Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2018, 05:28 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
In Raleigh.
I am down at the beach along with another member.
Have a member in Asheville that if my work works out I will be meeting him on Saturday and I met a member out of Greenville last week.
Your not that far away.
If you need help let me know.
NC insurance agent let me know. At least 3
have gone through my agent. With no problems
Let me know if I can help.

Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:33 PM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: Cummins ISC 8.3 Allison MD3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
In Raleigh.
I am down at the beach along with another member.
Have a member in Asheville that if my work works out I will be meeting him on Saturday and I met a member out of Greenville last week.
Your not that far away.
If you need help let me know.
NC insurance agent let me know. At least 3
have gone through my agent. With no problems
Let me know if I can help.
Awesome! Thanks! The chance to meet new folks is definitely one of the reasons I am looking forward to this project and the traveling that comes with a Skoolie.

James
JamieJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:03 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
There was another member last year that wanted a mobile tea shop in Durham but haven't heard much since.
When if you are ready/willing I have a few options for a free as for as places to park and hang out options. If you have any. Can keep the kids busy to.
One is a Boy Scout hut with everything but a shower and the other is a 50-acre field with nothing but can tap into a dog kennel sewer for dumping or just tent camp,air mattress in a building or something like that.
A state campground about 10-min up the road that is 17$ a day for an RV spot or 7$ a day for a tent. With shower and all.
The building is big enough for 20 boys with tables and chairs so a brainstorming session is doable if you are interested.
Some have schedules that are open for whatever time it takes and some have schedules that are done within months of from buy to build done.
Anything I can help with holler.
I am a pipe fitter/ plumber buy trade but have been through all the paces for 21 years on mainly govt projects as a steam fitter/welder but at the same time gas line (types) and plumbing and along the way electrical.
Not my strong point but it won't burn down.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:35 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3L T444 Navistar Diesel Automatic
Welcome and congrats!

I'm sure you'll have a much easier time in NC finding a place to park it than I am having in Southern California.

EDIT: Btw, I named my bus Rowena. She's a bit of a witch, but you can't help loving her!
mikej42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:04 AM   #25
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Best bus I've seen in a long time- nice score. All the boxes checked.

Get reading and scheming.

I'm going to have to agree on Peanut Butter....my 5-spd Md3060 is jelly.

Welcome !!!! These are the "good" days- relish them.
I am starting to like the name Peanut Butter haha

These are good days, but the really good days come after the hard work, long hours and gobs of money sunk into it, then the traveling around the country meeting kewl and interesting folks! Those will really be the great days!

James
Old 02-02-2018, 07:08 AM   #26
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
There was another member last year that wanted a mobile tea shop in Durham but haven't heard much since.
When if you are ready/willing I have a few options for a free as for as places to park and hang out options. If you have any. Can keep the kids busy to.
One is a Boy Scout hut with everything but a shower and the other is a 50-acre field with nothing but can tap into a dog kennel sewer for dumping or just tent camp,air mattress in a building or something like that.
A state campground about 10-min up the road that is 17$ a day for an RV spot or 7$ a day for a tent. With shower and all.
The building is big enough for 20 boys with tables and chairs so a brainstorming session is doable if you are interested.
Some have schedules that are open for whatever time it takes and some have schedules that are done within months of from buy to build done.
Anything I can help with holler.
I am a pipe fitter/ plumber buy trade but have been through all the paces for 21 years on mainly govt projects as a steam fitter/welder but at the same time gas line (types) and plumbing and along the way electrical.
Not my strong point but it won't burn down.
Hey thanks for the offer and information! I actually live in Zebulon, NC but always put Raleigh in the forums since many people don't know where Zebulon is.. haha

I live with my best friend right now and he has about 3 acres here and then my father owns a farm about 90 minutes east of here where most of the work will take place.

It would be nice to meet up with some folks during and through the build, or after... We could hold a mini meetup here on the 3 acres one weekend.

Thanks again for the offer to help, I am sure I will have some questions along this process..

James
Old 02-02-2018, 10:00 PM   #27
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas MVP
Engine: Cat 3126B
Rated Cap: 20800
Very nice bus, James! Mine may be 4 years newer but I’m jealous of your transmission and the basement storage! I will have to build mine.

Desmond
Dizzyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:34 PM   #28
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Very nice bus!! I haven't bought mine yet, but definitely will search harder to try to find one close to as nice as yours. I look forward to following your build.
TrailLifeBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:14 PM   #29
Skoolie

OK, I have a question.. Does anyone know where I can find a operator's manual for a Thomas Saf-T-Liner ER?

I have found a bunch for blur bird or newer Thomas buses but nothing really for the ER.

I am willing to pay for a copy if you know anyone selling it. I am due to go pick up my bus soon and would just like to read up on know what I am getting into beforehand..

Any help would be appreciated!

James