Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2022, 10:14 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: International
Chassis: FE300
Engine: MaxxForce DT
Talking I知 new here

Hello, I am new to this site and wanted to say hello! I just bought a 2009 International FE300 and am extremely sore from taking the seats out. haha! I知 mainly doing everything myself but with the help of my dad (when he can- he has a horrible back and up in age). I知 a middle school teacher in the virtual world! Thank goodness! So working from home is how I am finally able to get this bus life started. I live in Brenham, Texas. My first name often confuses people and it doesn稚 offend me but I値l save you from wondering- My name is Cody and I am female ❤️ I知 so happy to have found this site!!!

Cody

vegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 04:51 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Welcome! Thanks for introducing yourself and filling out your profile. If you have any questions it'll really help to give you actual relevant answers instead of vague generalities. Do you know what your plans are yet for your skoolie? Touring or vacationing, full time tiny living or off the grid survivalism? We'll love to follow your journey here and offer help and encouragement along the way.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 07:33 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: International
Chassis: FE300
Engine: MaxxForce DT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Welcome! Thanks for introducing yourself and filling out your profile. If you have any questions it'll really help to give you actual relevant answers instead of vague generalities. Do you know what your plans are yet for your skoolie? Touring or vacationing, full time tiny living or off the grid survivalism? We'll love to follow your journey here and offer help and encouragement along the way.
Thanks for the warm welcome! I have a vision in mind for the layout but I am trying to get the rest of the seats out and then I am planning on doing some measurements and see where everything would fit and then sketch out my design on paper.
I plan on traveling in about a year and want to be able to survive on and off the grid. I am trying to find the best inexpensive supplies for all of that today-inverter, solar panels, etc. I’ll take any advice you have.
I plan on posting pictures of my journey along the way. I will definitely have questions.

Thanks for saying hi!

Cody
vegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 09:03 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegabond View Post
I am trying to find the best inexpensive supplies for all of that today-inverter, solar panels, etc.
Hi Cody and welcome.

For solar panel value, it's hard to beat SanTan Solar's used commercial panels. They're very good quality, tested, come with a 1-year warranty, and priced really well. Their original warehouse is in Arizona and they have a newish location in Georgia now, too.

My most important advice, as you start this adventure, is to do as much as you can to make sure the drivetrain is sound before you start your conversion...and then drive the bus regularly. All too often, folks invest a bunch of time and money into a bus conversion without paying attention to the engine and transmission and other important bits. If there's an issue, it's best to identify and resolve it first. So, I encourage you to find a good mechanic or shop and have them give things a good health check. The conversion part is exciting, but make sure the foundation is sound first.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 10:38 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Welcome!

Having been a prior owner of the exact same model bus you have I would say build up a decent sized rainy day fund and have some sort of roadside assistance plan with towing. The MaxxforceDT engine that bus has is prone to turbo and emissions system repairs that can add up quickly and you don't want to be caught off guard.

Best of luck with your build, the folks on this site are amazingly helpful.
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 03:17 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ford E350
Engine: 6.0 power stroke Diesel Navistar EFI
Rated Cap: wife & 2 corgis
welcome cody, As Dbacks said its important to remember mechanical aspects during your conversion. i think i spent more time on preventative maintenance than i did on the interior conversion LOL i have RV roadside assistance but its hard to use when your broke down in the mountains with no cell phone reception LOL. my water pump went out the second time driving it so i figured i better take a good look and go through everything since it was a high mileage bus. i just got snow chains and can now travel mountains feeling pretty confident!
Enjoy your build i had fun with mine!