Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2020, 07:11 AM   #1

Insurance

So I just purchased a bus from Georgia I live in Michigan and I’m not sure what to do about insurance I’ve been calling but everyone I call doesn’t cover buses please help I have to pick the bus up next Tuesday

LewieDidIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:33 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
First off, welcome to the site. What insurance do you have now for your vehicles? I know that State Farm automatically covers newly purchased vehicles for 20 or 30 days. Not sure if other companies do the same thing. It would be worth a call to your agent to see.

BTW, what are you buying? Year, make, size, engine, tranny, etc....
Old 05-19-2020, 08:00 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermracing View Post
First off, welcome to the site. What insurance do you have now for your vehicles? I know that State Farm automatically covers newly purchased vehicles for 20 or 30 days. Not sure if other companies do the same thing. It would be worth a call to your agent to see.

I made that mistake but with USAA. Get it in writing if you're going to try and use your current coverage.
I was told over the phone by USAA that I'd be covered. I wasn't. My first bus in 2002... I got into a fender bender in rush hour in down town Orlando on a Friday. That toyota fender cost me $5000+. I was sued and paid it myself. Between student loads and that lawsuit I didn't have a penny for a few years.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:09 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
You don't tell them its a bus. I got my title changed to MH (motorhome) then told insurance company I want to insure my RV. Cheap and easy. Oh course this was in Ohio.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
You don't tell them its a bus. I got my title changed to MH (motorhome) then told insurance company I want to insure my RV. Cheap and easy. Oh course this was in Ohio.
I think the issue is when you driving it home for the first time. it's not a converted title yet and it still has all the seats so it's technically a commercial bus.

When I bought my bus I bought a commercial insurance policy. It was outrageously expensive and I had to put $300 down.

I got the bus home two days later and cancelled the insurance and paid about 20 bucks total. Took a week to get my money back from the deposit.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:42 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
I suspect that would only work with a cut-away-van like yours -- the vin says Van or truck chassis.

For full size buses the vin will show as 'bus' even after you change the title to RV or MH...

Maybe this varies by state as well...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermracing View Post

Thank you for the information and the warm welcome .... it is a 2002 blue bird flat none front engine TC2000 5.9L Diesel, AT545 Allison trans 72 passenger
Old 05-20-2020, 10:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I made that mistake but with USAA. Get it in writing if you're going to try and use your current coverage.
I was told over the phone by USAA that I'd be covered. I wasn't. My first bus in 2002... I got into a fender bender in rush hour in down town Orlando on a Friday. That toyota fender cost me $5000+. I was sued and paid it myself. Between student loads and that lawsuit I didn't have a penny for a few years.
Thanks for the information
Old 05-20-2020, 10:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSquared View Post
I think the issue is when you driving it home for the first time. it's not a converted title yet and it still has all the seats so it's technically a commercial bus.

When I bought my bus I bought a commercial insurance policy. It was outrageously expensive and I had to put $300 down.

I got the bus home two days later and cancelled the insurance and paid about 20 bucks total. Took a week to get my money back from the deposit.
Thanks for the information would you happen to remember the name of the company that you used

Tags
insurance coverage