Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2019, 04:17 PM   #61
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
I lost track of this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Ha! For that minute you got to experience what every somewhat attractive female deals with where ever she goes from puberty to menopause. At least they were just horny, not scary.
Every time an under-aged teenage high-school girl gets out of a car at a public park to enjoy the park, a swarm of 30-40 year old guys who have been waiting there for hours in their cars for someone like her (not simply there to enjoy the park) take notice, and one exit's their car to hit on her? never saw that before. never heard of any "strait" guy who would do that. even at the bars I used to go to, it was not even remotely like that.

Furthermore, after that incident, I got a job at a restaurant that was (I found out after being hired) owned and managed by two gay guys. They became friends of mine. I got to see "behind the scenes" of gay life and how gay men talk and think. Believe me, "they" (at least the ones I knew) are far worse than most any "strait" guy I have ever talked to, even the "strait dogs" who just want to "sexually conquer" every woman they can.

There is little comparison in my mind and my experience.

Quote:
My dog and I hiked those trails for almost 15 years. She was a 75lb black dog who was fiercely protective of me, I never had a problem with anyone. Once she died men would stop me on the trail to talk, or I'd notice one behind me keeping pace. It really took the joy out of my love of nature. Being seen as prey gets old fast.
Kristen
Men, out in nature looking for someone to connect with, who does what they like to do, want to talk to you? NO! How sick is that! Predators! They must be more than horny!

I walk a bit fast. I "catch up" with people. Sometimes a woman will go out of her way to stop to let me pass. I just wish she could be a person instead of a "snob" (in my mind) who won't even look at me, or say "hi" as I pass and say "hello" to her without stopping. I look at it like "wow, dodged another bullet there. Don't want a girl like her in my life anyway!"

That's why I loved Hawai'i so much. When you walked down the street. people (locals) looked you in the eye and said hello. Girls from 10 to 100 will smile at you as you pass by. And guess what? No one harasses them! (well, almost no one...mainlanders do show up)

In Oregon, woman seem "in-between." Much friendlier that the east, at least.

East of the Mississippi, my guess is that the "puritan ethic" is so detrimental to society, that woman subconsciously or consciously believe that smiling is flirting, and that is a no-no! Back in the day, a guy was socially forbidden from talking to another man's wife outside of business, and that attitude has lingered into today. If a woman smiles at a guy, she must want unlawful carnal knowledge!
Y'all create your own "predator men society" by being so cold, in my view. Men are forced to "interrupt" your walk through nature, by convention. A woman should never be forward with a guy (or she is a slut!) and therefore should not even look at them! So guys are forced to make the first move, which is more like blindly throwing a fishing line with an unbaited hook in a lake over and over, hoping to catch a fish. The guy on the trail is at least not blindly casting his line.

Of course it depends "how" he stops you...

I have looked for over 30 years for a woman to walk trails with; to enjoy nature with. Still I'm single. They seemed to have skipped my generation. Seen plenty all my life who are 15+ years older. Now some that are 15 years younger.

One thing I have noticed, though. The younger generations' women are far more friendly than my generation's. Some of them now-a-days do smile and say hello as I walk (I walk about 3.5 miles through the Park every day). And there are far more women in the younger generations that get out into nature than I've seen ever before. I even see them hiking alone or in pairs deep in the woods up in the mountains. Too young for my taste (other than a sexual tidbit, but I want more than just sex, or I would have found a partner by now!)

AS for me, I'm too shy, too goofy, and too poor of an initial conversationalist to stop a chick in the woods and flirt, hoping for an "encounter" or better yet, a lifetime....so I continue to walk alone, hoping I might randomly find one at the park going my way at the same time who would actually like a guy to walk and talk with...and then maybe more...

But I ain't holdin' my breath East of the Mississippi.

Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:01 PM   #62
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
I lost track of this thread...

Every time an under-aged teenage high-school girl gets out of a car at a public park to enjoy the park, a swarm of 30-40 year old guys who have been waiting there for hours in their cars for someone like her (not simply there to enjoy the park) take notice, and one exit's their car to hit on her? never saw that before. never heard of any "strait" guy who would do that. even at the bars I used to go to, it was not even remotely like that.

Furthermore, after that incident, I got a job at a restaurant that was (I found out after being hired) owned and managed by two gay guys. They became friends of mine. I got to see "behind the scenes" of gay life and how gay men talk and think. Believe me, "they" (at least the ones I knew) are far worse than most any "strait" guy I have ever talked to, even the "strait dogs" who just want to "sexually conquer" every woman they can.

There is little comparison in my mind and my experience.

Men, out in nature looking for someone to connect with, who does what they like to do, want to talk to you? NO! How sick is that! Predators! They must be more than horny!

I walk a bit fast. I "catch up" with people. Sometimes a woman will go out of her way to stop to let me pass. I just wish she could be a person instead of a "snob" (in my mind) who won't even look at me, or say "hi" as I pass and say "hello" to her without stopping. I look at it like "wow, dodged another bullet there. Don't want a girl like her in my life anyway!"

That's why I loved Hawai'i so much. When you walked down the street. people (locals) looked you in the eye and said hello. Girls from 10 to 100 will smile at you as you pass by. And guess what? No one harasses them! (well, almost no one...mainlanders do show up)

In Oregon, woman seem "in-between." Much friendlier that the east, at least.

East of the Mississippi, my guess is that the "puritan ethic" is so detrimental to society, that woman subconsciously or consciously believe that smiling is flirting, and that is a no-no! Back in the day, a guy was socially forbidden from talking to another man's wife outside of business, and that attitude has lingered into today. If a woman smiles at a guy, she must want unlawful carnal knowledge!
Y'all create your own "predator men society" by being so cold, in my view. Men are forced to "interrupt" your walk through nature, by convention. A woman should never be forward with a guy (or she is a slut!) and therefore should not even look at them! So guys are forced to make the first move, which is more like blindly throwing a fishing line with an unbaited hook in a lake over and over, hoping to catch a fish. The guy on the trail is at least not blindly casting his line.

Of course it depends "how" he stops you...

I have looked for over 30 years for a woman to walk trails with; to enjoy nature with. Still I'm single. They seemed to have skipped my generation. Seen plenty all my life who are 15+ years older. Now some that are 15 years younger.

One thing I have noticed, though. The younger generations' women are far more friendly than my generation's. Some of them now-a-days do smile and say hello as I walk (I walk about 3.5 miles through the Park every day). And there are far more women in the younger generations that get out into nature than I've seen ever before. I even see them hiking alone or in pairs deep in the woods up in the mountains. Too young for my taste (other than a sexual tidbit, but I want more than just sex, or I would have found a partner by now!)

AS for me, I'm too shy, too goofy, and too poor of an initial conversationalist to stop a chick in the woods and flirt, hoping for an "encounter" or better yet, a lifetime....so I continue to walk alone, hoping I might randomly find one at the park going my way at the same time who would actually like a guy to walk and talk with...and then maybe more...

But I ain't holdin' my breath East of the Mississippi.

im sorry but I ****REALLY**** take offense to this post...

as a 50 year old Gay man I can say with fact that the vast majority of the gay community is not a bunch of perverted child molestors you make us out to be.. I live the gay life.. every day... I have been a club DJ off and on since 1990.. in both the Gay and the straight world... ive seen the good and bad of bopth straight and gay communities and I can say with fact they are pretty much identical... there are both gay and straight pervs who prey on innocent victims... unfortunately I was victim to 2 family members who did such with me when I was young...

we go to work, we build stuff with tools, we have friends, relationships, trials, tribulations, bounds, and falls just like anyone else.. nothing special here...

we licve in downtowns...we live in suburbs... in the country... in busses, apartments, houses ,etc.. like anyone else... we go to work... as doctors, lawyers, diesel mechanics, accountants, designers, plumbers, pilots, baristas, and on and on...

are there Perverted child molesting gay men? damn sure there are..
are there Perverted child molesting straight men? damn sure there are..

and there are a whole damn bunch of the rest of us who are NOT!,,...

I have half a notion to just not come back to this board again if thats the way people think...

Over and out.. - I got meaningful stuff to do.. like finish up the python script that syncs my HVAC sensors.. then compile the next build of my software release for work..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:09 PM   #63
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

as a 50 year old Gay man I can say with fact that the vast majority of the gay community is not a bunch of perverted child molestors you make us out to be.. I live the gay life.. every day... I have been a club DJ off and on since 1990.. in both the Gay and the straight world... ive seen the good and bad of bopth straight and gay communities and I can say with fact they are pretty much identical... there are both gay and straight pervs who prey on innocent victims... unfortunately I was victim to 2 family members who did such with me when I was young...

we go to work, we build stuff with tools, we have friends, relationships, trials, tribulations, bounds, and falls just like anyone else.. nothing special here...

we licve in downtowns...we live in suburbs... in the country... in busses, apartments, houses ,etc.. like anyone else... we go to work... as doctors, lawyers, diesel mechanics, accountants, designers, plumbers, pilots, baristas, and on and on...

I have half a notion to just not come back to this board again if thats the way people think...

Over and out.. - I got meaningful stuff to do.. like finish up the python script that syncs my HVAC sensors.. then compile the next build of my software release for work..
l hear ya -
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:07 PM   #64
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:

That is NOT how people think! Please do not let one bitter, hateful post put you off of a community that truly enjoys who you are and what you have to share!

I hope you do not think my post was in any way supporting the bigotry that he was spouting. I was only comparing the feeling of being preyed upon, not commiserating with his prejudice rant.

Kristen
Old 05-31-2019, 07:23 PM   #65
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Leave us hope that the notion's other half is in ascendance.
Some people do think that way, but to paraphrase you; there's a whole damn bunch of the rest of us who DON'T...

Quote:

Yanno, I only met you briefly when transiting to Texas, and I had no inkling that you are Gay.
Even if I had, it's a non-issue and completely immaterial to me. A person's sexual preferences and predilections isn't any more of my casual business than what sort of vanilla or kinky sexual behaviors friends engage in amongst themselves.
I have friends who are Straight. Gay. Bisexual. Pansexual. Asexual. (I draw the line on Metrosexual, tho...) Doesn't mean I love 'em any less just because I don't ride their swing...
So long as all parties involved are comfortable and cool, who cares if the tingly bits involved are AC, DC, or run thru an inverter?!
Live and let live.
Wouldn't this be a wonderful world if those were more than mere words to most folx..?
If I might counsel: Double-down on a double-espresso, and continue to be the incalculably helpful and knowledgeable person who has invested so much time and effort in assisting countless folx with their various bus problems, for so many years. Please.
Matteo~
Old 05-31-2019, 07:47 PM   #66
Bus Crazy

Quote:

My apologies if my statement was taken as an offense to gay men, or people in general. The gay folks I met at work were NOT all child molesting perverts. They were some of the nicest people I ever knew and were some of the best friends I ever had! No joke! They were my family, as far as I was concerned! Gay men and Lesbian women. I got the "inside the back door" (pun intended) look into the social lifestyle of part of the gay community in Atlanta, going to gay bars with them, strip clubs with naked men dancing, etc. I have no problem with gay folks. When I learned my manager was a true pedophile (years after I left), I no longer talked to him, but I didn't give up on gay men in general.

But they (the folks that I personally met) can be, in my experience, very "insistive" that I "play" with them. I explain I am strait, but they still keep on flirtin' and hittin' on me, simply because now I am in their world, and it went on for years....
Now how about a woman who tells a guy she meets she has a husband? Is he gonna keep hittin' on her. Some, ya. But, in my experience, with the people I met (a lot of em in that circle), the gay men are always very very very very forward. I even had a guy behind me in line at the grocery store last week watching me (my long braided hair maybe confused him), jingling coins in his pocket, then when I make eye contact to see who's watching me over my shoulder, he asks if I want to put my groceries in his cart instead of holding them. Opening up to hit on me. Is he a pervert? NO.
But do I do that to women? NO. Do I know any strait guys who would do that? No.

I took offense at a woman who equates the actions of a guy hitting on her with the actions of a group of guys, (gay or not!) looking only for sex, even hitting on teenagers. She says "at least they were just horny, not the dangerous kind?" So what does that mean guys are dangerous, and women are all poor helpless victims?

Yes, I was sexually abused as a child, also. By a woman I trusted.

And I am sick and tired of the "men are pigs and abusive" BS just because they are forced to hit on women who are trained by society not to show any interest in a man, because "men are pigs and abusive". Catch-22 there.

And the way I see it, gay men are in the harder spot, trying to find another gay man; so I understand the guy hitting on me in line. I don't take offense to it. And it does not bother me. One openly gay guy on NPR says gay men "have to talk like this" (with the "stereotypical" gay men accent that sounds fem) so other gay men can find them. So what? I don't care.

I love you, brother Christopher.

I never meant to equate gay men with child molesting perverts. I feel my text was mis-interpreted. Only I had that one experience that was equated to, it seemed to me, all guys in general. However, I never saw a city park parking lot that was taken over by single strait guys looking to pick up any woman who pulls up alone, legal or not; however, besides the "gay pickup spot" one in Cook County, there was one here in Atlanta that was like that. The govment shut the whole park down. Harassment to the gay community, IMO. No one got hurt, no children were assaulted, to my knowledge. I think it sucks they shut it down.

But yes, I do think that, in my general experience, gay men can be quite forward in wanting a relationship of any kind, when they meet me, at least. Not bad people. Just very forward. I even had gay men hit on me at the nude beach in Hawai'i when the chick I was hangin' with kept her suit on and I didn't. But maybe that is only the 0.5% of gay men that I have met, and the rest are still in the closet.

Finally, my gay friends, when I was age 18, made me realize human rights are human rights for all! I hate being harassed, and stereotyped as a long haired hippie. I love hippies too, as well as gay men, lesbians, and all people, don't get me wrong. So again, my apologies for stereotyping gay men. But my experiences are my experiences, and society is society; and people are people are people are people, no matter what they like, where they are from, or the color of their skin.

If I have said anything that seems to offend anyone in this post, please call me out on it. It is not my intention, and I would like to clarify my words further if need be. I don't see my post quoted earlier as equating gay men with perverts; again I'm sorry if it was unclear; that was not my intention.

And Catallackid...knowing you are gay only makes me want to be your apprentice even more....you have SO much to teach me; and no that is not a sarcastic line of innuendo BS.... I believe we ALL need to keep opening our mind more to new ways of thinking beyond what we are accustom to. PEACE brother.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:17 PM   #67
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
Believe me, "they" (at least the ones I knew) are far worse than most any "strait" guy I have ever talked to, even the "strait dogs" who just want to "sexually conquer" every woman they can.
This is where I see I screwed up. "Worse" is a poor choice for a descriptor in this sentence. Metaphorically, I meant in the sense of they are "dogs" constantly "sniffing butts" for a scent of sex.... not worse as in bad people.
In dog world, sniffing a butt is just normal behavior. They are not bad for doing so.
All I mean to say, true or not I don't know, is that gay men in general are far more forward to ANY man than strait men in general are to women, in my case almost to the point of on-the-job harassment (when your boss grabs your ass) except I have a very open mind. How many strait guys let their gay boss grab their ass without getting punched? I certainly did not want my ass grabbed, and was not flattered.

This has been my personal experience. I'm sure my world view is smaller than I think, though. It's a human flaw.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:30 PM   #68
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I think I’ve disconnected everything except the starter and alternator and haven’t been able to stop the drain. Assuming I haven’t missed something, there’s still the alternator, starter, and primary wire runs to check. I’m still pretty convinced that 2A is too much of a draw for keeping memories charged.

IDK if it’s normal for all their buses, but when I went to inspect, all the auction buses at the bus yard had their batteries disconnected. That had cleared the check engine light. And I wouldn’t have bought it it if had a light on.

I’m going to ask around on the Chevy sites about the disconnect to find out if I can do that. I’ll report back here whatever I find out.

Thanks for your help!
Quote:

Chris, I would have never guessed you were 50. And I wouldn't consider leaving here because one dunce has skewed views. I'd bet the site would vote them gone before we let you leave here. You are one of the most valuable member
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:37 PM   #69
Bus Crazy

Not to derail the thread, but I ran into some issues climbing hills on the way through South Dakota. I know it's only going to get more severe when we hit some mountains. Being from Illinois, I've mostly driven the bus on flat lands. I'm pretty confident descending grades since we've got a retarder, an mt643 transmission and air brakes. How about climbing though? Any tips? The bus was sluggish, and I was prepared for that, but I don't want to overtax the engine and definitely don't want to overheat it.
At what point do I shift down to 3 (or even 2)? Before I start? Or while I'm climbing? Or do I just lump it, keep it in D and floored, and poke my way up until I reach the top?

Any tips, y'all?
Old 05-31-2019, 09:00 PM   #70
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Not to derail the thread, but I ran into some issues climbing hills on the way through South Dakota. I know it's only going to get more severe when we hit some mountains. Being from Illinois, I've mostly driven the bus on flat lands. I'm pretty confident descending grades since we've got a retarder, an mt643 transmission and air brakes. How about climbing though? Any tips? The bus was sluggish, and I was prepared for that, but I don't want to overtax the engine and definitely don't want to overheat it.
At what point do I shift down to 3 (or even 2)? Before I start? Or while I'm climbing? Or do I just lump it, keep it in D and floored, and poke my way up until I reach the top?

Any tips, y'all?
Sorry for derailing your thread. And sorry for ranting. You just touched a nerve of mine. It's hard being lonely, knowing your only hope for company doesn't want you to talk to them. Getting hit on doesn't bother me. I take it as a complement.

Let the tranny decide what it wants to do, unless the grade is steep/shallow/steep/shallow/steep/shallow or up/down/up/down/up/down. Under those conditions, the tranny works harder constantly shifting back and forth, so down shift your shifter knob to whatever lower gear that the tranny likes to use going up the steep part of the hill.

Keep your eye on the temp gauge, it will tell you if things are working too hard, and need a cooling break.

Peace and ALOHA!
Old 06-01-2019, 09:21 AM   #71
Bus Crazy

No worries, I didn't mean to poke a sore spot.

Thanks for the advice. The bus likes to run at 57 mph around 2300 rpm on flat ground. It doesn't downshift when going up a hill, it just slows down. When I downshifted half way up a hill it revved too high so I put it back in D. I'm used to driving a stick shift, just not sure how to handle the automatic transmission in a bus on a hill.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:30 AM   #72
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Unhappy

Quote:

PLEASE don't ever leave the forum!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:58 AM   #73
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: Thomas Bloodmobile
Engine: swap in progress -- 12 valve Cummins Diesel
Rated Cap: 87
Talking

You are NOT alone.

Fellow friend of Dorothy here.

Nice to meet ya!
e
Attached Images

invictus28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:22 PM   #74
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
...so we drove straight through our new domicile of South Dakota to the Badlands, outside of Wall, SD. Boondocking at the edge of the park right now, so I've attached a pic out our front door.
That is nice.....I had no idea the badlands had so much greenery. Are the bottom of those arroyos/ravines/canyons/trenches/ditches/furrows (no idea what they're called in that part of the country ) easily accessible on foot?

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:34 PM   #75
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
That is nice.....I had no idea the badlands had so much greenery. Are the bottom of those arroyos/ravines/canyons/trenches/ditches/furrows (no idea what they're called in that part of the country ) easily accessible on foot?
Let's put it this way, there's a herd of cattle down there so they're definitely accessible by hoof. Human foot though? I dunno......I think I can make my way down there taking a roundabout way. I can get up to the top of some of those buttes though, but it would be a very quick (albeit painful) descent to the bottom. I figger we'll have time to explore in the coming days.
Kristen is looking at a herd of bison in the distance as we speak, and there appears to be bison dung all around this ridge that we're parked on, so that's pretty cool.

This is our campsite:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1154.jpg  
Old 10-26-2019, 09:42 PM   #76
Bus Crazy

Welp, today marks 6 months into our full-time journey. We started in Chicago and have worked our way through Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho and are currently in Moab, Utah. It's been a slow ride.....around 4000 miles traveled. We're making improvements to the bus as we figure out what we need (currently, adding a diesel heater). We've stayed in amazing places, mostly for free. We've met some interesting and wonderful people in our travels and seen more beauty that we could have imagined, and picked up a dog along the way. We haven't felt like we've given up any of the conveniences of our stick-and-bricks life, everything is just about the same....but smaller. We've just gained the advantage of one beautiful backyard after another. We are so grateful to be able to live this journey!
Attached Thumbnails
PA181179.jpg  
Old 10-27-2019, 06:36 AM   #77
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Love that bus, and you folks are swell. Glad to see you're enjoying it!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:10 AM   #78
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I am envious.

It's going to be at least two more years before we can follow you. Hopefully we are going to get a taste in 2020. Hoping to take a month and head South.

Thank you for sharing your journey. It helps me keep my focus on getting my bus finished so I can hit the road
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:42 PM   #79
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Welp, today marks 6 months into our full-time journey.
Just had a chance to go through your blog. The bus looks VERY nice....well built and I really like the openness of it. And the blog itself is entertaining, and whomever is taking the pics knows his/her s**t.....some really well-composed shots there. Great job all around, guys!

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:50 PM   #80
Bus Crazy

Hey thanks fellas, you all are pretty swell too. We're happily surprised at how well suited we feel to live in this cozy place with amazing backyards that change with the weather. The layout of the bus is perfect for us, but there's always tweaks to be made. We keep making small improvements to the bus, this week it was a diesel air heater, which is nice since we're in a below-freezing cold snap lately. We've found that for everything we bring in, there's always something that can be ditched because we never use it. We get pretty lazy about our blog but it's a collaborative, if infrequent, effort. We're probably due for a 6-months-in/Lessons-learned post!