Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2017, 04:01 PM   #1

Smile Intro/ Where to Buy?!

Good afternoon fellow nomads and bus enthusiasts,

I've been taking about getting a bus since I was in high school! Now I am a recent college graduate and working in my field as a Cinematographer. I plan on traveling across America to various "film" cities and freelancing while I'm there. About a month ago, a few friends offered to go 4 ways on a small apartment in NYC. This is when it really hit me. We would each be spending over $1,500 a month for only one room to call our own. I simply couldn't see myself throwing that much money down the drain each month to live like a sardine.

As of right now I am looking for flat nose, diesel engine, full size, air brake bus to buy. Where does everyone buy their buses from? Are there any government auctions or state auctions that people use? Does anyone know someone who is selling something similar to what I am describing?

I'm also going to be creating a YouTube channel for my bus project when I finally pull the trigger on one. I'll have another post about that once the channel is live.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post! I can't wait to make this dream a reality!

HonJazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:08 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome.
Keep an eye on the auctions. I've gotten a few good deals on Public Surplus and GovDeals.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:14 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply! I'll be keeping my eyes peeled.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:45 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonJazzz View Post

I've been taking about getting a bus since I was in high school! Now I am a recent college graduate and working in my field as a Cinematographer. I plan on traveling across America to various "film" cities and freelancing while I'm there. About a month ago, a few friends offered to go 4 ways on a small apartment in NYC. This is when it really hit me. We would each be spending over $1,500 a month for only one room to call our own. I simply couldn't see myself throwing that much money down the drain each month to live like a sardine.

As of right now I am looking for flat nose, diesel engine, full size, air brake bus to buy. Where does everyone buy their buses from? Are there any government auctions or state auctions that people use? Does anyone know someone who is selling something similar to what I am describing?

I'm also going to be creating a YouTube channel for my bus project when I finally pull the trigger on one. I'll have another post about that once the channel is live.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post! I can't wait to make this dream a reality!
As mentioned, those 2 sites are good. There are also dealers, school districts, and Craig's list. I am researching a bus now and have a similar idea. As suggested by several members here "don't just buy the first one, make sure it's the right one."
We are closing in on spring, when lots of busses will be retired... So keep your eyes open.
Read the threads here, lots of opinions on lots of stuff... Lots of different opinions too lol. In the end it will be your bus, your way.
Welcome fellow noob and good luck.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:15 PM   #5
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Creative...

Quote:
, a few friends offered to go 4 ways on a small apartment in NYC. This is when it really hit me. We would each be spending over $1,500 a month for only one room to call our own.
$6 grand/month or $72K/yr for 4-bedroom apartment? Ouch.

Buy a big boat instead, live in it and rent out surplus space.

DOCKAGE RATES AT LIBERTY HARBOR MARINA
YEAR ROUND: (04/15/16 - 04/14/17)

Plan A: $210.00 per ft.
Summer Wet/Winter Dry
Includes: Haul, Power Wash, Blocking, Storage and Spring Launch

Plan B: $195.00 per ft.
Summer & Winter Wet

Found the perfect boat.
Das Boot

426 feet long x 80 ft wide = $ 82K/year, but is football field and a third. Free indoor parking.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:59 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:

Public Surplus and Gov Deals are generally pretty good. The best deals on there are in late spring/early summer when they're flooded with newly-retired buses. There's also some smaller state-specific auction sites that sometimes sell buses right from the school districts. Right now it's the middle of winter so lots of people are bidding on a small pool of mediocre buses.

Craigslist can be a crap shoot, tons of overpriced junk ($10,000 for a mid 1980s Chevy gasser, lol) but it can have some stuff worth your while if you look close enough. I personally have seen very few buses worth looking at on my local CL.

Dealers can vary. Bluebird only has one dealer franchise allocated per state. Some places like Macallister in Indianapolis unload hundreds of trade-ins every year and you get lots of stuff to choose from. They're also willing to negotiate quite a bit depending on what you're interested in.

Not sure what Thomas or IC does for their dealer networks but I imagine they have a similiar business model.

Have you decided if you want front engine or rear engine? You'll pay more for an RE but it'll be quieter going down the road and the engine can be easier to work on.

FE is usually cheaper but it won't be as nice to drive with the engine right next to the driver's seat.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:42 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
We have several IC dealers in FL.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:00 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
We have several IC dealers in FL.
I think IC sells their buses at International truck dealers, most states have at least a few.

I'm pretty sure we only have one Thomas dealer in Wisconsin, might be that they have a dealer franchise policy similiar to Bluebirds'
Old 02-01-2017, 07:13 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
I think IC sells their buses at International truck dealers, most states have at least a few.

I'm pretty sure we only have one Thomas dealer in Wisconsin, might be that they have a dealer franchise policy similiar to Bluebirds'
IC also sells their buses here in NJ at actual bus dealers, like Wolfington; whose helpful service department has no problem talking to Skoolies like us for pulling up the build sheets on our buses.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:49 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
$6 grand/month or $72K/yr for 4-bedroom apartment? Ouch.

Buy a big boat instead, live in it and rent out surplus space.

DOCKAGE RATES AT LIBERTY HARBOR MARINA
YEAR ROUND: (04/15/16 - 04/14/17)

Plan A: $210.00 per ft.
Summer Wet/Winter Dry
Includes: Haul, Power Wash, Blocking, Storage and Spring Launch

Plan B: $195.00 per ft.
Summer & Winter Wet

Found the perfect boat.
Das Boot

426 feet long x 80 ft wide = $ 82K/year, but is football field and a third. Free indoor parking.
I love that boat!!! If only I had a half million laying around!
Sandi
www.thismidwifetravels.com
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:51 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Welcome!

This is my bus. I got it through Public Surplus: Public Surplus: Auction #1682539

I was able to speak to the seller and get the intel on the bus. Drove it >1000 miles home with no problems

Sandi
www.thismidwifetravels.com
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:51 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Check out publicsurplus.com (motor pool... school bus). There are a couple of buses in Chesapeake VA for way cheap right now (Sat 2/4/17, around $225, with an auction end time of noon Monday. They're 5.9 Cummins and an AT545 transmission, so they'll be underpowered and poor for mountain use. But they might meet your need. Full length rear engine diesels.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:08 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
Check out publicsurplus.com (motor pool... school bus). There are a couple of buses in Chesapeake VA for way cheap right now (Sat 2/4/17, around $225, with an auction end time of noon Monday. They're 5.9 Cummins and an AT545 transmission, so they'll be underpowered and poor for mountain use. But they might meet your need. Full length rear engine diesels.
Don't waste your time on those buses. They're slow and underpowered. The 5.9 ISB + AT545 means it's not gonna handle lots of weight.

Wait a few more months, you'll be able to get a much nicer RE bus for around $2K - $4K when the spring rush begins.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:13 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
Don't waste your time on those buses...
Thanks for your clear sight on these!
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:57 PM   #15

Thank you to everyone who has shared their insight and experience on this thread! I think one of the best parts of living in/ converting a bus, is the skoolie community that comes along with it. I think waiting for spring/ early summer is great advice!

Thanks again, I can't wait!
Old 02-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: 12 valve 8.3L Cummins
When will this spring season begin? I'm ok waiting until April but not too much longer. Can anyone comment on when they've noticed an uptick on these auction sites?
brightond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:55 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightond View Post
When will this spring season begin? I'm ok waiting until April but not too much longer. Can anyone comment on when they've noticed an uptick on these auction sites?
I have noticed a few big lots of busses in the last week on govdeals and public surplus. I spoke to a bluebird dealer and he said that school bids were due by the begining of this month, and delivery was toward the end of next month. If that helps. (He was here in Massachusetts)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: 12 valve 8.3L Cummins
Awesome. Great info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brightond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, auction, buy, nomad, sell