Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2017, 12:56 PM   #1

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Ford
ideas for insurance in South Dakota?

Hello everyone!
I just bought a short former city bus in Rapid City, South Dakota. As I am quickly learning is common, I'm having trouble getting insurance on it - I haven't even gotten it home yet because my AAA refused to tow it!
I tried National General, which seemed to be a possibility, but they won't insure unless the conversion includes a bathroom, which I don't want to do.
I will be using the bus for a week or so of travel between housesitting jobs, and I just don't want to worry about water and sewer and all those complications. I've traveled for a couple of weeks in my little car and I've always found bathrooms when I needed them!
So - anyone have any ideas about who I could get insurance with if I just set up living and sleeping quarters, without the bathroom and kitchen stuff? I do plan to have a refrigerator....
Thank you all!

jessiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:06 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Jessiek,

I live in Rapid City and have just started researching license and insurance for bus conversion in SD.

If you have not registered your bus yet check to see if the weight and capacity will allow to register it non commercial. Check links at the bottom of this page. SD Truckinfo - Home It may be easier to insure if you have noncommercial registration when approaching insurance company. If it must be registered commercial you will also need a CDL to legally drive it.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote