Old 05-07-2020, 09:48 PM   #1

In the planning stage

Hi everyone! I'm Alita My boyfriend and I are in the planning/saving stage. We know this is what we want to do, we are looking to get a vehicle to tow first and then save for our new home (aka our skoolie). I have a lot of questions so I hope you guys can help!

Current questions:

What is a good vehicle to tow behind your skoolie? We want something that won't suck gas but also that we won't get stuck in the woods with. It also needs to be something the skoolie will be capable of towing.

I've seen prices all over the place. From $1800-$22000. We're looking for something in the 35-40' range. How much should we really save before we start looking for the bus we're going to buy?

Living in Vegas, we've been told it can be hard to find places that will take a skoolie and if you do, it's quite a distance from town. Anyone know of a decent place we could park our skoolie to live in/work on?
Alita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:01 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I'll leave the tow vehicle question for others to answer.

To figure how much to save, you have to figure what you want to do with it as far as the buildout goes. Let's say your bus costs $3000.00 (not saying you will find one for that). If all you do is tear out the seats and use it as a metal tent, then save up about $4,500.00 so you can have the vehicle inspected and serviced before you start relying on it. Of course, it will be way hot in the summer and way cold in the winter. If it needs tires, add another $2,000.00 to $3,000.00. It starts to add up quickly. I'd say STARTING with $15,000.00 might get a fair buildout if you are careful.

There is a place about 45 minutes south of Tucson, AZ called Caballo Loco Ranch where one can live during buildout and beyond.

There is another similar near Graham, TX just north of Possum Kingdom Lake. It is called Awesome Possum. This is a video about it.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:37 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I did a rough itemization of some of the expenses I've incurred on my bus: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/s...tml#post380677. Already at 13 grand and I'm not even at the stage of building the interior yet. My bus is badly rusted but that's mainly meant additional time and effort rather than money - less than 2 grand of my total went to repairing the floor around my wheel wells.

None of that counts tool costs and stuff like welding wire, welding gas, ospho, paint, etc. etc. My welding machine and bottle cost about $500 and I dropped another $500 on a community college welding class. I'm sure my real total expenses so far are closer to 20 grand.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:55 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Best vehicle to tow behind your skoolie? A nice motorcycle. I got lucky and paid $2500 for my 40ft with storage bays DT466/MT643 it was a retired activity bus.

A nice 40ft rear engine 8.3/DT466 with bays these days I think you should be able to get for around 5-7K and have a good deal.

I would not focus on saving as much as having a steady income during the build. The pace you get work done and have time for will out pace your pay cycles assume you are twice a month. Saying that I have about 13K into mine, I would say 15K is a good number to focus on, for a simple nicely done build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita View Post
Hi everyone! I'm Alita My boyfriend and I are in the planning/saving stage. We know this is what we want to do, we are looking to get a vehicle to tow first and then save for our new home (aka our skoolie). I have a lot of questions so I hope you guys can help!

Current questions:

What is a good vehicle to tow behind your skoolie? We want something that won't suck gas but also that we won't get stuck in the woods with. It also needs to be something the skoolie will be capable of towing.

I've seen prices all over the place. From $1800-$22000. We're looking for something in the 35-40' range. How much should we really save before we start looking for the bus we're going to buy?

Living in Vegas, we've been told it can be hard to find places that will take a skoolie and if you do, it's quite a distance from town. Anyone know of a decent place we could park our skoolie to live in/work on?

Tags
need advice, newbie, vegas