Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2018, 06:51 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Diesels make the most sense when pulling Loads.. Busses are heavy... esp when they are stock and loaded full of kids or adults with luggage.. diesel engines when cared for also go many more miles and hours than a gas engine.. trucks and busses spend a lot of time idling.. gas engines really dont like to idle... diesels dont mind as long as their cooling systems / thermostats keep them at constant temperature...

that said, **NEW** gas engines are catching up to diesels in terms of economy.. but nothing you will buy used has a newer gas engine..

I would consider an early 2000's GMC / chevy van cutaway short bus (front looks like a van, rear looks like a school bus) with a gas motor.. the 5.7 and 6.0 Vortec gas motors were good ones..
-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:58 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT466E
See, what y'all are saying makes sense to me. So then how can you explain a comment like this (from someone on a different site)? This is the hard part, when you're trying to learn but hear so much contradictory statements.

"I have never seen a ford diesel be reliable,( some have ok luck if you read the web but i haven't seen one) the old ones like that 7.3 can be very hard to start if its below 50 deg, they need two good batters to start if its in good shape, i know one guy who had hell with his starting when cold, at least 5 mechanics tried to fix it, he spent $10,000 on a rebuild and it still wouldn't start when cold out, one i saw had to be jumped when cold but would start.

The new ones i have seen are in the shop at least once a year while under warranty, usually for at least a week, one friend his turbo intercooler plugs closed once a year and needs a new one, plus other problems, he said he will never have another diesel ford.

google '7.3 powerstroke problems' ".

Is he just witnessing flukes? Or does he have some weird grudge against diesels?
homebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:55 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebus View Post
See, what y'all are saying makes sense to me. So then how can you explain a comment like this (from someone on a different site)? This is the hard part, when you're trying to learn but hear so much contradictory statements.

"I have never seen a ford diesel be reliable,( some have ok luck if you read the web but i haven't seen one) the old ones like that 7.3 can be very hard to start if its below 50 deg, they need two good batters to start if its in good shape, i know one guy who had hell with his starting when cold, at least 5 mechanics tried to fix it, he spent $10,000 on a rebuild and it still wouldn't start when cold out, one i saw had to be jumped when cold but would start.

The new ones i have seen are in the shop at least once a year while under warranty, usually for at least a week, one friend his turbo intercooler plugs closed once a year and needs a new one, plus other problems, he said he will never have another diesel ford.

Is he just witnessing flukes? Or does he have some weird grudge against diesels?
Some of these are a case of "not knowing the beast". The 7.3 engine (and it's IH brother, the T444) have good reputations. The 2 common reasons it won't start in cool/cold weather is either the glow plugs not heating up (2 fairly common and easily fixed reasons for that), or the injectors are approaching replacement time (typically around the 200K mile mark). Worn injectors will be accompanied by poor fuel economy, smoke, and poor performance. Newer versions are known to have camshaft position sensor failures (but this also causes warm weather no-start and shut off if running).

The Ford 6.0 had a reputation for headaches and problems which could result in catastrophic engine failure, but fixes have been made and if done before the engine fails, they are known to be reliable runners after upgrade. The fixes aren't cheap as it isn't far from being a rebuild and it is for this reason they are often avoided.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:16 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

Working on diesels in VAN chassis may make you have a grudge against diesels.
THe 7.3 is alright, its the 6.0 that's a nightmare unless you're a tech guru like Chris.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:55 AM   #25

Year: 1983
Chassis: International
Engine: DT-466
Quote:

Everyone has their opinion, and a lot of times opinions aren't based on facts. The 7.3 Is a very reliable low maintenance engine. Do an ebay search or look on ford forums. People pay an arm and an leg for a low mileage f250, f350, or van with the 7.3 due to its reliability. I have personally owned a 97 f350 with the 7.3 for a while now and do all my own work on it. Maintain clean coolant, regular oil changes, and clean fuel filters and it will treat you well. I live in virginia and it's been a cold winter. The truck has never failed to start. In my opinion it's a great engine, and if needed it's easy to work on.

- Pat

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Mustng78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:15 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
just to give you an idea..

this is My 7.3 (T-444E) being started near zero in late 2016..

and a year Later. near 0f.. same bus. about 17,000 more miles on it..

https://www.facebook.com/christopher...104674/?type=3

everyone has an opinion.. as others have mentioned, we have no idea the health of the engines thayt the guys on forums for facebook groups post about.. but I will say that most people domnt post ever ysingle day that 'my bus started'.. those vids of mine are something I do once a year or so.. but the bus has started and been driven all over the place mamny other times.. most people post when something breaks.. and ANY vehicle old, new, gas, or diesel. can and will break at some point.. facts of life..

I like my 2 diesel busses.. only reason id buy a gasser in a full size bus is for nostalgia since thats what I rode 90% of my school years in.. in a van cutaway i might buy the later (00+) 5.7 or 6.0 Chevy gassers.. the 6.0 DIESEL made by ford are the ones many say stay away from.. they had issues unless you know how to upgrade them..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:53 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
I tend not to trust the opinions of those who use the non-word "batter", when it's really not difficult to use "battery" or "batteries" instead.

You make pancakes from batter. You start buses with batteries.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:41 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

THANK YOU EVERYONE WHERE DID YALL COME FROM YOU GODSENDS. You've just reaffirmed everything I've read about 7.3's. I took dudes advice and extensively read about reviews of them for an hour and a half last night...pretty big consesus from the Land of Internet that these things are tanks.

I am getting a really good feeling about this 1990 Im lookin at. Young kid bought it from a couple who used it barely for camping, and THEY bought it from a boy and girls club who purchased it brand new. The kid said when he got it engine was runnin a lil flukey, so he put a new alternator, batteries, belts and regular fluids chages and its running great, but in the meantime him and hos bus realized its just too big for what they need it for. Im trying to look at it today

And Twigg you are cracking me up. You sound exactly like a real good friend of mine
Old 01-31-2018, 08:56 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I have a friend with the 7.3 IDI and he has issues starting in the cold. Of course he keeps putting in no name brand glow plugs that burn out right away, and only does the six he can easily reach, so a few days later they are all burned out. Use name brand plugs and you won't have his problem.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2018, 11:02 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:

And Twigg you are cracking me up. You sound exactly like a real good friend of mine
Sometimes I wonder if it's just a culture thing.

I'm English, and while I love my life here in the US, occasionally things just grate ... Also, if you are talking about a motorcycle, please try to avoid calling it a "scoot"

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:09 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
In Australia they call motorcycle riders Bikies.

Pretty sure they did that on purpose to make it sound stupid.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:05 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I'd rather have a jet pack. Not the jet ski thing.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:35 PM   #33
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Working on diesels in VAN chassis may make you have a grudge against diesels.
THe 7.3 is alright, its the 6.0 that's a nightmare unless you're a tech guru like Chris.
Can say from first hand experience the diesel in a van is a PITA. Just under the hood/engine cover, everything else is the same.

I’d still take the lack of space under the hood over a gas motor any day.
RRRVBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:27 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Okay okay, not to derail but I have some friends from New Zealand (which is called The Realm of New Zealand on their passports by the way, how much more LOTR can you get I love it) and they call coolers "chilly bins" and thumb wars "peanknuckle wars". Everything is just too damn cute sounding it kills me.

Anyway, the kid with the '90 Ford Econoline 7.3 says he can't go any lower than $2,880. I'm terrified cause that's most of my savings, but it seems like a good deal for a diesel with 89,000 that I wont find again. I'd love to not go over $2k but I don't wanna miss this opportunity...
Old 02-01-2018, 12:54 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I'm not familiar with the condition of the bus you're specifically talking about, but generally speaking the short cutaway buses often sell for more than the asking price you're stalling on. Condition is key. Have you driven it yet?
Old 02-01-2018, 11:41 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I'm not familiar with the condition of the bus you're specifically talking about, but generally speaking the short cutaway buses often sell for more than the asking price you're stalling on. Condition is key. Have you driven it yet?
Have not driven it yet. He's free this weekend
Old 02-06-2018, 08:29 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

It's been a minute, and plans have changed. I recently went to this incredible free clinic that sets up once a year in town. Planned on having them pull one tooth that was giving me hell, and fill in another two. Turns out all three were too far gone and they wanted to pull all of them. I'm, 28, and too young to lose that many teeth (already lost one 5 years ago). Looks like now Im trying to get two root canals/caps, and without insurance that'll cost me at least $1,500 if Im lucky, twice that if Im not.

...the thing is I can't stop thinking about a bus. Y'all weren't kidding when you said it was an addiction. I've still been searching in hopes of finding something cheap enough where I can buy it AND get my teeth fixed, and laugh by myself at how broke I am in my new bus. I been POURING over posts in this forum, and so many of yalls name are becomming more and more familiar to me.

So this is where I am now: I had to ditch the last bus I was lookin at cause of my new budget plan. I JUST found a 1995 International 7.6L DT466 with an allison transmission that's been used as a gig bus for a gospel band, then a daycare, and now a church again. It's got 168k miles on it, new steer tires and a few other new things I cant remember right now. There IS a problem with the ignition, said thats why the daycare people got rid of it. He said he quick-fixed it with a wire and the church has been using it fine, but they were led to move their church to another location and dont have as many followers so they dont need the bus. So it sounds like I gotta hotwire it (he did assured me he had the title haha), or spend 60 for some part, and it also needs new batteries. He's asking $2,345 but said they don't care about the money they just want it out the driveway.

Im determined to make this work. Im waiting on a call to see if he's available this thursday to test drive (the idea of driving something 26ft terrifies me, but I know Id get the hang quick) and maybe I will finally be bringing home my first bus.

Wish me luck, you all have been great so far.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:38 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Oh also! It's a flatnose
Old 02-06-2018, 08:55 PM   #39
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Go on this web site and get a dental savings plan. Ask which one your dentist accepts and if they don't just call around town and find one that does. Most dentists' offices take these and basically it's an agreed on price for the cost of each different thing they offer. Usually the Carrington 500 plan saves the most. Any of the plans cost between $100 - $150 for a full year. Don't ever just pay full price

https://www.dentalplans.com/
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:58 PM   #40
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
From what I remember, ignition switches are a fairly common replacement item. Sounds like a deal. Go check it out. The DT466 engines have a great reputation.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, excited, minibus, minimalist, newbie