Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2021, 10:46 PM   #1

I can't wait to be homeless

I have had a life long dream to just travel. Now with the kids grown and gone, and the house for sale, I am excited to buy a bus and start our conversion. #40isthenew20

DugFunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 11:06 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
You're never homeless when you can drive your home wherever you want. Welcome!
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 11:36 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
You're never homeless when you can drive your home wherever you want. Welcome!
Unless it has been towed to the shop for repairs.

I recommend a trailer as your nomadic home.

And renting your home instead of selling it, home prices are sky high, but so are rents. A guy I know rents his house and lives in a motorhome around town and is making good bank.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:49 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
A guy I know rents his house and lives in a motorhome around town...
Now you know two! We rent our house on AirBnB and it's booked solid...while we live in a bus.

Anyway, DugFunny, good for you...following your dream on the path you design. An RV or prior conversion is the quickest path to the road, but some of us like the build too...and that's part of the adventure.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 03:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Now you know two! We rent our house on AirBnB and it's booked solid...while we live in a bus.

Anyway, DugFunny, good for you...following your dream on the path you design. An RV or prior conversion is the quickest path to the road, but some of us like the build too...and that's part of the adventure.
Thank you!
The build is all apart of the adventure. With nearly 200 custom homes and a lifetime of mechanicing everything from light wheel to heavy equipment. I believe I can use my entire skill set all in one single project.
The renting idea sounds like it needs considering.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:26 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
while rents are high so are people's propensity not to pay.. and the go vernment seems to be protecting the deadbeats against landlords more and more.. pandemic era eviction protections keep getting extended or weakened or temporarily cancelled (with the idea the moratorium can go back in effect should covid make a serious return).. you couldnt pay me enough to rent a house or apartment out right now. sale prices are sky high.. take the equity and invest it .. keep it as a rainy day fund in case you need to replace your engine or have a major repair like a crash that has you shacked up in a hotel for 2 weeks or more..

far too many people out there trying to be nomads that are broker than broke...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
while rents are high so are people's propensity not to pay.. and the go vernment seems to be protecting the deadbeats against landlords more and more.. pandemic era eviction protections keep getting extended or weakened or temporarily cancelled (with the idea the moratorium can go back in effect should covid make a serious return).. you couldnt pay me enough to rent a house or apartment out right now. sale prices are sky high.. take the equity and invest it .. keep it as a rainy day fund in case you need to replace your engine or have a major repair like a crash that has you shacked up in a hotel for 2 weeks or more..

far too many people out there trying to be nomads that are broker than broke...
I am far from broke kid. I haven't owned a credit card since the 1900's and have been totally debt free since then. I do agree that renting seems like a hassle but I have a good location for short term Air BNB, so it's worth researching. Every little bit of residual income adds up. Thats why I can retire at 40.
Old 07-06-2021, 12:49 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
air BnB is much better in my opinion than renting on a lease.. im not saying you are broke i made a general statement as there are many who are.. my main point is that people are really starting to view paying lease rent as optional.. ( a buddy of mine with a 4 unit apartment has 0 revenue from it and hasnt had any revenue since late summer after 2 tenants that HAVE GOOD JOBS stopped paying along with the 2 collecting UE.. he cant evict any of them).. with Air BnB as long as you put your ducks in a row with compplying to local regulations(parties and ruckus mititgation) and have someone who can regularly service your property (make the bed sweep the floor etc) then its a good win as its more like a hospitality suite than a regular rental.. you can stand to do pretty well with that and have your house to fall back on should you need it..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
air BnB is much better in my opinion than renting on a lease.. im not saying you are broke i made a general statement as there are many who are.. my main point is that people are really starting to view paying lease rent as optional.. ( a buddy of mine with a 4 unit apartment has 0 revenue from it and hasnt had any revenue since late summer after 2 tenants that HAVE GOOD JOBS stopped paying along with the 2 collecting UE.. he cant evict any of them).. with Air BnB as long as you put your ducks in a row with compplying to local regulations(parties and ruckus mititgation) and have someone who can regularly service your property (make the bed sweep the floor etc) then its a good win as its more like a hospitality suite than a regular rental.. you can stand to do pretty well with that and have your house to fall back on should you need it..
Good stuff man.