everything on my back. Would not a bus that I have paid to be checkout out before buying, my porta potty, ice chest, and my mattrress be fine for now?

I was hoping to start there and paycheck by paycheck build on over the years.

What do you think?

signed,
gotta get outta here/away from this concrete city.....
Stay positive. There's a lot of misc expenses involved in owning a bus but you can do it if you're determined and resourceful.
Happy traveling
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:46 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberkley View Post
Dear Multi-Geek,
Wait, was this directed to me? If so, that's the best misspelling of my username yet!
Old 10-31-2021, 08:02 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaJo View Post
...what...skills to make a conversion...
Imagination.
Observation.
Ears open, mouth shut.
Sense of humor.
Sense of wonder.
Tiny steps in tiny stages... instead of diving into TheDeepEnd, then discovering a sense of over-whelmed.
My skill is networking, bringing people together, talking with anybody about anything.
Explorer nature.
One of my hobbies is walking wrecking-yards (aka 'vehicle dismantlers').
I am fascinated by the ways vehicles burn, wreck, wear out.
Among my top five 'absolutely essential' skills:
"I do not know how to do this. Who can I ask for help?"
I tend to see any vehicle as a potential home:
* Toyota Pry-us?
* Walk-in work van?
* Semi-trailer delivering soda-pops?
* House-boat, barge, tug, ferry?
I seem to possess a cold calculated sense of impending disaster.
This helps me assess a project as financially-feasible or a money-losing hobby.
Hint -- each has its time/place...
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote