Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2015, 02:04 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via AIM to KeiroD Send a message via Yahoo to KeiroD Send a message via Skype™ to KeiroD
Hurro from Ohio!

Hi.

I'm here mostly because I've finally decided it's time to own a bus. Not an RV, not a van. A bus to convert.

Obviously, this forum's one of the best places to look for such information and get help with my project. I can tell this is going to be a multi-year project based on my off-and-on research on this subject going back roughly three years.

I'm a 27-year old deaf systems administrator living in Ohio... currently at a homeless shelter. Long story short, I'm basically tired of paying for rent and utilities and having to move around multiple times a year. It's not uncommon for me to move twice or more per year... but usually at least twice.

A bus would be much easier to maintain. And besides... it's long past time I stopped screwing around and got serious about actually having a way of living in a place of my own... with how much I move around.

KeiroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Welcome, I live about and hour away. My daughter is in Y-town attending Youngstown State. Remember that many people and some campgrounds don't like skoolies and will give you a hard time. Have you considered something a little more stealth?
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via AIM to KeiroD Send a message via Yahoo to KeiroD Send a message via Skype™ to KeiroD
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
Welcome, I live about and hour away. My daughter is in Y-town attending Youngstown State. Remember that many people and some campgrounds don't like skoolies and will give you a hard time. Have you considered something a little more stealth?
Thanks for the welcome!

Yes. I opted to not go with something that'd be more stealth. Obviously, this will take time to deal with but personally... I don't care if people don't like it. If I get hassled, I'll simply move on and put my money towards those that don't mind my presence.

I'll have a van as well for local transportation whenever the bus is parked for longer than a day.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Suggestion then- find a flat-nosed transit style bus, particularly since they look like a Class A. Sheet over as many of the bus windows as possible and replace with RV or transit bus windows. Read through as many build threads, including The Brown Crown, as you can.

And welcome

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:41 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
Suggestion then- find a flat-nosed transit style bus, particularly since they look like a Class A. Sheet over as many of the bus windows as possible and replace with RV or transit bus windows. Read through as many build threads, including The Brown Crown, as you can.

And welcome
Ironically, I had already come to the decision of going with a flat-nosed school bus. I was planning on replacing most, if not all of the windows with sheet metal or something similar, then do as you suggested.

I have a fair amount of notes, plans in some detail for how I'd want to customize the bus. I came here both to pick others' brains and to pick up a bus if at all possible, flat-nosed or not, depending on how willing an owner was in negotiations when it comes to finances.

I also plan on doing the conversion myself full-time, with help as and where needed.

Thanks for your suggestions and welcome!