Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2021, 10:57 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Intro

Howdy all, new to the forum here. Never really considered converting a retired school bus into something like an RV, but I do have a fascination with commercial vehicles in general, and it just so happens that school bus's seem to be somewhat available and ready to acquire.

Having said that, I am looking at an 01 Thomas MVP with a 3126 Cat, and it has already been stripped inside. So, I may just yet end up converting it after all. It presently is not turning over with the key. Nothing happens at all. I've had a friend help with some research and he indicated it could be the Vandilock system and that I should attempt to start it from the rear. This is apparently a fairly new problem, as it was working fine before the interior was gutted.

On another note, I did find some interesting information out regarding insurance today that I will be sharing with the community. Nice to be here, and look forward to assisting you all in anyway I can, as well as learning a thing or two!

colbypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:38 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Welcome!

It sounds like a nice bus. You could very well be looking at a classic case of "I cut some wires and now my bus wont start."

It also wouldn't hurt to check any emergency windows, doors roof, hatches ect to see if they are open or have wires dangling.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:22 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Wow!! 2001 Thomas pushers are getting popular around here!

I have answered this question several times this month and twice tonight.

And I am happy to do so.

Yes, like me, someone ran thru the bus like a raging bull with crowbar and wire clippers and said “Hell Yeah, All Cleaned Out”!

Here is all you have to do.

Turn dash key switch to ignition.

Open the engine compartment.

Find the engine compartment button.
Top right hand corner of the hatch.

Hold engine hatch button and press the start button at the same time.

It starts bc the rear button is down stream from the interlock BS.

Okay, so that’s also how you bypass the Interlock longterm. Run a wire from the “ST” terminal on your dash key switch to the button in the back and “ BAM” you’ve bypassed all those window and door buttons and switches.

Good luck!

[emoji3522]
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:13 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks. It appears it may be more than an interlock problem. Owner advised bus was started, sitting for 10 minutes to warm up (its cold in Maine), and moved it. When it was being moved, it lost power, dash lights started fading and engine died. Come to find out, serpentine belt snapped. So it either took something out, or the belt was chewed up before hand and the batteries died or some other weird electrical issue.

I'm going to check it out anyways, see what I can discern. Thanks for the rear start procedure!
colbypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:27 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
10 minutes is nothing. It was cold here last month (45 *) and my bus took 30 mins at high idle and several miles at 35mph to get up to operating temp.

I can’t imagine that 10 mins did anything but, being from the Deep South, I really wouldn’t know about such things[emoji52].

Good luck. That could be a good bus. I love mine.
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote