Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2020, 09:32 AM   #1

Introducing ourselves

Howdy from a couple of old folks in Texas.

I've been lurking on this site for about a year but our skoolie dreams go so much further back than that! When we were young and our 4 oldest children were littles we took a winter job tree planting in the southeast US. We packed up the family and spent 3 months on the road in a '68 fireball travel trailer, moving every couple of days, and covering 5 states. One of the other families on our crew had a fantastic skoolie, the first I'd ever seen and the dream was born.

Over the years we've had a lot of dreams and many of them have been recognized. We lived a year completely off grid in the Ozark Mountains, getting our water from natural sprigs, growing and hunting our own food, and showering under waterfalls. We've owned a 30 acre small organic farm for the past couple of decades, the place we still live today, and have enjoyed every minute here.

And now our skoolie dream and dreams of travel are coming to life. We've bought our bus, it's been gutted, we were lucky to find a rust-free bus but have treated it to avoid problems in the future. The floor are in and walls are going up. We have a floor plan and are flexible if things will obviously work out better some other way as we get into it.

But with all this excitement I realize that my skills milking cows and canning food do not exactly translate to building things and this site has been an invaluable resource for answering my questions. However, I've found that because so many others have gone before, most things are asked and answered, and I've had little reason to actually post. (well, except in that panic moment when my insurer had never even heard the word skoolie).

So today I just want to say how grateful I am to each of you who has added your knowledge to these forums and want you know that we are here and learning and appreciating you.

Nonesuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:12 PM   #2

You may have learned this already? But something I have learn the hard way is, Is when Once you have your Skoolie Registered as an RV, when it comes to any kind of Insurance you always, and I mean ALWAYS refer to your skoolie as an RV Period when talking to the Insurance Company. Don't Volunteer any info to them "( The Insurance Co. )" that your Skoolie is any thing more or less than a plain old RV. Enjoy your freedom while you still can! " Steve The Coffee Bean Junkie! " And Yes the Coffee is always Brewing!
Coffee Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:13 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Bean View Post
You may have learned this already? But something I have learn the hard way is, Is when Once you have your Skoolie Registered as an RV, when it comes to any kind of Insurance you always, and I mean ALWAYS refer to your skoolie as an RV Period when talking to the Insurance Company. Don't Volunteer any info to them "( The Insurance Co. )" that your Skoolie is any thing more or less than a plain old RV. Enjoy your freedom while you still can! " Steve The Coffee Bean Junkie! " And Yes the Coffee is always Brewing!
FWIW if "The Insurance Co." company is Allstate, you can let on that it's a bus.