Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #1
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Idea For Resurrection (Sorta) Thoughts?

Hi all, I know it's a been a long time (and yes, my previous account was nuked due to gmail issues).

A lot has happened in my hiatus - I trained to get my Class A CDL and began driving tractor-trailers over-the-road in 2013. Lately, I have had thoughts of buying my own truck, but I'm not sure I want a full-on Class 8 road tractor.

There are a pair of International 3800-series buses available locally, my choice of the two for a reasonable price, and I am considering buying one to build into a multipurpose skoolie/LTL/RV transport rig.

What I know about them... They appear to be in good shape with T444E / automatics, air brakes, ten window rows (first one from front appears longer, I am guessing these are 65/66 passenger, which should be about 35-40 feet long. My understanding is the 7.3 IDI and the T444E are one and the same. Is there any way to know which automatic these have? I remember reading somewhere that the MT643 was only used behind Caterpillar engines, and if so, that would make this an AT545. Are they any good? If not, any alternative swaps?

I know a typical GVWR on these is between 25-30k, per my previous B700 having a rating of 24,100. I am curious whether the 10-12 foot frame section aft of the differental could support a fifth-wheel-type trailer, and if not, what effect shortening the frame in that area may or may not have on GVWR / axle weight distribution. Thanks in advance for any help!

CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:50 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird?
Chassis: 26ft Bluebird TC2000
Engine: Cumming 5.9 12v, AT545
I dont have all your answers, but a few bits of info:

The MT643 came behind many engines, not just Cat. I have one behind an International DT466 straight six (great combo other than no OD), and is far superior to the AT545 which lacks lockup. The MT643 is also rated for a GVWR of something like 80klbs.

While many people say the 7.3 and T444 are identical, I''ve read parts dont interchange. But they're really really similar.

I have a "full length" 36ft bus, and my GVWR is 32,050lbs.

I personally shy away from the V-8 buses, especially one with "light duty truck" ish type V-8s. A true Medium Duty Truck engine and transmission is much tougher, and often not more expensive to maintain. The DT466 only has 6 injectors to maintain for example ;)
dalez is offline   Reply With Quote