Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2017, 08:32 PM   #1

Talking Introductions and Thanks!

Hi all! My online tag is Toris, its a college nickname that stuck and we'll leave it at that. Before I introduce myself further, I would like to give a huge shout-out to all those who have signed up before me, and have taken the time out of their lives to share their knowledge and experiences. So many thoughts in my head have been echoed before me and so many people chime in. Its really an amazing community.

A little about me; I'm 35 years old and an Iowa boy. I currently work in ski-town colorado. We have a vibrant summer tourism season but still the off season is hard. Recently, my landlord for the last 6 years came to me and told me he is turning his units into vacation short stay rentals. Soooo i'm out on my butt April 1st. Instead of signing a lease, I've found a place to park and work on my bus for the summer and a ton of resources for labor and expertise. I'm maybe a little overconfident in what I can do, but I blame you, skoolie.net, for most of this confidence.

My school bus needs are as follows;
at least 28' behind steering wheel
I prefer a bulldog but could be talked into a pusher
2003 or before
minimal rust
$3000 or under or close enough to defer the $1000 budget I have for transport
solid engine and tranny (preferably cummins or d466 international)

And I'd last like to leave my introduction with a request from the forum. If you have a moment, please share with my your own anxieties of the pre-bus stage. Right now I am diligently watching many online auctions and even some regional auctions. I see what they sell for and have one of two reactions: a) I get really nervous that the prices are so high and I'll be forced to spend a lot more than I intend or b)I'm amazed at how cheap they got it and get nervous that I won't find anything like that when I'm ready to pull the trigger (march). So please! Reply with your own story of going through this, and if you have time share how much you were budgeting, how much you ended paying, and from where you purchased your skoolie.

And thanks again, I am so appreciative of you all for your contributions to this site! Happy Skooling!

torismaul1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:06 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by torismaul1981 View Post
Hi all! My online tag is Toris, its a college nickname that stuck and we'll leave it at that. Before I introduce myself further, I would like to give a huge shout-out to all those who have signed up before me, and have taken the time out of their lives to share their knowledge and experiences. So many thoughts in my head have been echoed before me and so many people chime in. Its really an amazing community.

A little about me; I'm 35 years old and an Iowa boy. I currently work in ski-town colorado. We have a vibrant summer tourism season but still the off season is hard. Recently, my landlord for the last 6 years came to me and told me he is turning his units into vacation short stay rentals. Soooo i'm out on my butt April 1st. Instead of signing a lease, I've found a place to park and work on my bus for the summer and a ton of resources for labor and expertise. I'm maybe a little overconfident in what I can do, but I blame you, skoolie.net, for most of this confidence.

My school bus needs are as follows;
at least 28' behind steering wheel
I prefer a bulldog but could be talked into a pusher
2003 or before
minimal rust
$3000 or under or close enough to defer the $1000 budget I have for transport
solid engine and tranny (preferably cummins or d466 international)

And I'd last like to leave my introduction with a request from the forum. If you have a moment, please share with my your own anxieties of the pre-bus stage. Right now I am diligently watching many online auctions and even some regional auctions. I see what they sell for and have one of two reactions: a) I get really nervous that the prices are so high and I'll be forced to spend a lot more than I intend or b)I'm amazed at how cheap they got it and get nervous that I won't find anything like that when I'm ready to pull the trigger (march). So please! Reply with your own story of going through this, and if you have time share how much you were budgeting, how much you ended paying, and from where you purchased your skoolie.

And thanks again, I am so appreciative of you all for your contributions to this site! Happy Skooling!
Welcome, Toris!

I budgeted $3000 and got mine for this: Public Surplus: Auction #1682539 Which made me a very happy camper (pun intended!)

I bought it late September, picked it up and drove it 1100 miles home in October and moved in it on November 6th (while still working on it, all I needed was the essentials!).

I guess my fear was buying a bus and then it breaking down on the way home and not having the resources to pay for the issue and then losing all the money I spent on buying the bus and getting to the bus! Luckily, none of that happened... I only drove home towards a Cat 4 Hurricane Matthew, LOL

You can see what I've done so far here: www.thismidwifetravels.com

Look forward to seeing your build!

Sandi
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #3

Thanks Sandi! I've actually visited your site and even saw your auction before! Like I've said, I've poured over this site for the last month or so. Thanks for your reply. As inspirational as it is I think i need to calm myself and prepare for a deal not quite as awesome. I'm hoping the market will get a little better as spring roles around and more buses are popping up on auction sites.
torismaul1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:45 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by torismaul1981 View Post
Thanks Sandi! I've actually visited your site and even saw your auction before! Like I've said, I've poured over this site for the last month or so. Thanks for your reply. As inspirational as it is I think i need to calm myself and prepare for a deal not quite as awesome. I'm hoping the market will get a little better as spring roles around and more buses are popping up on auction sites.
Fingers crossed for yoU!
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote