Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2023, 09:41 AM   #1

I don't know what I'm doing

Hi! My name is Kennedy. I live in Chattanooga Tennessee. I don't have a Skoolie yet but I'm making plans. I know nothing about renovating or any of this but I'm excited to learn. I'm going to get a personal loan to afford the renovations. I'm wanting to buy a Skoolie and get started in the next 6 months because I don't want to have to sign another 6 month lease in the apartment complex I'm at. One of my biggest problems at the moment is I have no idea where I'm going to be able to do the renovations. I don't know anyone with land or space that would allow me to do it on their property. I also don't have any tools. My grandfather has some that I'm sure he'd let me borrow but probably not a lot of the power tools and stuff I'll be needing. So I'm curious about a way to get tools too without having to spend a bunch of money on them. I need a lot of advice and guidance right now. I'm trying to do my research but I have A LOT to learn if I'm gonna start this up in 6 months. Please I will take any help or advice.

Kennedylk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 10:45 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
First, you need to have an inexpensive place to keep the bus and work on it. Inexpensive because converting a bus to a livable space will take longer than you think...just ask this board, most of us underestimated both time and money.
Also, inexpensive will help when you get frustrated and need to walk away for a few days/weeks.
Once you find a place then you can start shopping for your bus, that too will take time because you will need to be patient to get the best bus for you.
Mean while, you can accumulate some tools, skil-saw, electric drill, angle grinder, bits, blades and such can all be found at about any pawn shop. Yard sales would be another option.
Be patient, read a bunch of the build threads on this website to get a better grasp on time requirements. Keep in mind, that most of us have at least basic skills. So learning as you build may cost a bit more time.
Best of luck!
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 10:49 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
look for tools on craigslist, habitat for humanity restore goodwill or any yard sale thrift shop. make sure you check prices at harbor freight before buying used. the first tool question here is what was the most useful tool we used. lots of threads on how to do things here by people that actually did it. be wary of you tube. make sure you find a place to work on it where you wont get short notice to leave. if your grandfather has tools he might like to help and get a good first aid kit.
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 11:21 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I noticed the "I dont want a new lease" in your message.. aso you have to think about where you will live day to day and how you will pay for day to day life.. unless you have land and are going to live pretty archaic you will have things to pay for like fuel for driving, heat, cool, etc.. solar is great until its cloudy for 4 days in a row..

if you are taking a loan for the build make sure you plan for the unexpected.. if your bus breaks down and is in the shop for a few days. you have to not only pay for a repair but also a place to stay as most shops wont let you live in your rig while its worked on..

fuel isnt cheap, insurance isnt cheap, if you are buying food you need to keep produce and meat cold all the time...

how will you make a living? remote work requires internet.. where will you park if full timing? walmart to walmart will again cost in fuel...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 12:01 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Chassis: IC RE (PB30500)
Engine: Maxxforce DT
I don't know your living situation; but if you're looking for a quick build like 6 months and not sure about where to store it during the process, you may be better off with a van build for now. Easier to store, faster and cheaper to convert. Think of it like a stepping stone on your way to the full bus build. You'll get some experience in with tools, insulation, plumbing, and electrical. You can also save up the money for your bus build while living in the van.
Lots of older cheap vans on FB marketplace that would make a great starting place.
Old 05-28-2023, 12:01 PM   #6

So Im going to see about living with my grandparents during renovations. They shouldn't have a problem with it and it'll be free living.
Once the bus is done renovating I'm going to see about working out a deal with where my boyfriend works. He lives on site of a rafting company and I'm pretty certain if I help around with some work there they will let me park it for free indefinitely. I will not be doing a ton of traveling for a while. I have a good job and make good money so I plan to use that time to save as much money as I can. While also figuring out a job I can have when I do start to move around and travel more. If my bus needs to be worked on I will just stay with my boyfriend during that time.
So I won't have many costs when it comes to fuel. Just will be paying the loan, insurance, and whatever electrical will cost me. I plan to be mostly solar but will have back up power set in place for cloudy times.
Financially I'm not really that concerned. I'm more concerned about where I'm going to renovate it and the process of renovating itself.
Old 05-28-2023, 12:09 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Join Skoolie.net, First ☑

Well done, logging in here first, before you jump in.

You ought to read the experiences of the builder/owners who have taken this journey, before you. Their stories can be found by using the [Search] feature, above. Click the [●Skoolie]
button, for skoolie.net specific results.

Within these threads, I've read of many pitfalls, landmines & failures. I'm also thankful for the testimonials of experience, strength & hope.

-------------------

Depending on your available man-hours, cash-flow & build-site, financing a retired bus may be more burden than solution.

Owners of large projects: planes, boats & RVs... are burdened with securely housing an oversized vehicle in a place where repairs are authorized.

I already had a space in the backyard, where I've worked on projects, before I brought this monster home. No rush.

Please keep an open mind as our members offer to you, their challenges & real world experiences.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 01:45 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
look for tools on craigslist, habitat for humanity restore goodwill or any yard sale thrift shop. make sure you check prices at harbor freight before buying used. the first tool question here is what was the most useful tool we used. lots of threads on how to do things here by people that actually did it. be wary of you tube. make sure you find a place to work on it where you wont get short notice to leave. if your grandfather has tools he might like to help and get a good first aid kit.
The opportunity may exist for your grandfather to pass on some wisdom. Maybe if you ask him to "teach" you he would be willing to help. Lots of older people would welcome the chance to pass on some knowledge to their grandkids.
Old 05-28-2023, 02:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnYardCamp View Post
The opportunity may exist for your grandfather to pass on some wisdom. Maybe if you ask him to "teach" you he would be willing to help. Lots of older people would welcome the chance to pass on some knowledge to their grandkids.
I will definitely be asking him for any help and advice. He is actually quite handy and has good experience with building and wood working. And he would probably be thrilled to teach me what he knows
Old 05-28-2023, 05:06 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 12V 5.9
What if you went and lived with the grandparents and waited on the right converted bus to put your final touches on? Someone's loss could very well be your gain and save you a lot of time.

You'd be able to save and avoid a loan, you don't have immediate travel plans so no rush to buy something right away. A van also may be a good starting point and there are also some really cool things on facebook's Overlanding for the poors that don't require busses or vans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedylk View Post
So Im going to see about living with my grandparents during renovations. They shouldn't have a problem with it and it'll be free living.
Once the bus is done renovating I'm going to see about working out a deal with where my boyfriend works. He lives on site of a rafting company and I'm pretty certain if I help around with some work there they will let me park it for free indefinitely. I will not be doing a ton of traveling for a while. I have a good job and make good money so I plan to use that time to save as much money as I can. While also figuring out a job I can have when I do start to move around and travel more. If my bus needs to be worked on I will just stay with my boyfriend during that time.
So I won't have many costs when it comes to fuel. Just will be paying the loan, insurance, and whatever electrical will cost me. I plan to be mostly solar but will have back up power set in place for cloudy times.
Financially I'm not really that concerned. I'm more concerned about where I'm going to renovate it and the process of renovating itself.
La Camioneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 05:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Camioneta View Post
What if you went and lived with the grandparents and waited on the right converted bus to put your final touches on? Someone's loss could very well be your gain and save you a lot of time.

You'd be able to save and avoid a loan, you don't have immediate travel plans so no rush to buy something right away. A van also may be a good starting point and there are also some really cool things on facebook's Overlanding for the poors that don't require busses or vans.
So I don't wanna be at my grandparents house for a crazy amount of time.. and I'm just so done with apartment living idk what else to do. I really like the idea of having it fully customized to how I would like it. I know it'll be a lot of work but I'm willing to do it. I luckily only work 4 days a week. I'd have half the day on Saturday and all day Sunday Monday and Tuesdays to be working on the renovations. A loan isn't ideal but if I don't do a loan I'd have to save for a really long time to be able to afford the renovations. I may be able to get a smaller loan since I won't have a lot of other expenses I'll be able to put most my money towards renovations. I just don't want to be put off or slowed down because I don't have funds. And I can sign on another 6 month lease and give myself more time. I'm just sick of dishing out sooooo much money on living expenses for literally nothing. Especially for a space I can't change or do much with. I also have a lot of stuff Id be selling furniture wise that would go towards funds for renovations. I'm planning to buy the bus out right, no loan on that. The loan would just be for renovations. So instead of doing a 30k loan I could probably get by on a 20k loan.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:03 PM   #12
Bus Nut

maybe talk to your bank/credit union. I would expect that any loan for the purpose of converting a bus would have to be a "signature" loan as the bus, converted or not, isn't going to meet the collateral expectations of any financial institution.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnYardCamp View Post
maybe talk to your bank/credit union. I would expect that any loan for the purpose of converting a bus would have to be a "signature" loan as the bus, converted or not, isn't going to meet the collateral expectations of any financial institution.
I've looked at rates for loans. I could be approved for a 35k 6 year loan and pay 730 a month. If I got a smaller loan those monthly payments would be way less. But 730 a month would be easily doable for me
Old 05-29-2023, 12:42 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedylk View Post
I've looked at rates for loans. I could be approved for a 35k 6 year loan and pay 730 a month. If I got a smaller loan those monthly payments would be way less. But 730 a month would be easily doable for me
The general conversion-cost advice seems to be, "make careful time and dollar estimates, then double them". Some suggest doubling them again.

One thing that can stop you dead in your tracks is insurance. Definitely figure out what's required in your state as far as an RV conversion goes, AND make sure your insurance company is willing to write you a policy. Search this site and you'll find a lot of people who've discovered the insurance part the hard way over the years.
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 06:20 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 12V 5.9
[QUOTE=Polarweasel;492540]The general conversion-cost advice seems to be, "make careful time and dollar estimates, then double them". Some suggest doubling them again.

Strong second on this one.

We see so many examples of people that start conversions undercapitalized that get stuck with a bus they can't afford to finish or make major repairs to.

Spend some time on the FB skoolie pages, there's plenty of heartbreak. People run out of money and try to sell partly-converted busses. That bus is worth no more to a buyer than one with seats still in. Or they break down and get towed into repair facilities and the owner can't pay to get it fixed. All of the hard work and money is gone.

Despite the instagram hype, the sad story is that way more skoolies wind up ruining rather than improving their owner's lives. We're trying to gently steer you towards something with less catastrophic consequences if things don't go as planned.
La Camioneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 11:10 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Absolutes & Risks vs Speculation & Gambles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarweasel View Post
The general conversion-cost advice seems to be, "make careful time and dollar estimates, then double them". Some suggest doubling them again.
-----------------

$35k in value of purchaced materials will absolutely cost $52,560 (+closing fees) to repay, per OP finance terms.
No $7000 bus (ins, tag, title, reg) yet, just accumulating the financing debt to show $18k in upfront losses, in all scenarios.

Best case, jackpot:
All goes as planned. Dreamy, even. One year to build, plus five more traveling, without breakdowns. Free camp, solar & water. Totaling $730/mo +fuel for six years. Saving thousands. Yay! Sell bus, buy home.

What else is on the Roulette Wheel?

Always at risk:
Maybe you live at g-momma's & save no more than you have socked away, thus far in life. Two years pass. BF gone. Bus needs mechanical repair.

Then what? Back into an apt w/ an unfinished bus, stocked full of building materials/ appliances and you carrying a $52k loan burden.

Will you keep the $7000 bus until the loan is paid off & the material is outdated or undesirable? Any leaks or rodents at g-momma's?

We often see failed conversions, where the seller hopes to include the uninstalled items, stored in their bus. Often tens of thousands spent in retail purchases, now obsolete, misused or altered. Further depreciating the second hand value of said retail goods.

Please check the classifieds to bear witness to the aforementioned outcomes.

Liquidation sale
In six years & $60k later, the conversion's resale value may be no more than the original auction price. Less, if the AC & Heat has been removed.

Builders, who do purchace unfinished convertions, typically gut & dispose the original owner's diy project to build their own dream.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 03:15 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
I was building my skoolie but came to the realization that it would take me 6 years to finish and possibly more. I was propositioned to sell mine so I did and bought a coach that needed cosmetic refresh. Been enjoying it with my wife and feels like I could just live in it and not need to tinker with things. I paid 51k for this 44' Newell coach. Previous owner took care of some expensive things such as airbags and suspension bits. I finished it off with an interior renovation all done by myself with the exception of wallpaper and tile.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4749.jpg   IMG_5739.jpg   IMG_1994.jpg   IMG_2682.jpg   IMG_3878.jpg  

Old 05-30-2023, 07:44 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
lots of comments telling the cons. me and my wife been doing ours for 5 years now. just got it livable last sept when i retired from over the road trucking. finally getting things done but i aint busting my ass no more. i really like not paying rent or shoveling snow. if you want to do it do it. when i first showed up here a few gave me crap as we are using a recirculating shower (google showerloop ) but i learned to ignore those morons do what you want as we all had to learn how to do what we wanted. pay attention as this is the internet and be wary of who you trust. do a lot of reading and figure out who to ask. i spent 15 years over the road in trucks with air brakes and bought a bus without them as i like the hydraulic disk
better
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 01:46 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2011
Coachwork: Thomas C2
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 6.7L
Rated Cap: 48 seat 30ft
I would definitely try to find something you can Airbnb for a night or two to try tiny living, most of us like the no rent factor but also like renovating things and have skills in this area from DIY - my background is in residential and commercial painting so I got chatting to a lot of builders when building out a two storey tiny home on wheels. That was my first big build, sold it to finance a bus in nz, built that but even with some contractor skills it was tough work (I am also female bodied).

This being my second bus build I spent 1k on m18 tools (everything I own is in nz including my power tools) as I didn’t have power where I park my bus.

I bought it in dec hoping to get a bit done over winter but it’s my first winter below zero c and I didn’t get ANYTHING done except plan. Even those plans didn’t achieve much. Am now in the grit of it, and plan to be building out interior this month and getting it ready for living in. I guess if you have unlimited finances you can pay others to do a lot of the demo and build out, but it’s also not impossible to do over time as funds become available. For me this works out best as I’m saving hundreds by waiting on certain things to be on sale, or fb marketplace treasures.

It’s basically a camping lifestyle though, it suits some but not most. A van is a great stepping stone, I have one with hitch so I can pull a trailer with water tanks, kitchen, propane and toilet space, as well as full solar. Means I can park it u and drive van separately. But same floor space as a bus total. Would also give you more bus space if using trailer behind for stuff like outhouse/shower. I’ve preferred having a sep toilet area myself, but my setups apart from van have been pretty stationary.
Sprout.sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 04:44 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
lots of comments telling the cons. me and my wife been doing ours for 5 years now. just got it livable last sept when i retired from over the road trucking. finally getting things done but i aint busting my ass no more. i really like not paying rent or shoveling snow. if you want to do it do it. when i first showed up here a few gave me crap as we are using a recirculating shower (google showerloop ) but i learned to ignore those morons do what you want as we all had to learn how to do what we wanted. pay attention as this is the internet and be wary of who you trust. do a lot of reading and figure out who to ask. i spent 15 years over the road in trucks with air brakes and bought a bus without them as i like the hydraulic disk
better
What fantastic advice! Especially the bit about the morons who gave you crap. Remind me about this the next time you post a question.

To the original poster: we morons are simply trying to alert you to the challenges and downsides facing someone in your shoes.

By all means take Mmoore's advice about taking any advice from the Internet with a grain of salt; but in this forum, especially in this forum, we do our best to share our experiences and provide the best (and most thoughtful) advice we can.

Happy travels.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice needed, needhelp