Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2022, 06:44 AM   #1

I’m new and wonder what would be your dream bus

Hey, I’m reading threads and see reply’s about don’t get a Thomas bus because of the sloped walls. don’t get this Diesel engine because it’s not durable. I thought I wanted a type A but after reading descriptions of buses, maybe my bus would be a type B.

What engine could I find in a type b and which one should I focus my find on?
How many miles on the engine is ideal?
How much should I expect to spend for original purchase?
What don’t I know and should know when looking?

Maybe that’s a good start? Thanks in advance.

Rakubum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:17 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Take Your Time

Hi, Rakubum. Yes, there are known pitfalls and landmines to avoid yet a variety of opinions are specific to a builders needs.
-Thomas sloped walls, for instance, might be considered problematic for framing or a roof raise. I'd call that one a myth. The slopes are real, the challenges are not.
-Buying a rusty bus from the Salt Belt applies to all, true that.
-Choosing a cutaway van vs a RE full size is more specific to each builder's intended use.

You mentioned weekend camper and future retirement travel in your first post. Just you, plus one? BLM lands or private RV resorts? Is "stealth" camping a requirement? If you camp now, what camp gear goes with? Tow or carry a vehicle? Off road adventures? Tell us more about your camping needs.

Maybe LargeMarge, Hamskoolie & the rest of the gang can help find your mission statement. We can probably assist to narrow down your search & understand the reasons for each opinions regarding the best tool bus for each job. You'll be able to decide the best match for your needs.

Prices are all over the map. $2k is still out there, $5k is shelf stock, greed prices go up from there.

Read the Ten Skoolie Commandments:
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/t...nts-35502.html

Be well
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 09:54 AM   #3

Yes taking my time is something that I need to work on. I am now realizing that I do need to come up with an action plan and would LOVE any guidance anyone could provide. It’s just me and a couple of dogs, not huge dogs, around 30-40 pounds. I haven’t done any BLM camping but I’ve researched it. I have camped in the Smokies in a tent, near the beach in my tiny pop up, until recently all of my camping has been tent camping. I have now a tiny hybrid pop up (coachman clipper express 9.0 td) which is basically a bed on wheels. I don’t feel safe in it so a hard shell with good locks would give me more comfort. Stealth camping is a new concept that I had to google before responding here. IDK if I would do much, but if I’m traveling cross county that may be times I wouldn’t have many other options. I live on the East Coast and my siblings live in California.

When I camp in the pop up I have now, I pack food for me and 3-4 dogs. Two are seniors so I don’t think I will have more than 2 by the time my conversion is completed. I have a tiny refrigerator that is only big enough for a dozen eggs, some yogurt, maybe enough food for a day or so. My bed is a double and is really comfortable after adding a 3 inch foam topper.

I would like a bigger refrigerator. I don’t know how the electrical would work in a skoolie. Does it keep the frig cold while driving? My camper does not. So I have to bring a cooler. Just more to pack. I have a Subaru Outback with a roof rack. It gets tight when packing. I’m guessing during the planning phase, research on electrical options is a MUST!

Once at my destination there’s set up and then break down. That is the most tiring part for me. I’m in my mid-60s. I want to pull in, or back up, and plug in and be DONE! Another question would come up is shore power. I can plug in my 30 amp camper plug for lights, heat, ac and the frig. My camper has a 12 volt battery that recharges while I’m driving - is that an option for a bus? I have a small generator that I could bring along, I think it’s enough to just run a frig and maybe a light. But it’s noisy and smelly. It would be just for emergencies I would suppose. But more weight to carry. Do I have to worry about weight of stuff I bring with a Skoolie?

I like the option of a kitchen inside if the weather is bad but I would cook outside most of the time. My little camper has a gas stove with it. In campgrounds I like to have a fire. Most campgrounds you have to buy locally kiln dried firewood, so carrying a few bundles of that would be nice.

I’ve been a cautious camper where I don’t venture off road. I don’t want to get myself stuck, so I would stick to established roads.

My first RV park was Myrtle Beach State campground. It had hot showers, I have a little pop-up with a toilet. I don’t need a shower but a inside toilet, like a composting type would fit my needs. An outside shower with hot water would be awesome!

I want a place to keep my dogs secure while driving in crates with tie downs. Cabinets for my clothes, cookware and dry goods.

towing another vehicle being me is probably not necessary. I usually have everything I need when I arrive so I don’t need to venture out again. So back to the refrigerator, can it be wired to run during traveling?

More questions will come and I’m a sponge right now and ready to get this plan started! Thank you!
Rakubum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:28 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Busless for now
I have a truck camper that has a 3 cubic foot, 3 way fridge. It keeps stuff very cold when driving. as long as the truck engine is keeping the camper battery charged, it works good on 12-volt. Once I arrive at the destination, I plug into the campground AC pedestal or switch it to propane if boondocking.

Sometimes it gets too cold.

Study some threads here dealing with basic electrical system design and decide how you want to use your bus. I'm still looking and waiting for the right one to come along myself.

Lots of very smart folks here with good advice.
Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 02:34 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
It seems that you have a few ideas about what you want to do. Look at other's work to get some ideas of what can be done and how it was done. After that, I would suggest you compile all of these into a list of requirements. I did this in my thread called "The conversion of my 86 Crown Supercoach". What you can do with a skoolie is limited by your imagination and your wallet. I certainly don't have all the answers, and occasionally have asked for information/opinions while working on mine.

A couple things to consider:
1) A conversion from a school bus or any other suitable vehicle will take more work and time than you think.
2) It will likely cost more than you think to do it.

However, if/when you get it done you may find that the end product is what you wanted, and it could be better than anything you could buy on the RV lot.
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:16 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Sloping walls on a Thomas? Ha! That's nothing compared to the walls of any Crown. It's just part of the fun to deal with and overcome problems like that. With judicious use of appropriate wood or plywood it's easy to make vertical the non-vertical inside walls, then it's no problem fitting stock cabinets etc. Besides, non-straight walls look better than slab-sided flat walls that look like any damn plastic RV out there, and who wants their bus conversion to look like an RV anyway?

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 04:01 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
every manufacturer of bus bodies have there own little challenges.
my first bus is a thomas but the walls didnt bother me to much?
i made templates out of cardboard for the boards intersecting the side walls and another for the intersection of the roof.
what drove me up the wall is the collins body bus floor i am working with now is corrugated tin and maybe 24-26 guage? not very thick.
like stated each one is going to have its own challenge.
but there is a way to work anything out.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new arrival, what to look for, where to buy