Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2020, 11:24 PM   #1

Howdy Y’all

Man that intro is so Texan, anyway new to the forum and to the Skoolie scene. Little about me been married for 25 years this coming August, 2 daughters one in college going for her masters, the other a junior in high school that will be off to college in 2021. The wife and I have always wanted to travel once the kids were off to college and I think building a skoolie and having it ready to go once the youngest heads off to college will be our best bet. Planning on selling the houses we own and live permanently in the skoolie. So looking for suggestions/opinions for the best platform to build on. I personally would prefer a flat nose bus similar to the coaches we normally see for public transportation, however it’s not a deal breaker if one comes across with other better features. Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Kimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 02:53 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
full time... no fixed base..... um

I think a full sized bus, like ex greyhound kind of thing..... detroit diesel straight six 71 called a 6-71, 6v71 or 8v71 are my picks... older all mechanical diesels, you can still find all the parts for them...

Older ones like from 1940's made by GMC up to some newer ones made by Eagle or mci......... the shortest I have ever seen is about 32 feet long, the long ones are what 40 feet?

brake, steering, suspension all big stuff like semi truck kind of big, but you also have the most storage underneath and room inside.

suggestion... go to you tube... look for videos made by a guy called "bus grease monkey" decide if these things are a right fit for you.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 04:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
I think a full sized bus, like ex greyhound kind of thing..... detroit diesel straight six 71 called a 6-71, 6v71 or 8v71 are my picks... older all mechanical diesels, you can still find all the parts for them...

Older ones like from 1940's made by GMC up to some newer ones made by Eagle or mci......... the shortest I have ever seen is about 32 feet long, the long ones are what 40 feet?

brake, steering, suspension all big stuff like semi truck kind of big, but you also have the most storage underneath and room inside.

suggestion... go to you tube... look for videos made by a guy called "bus grease monkey" decide if these things are a right fit for you.

william
Will do, thanks for the information.
Kimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:29 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
You may also be able to go to a bus yard (place that sells unsed buses) and test drive a few different versions. Once you get a feel for what you like, you can start the search.

Also, you may be able to rent an RV for a week or two and travel a bit in it to see if that is something y'all might like to do.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote