Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2021, 01:29 PM   #1

Year: 2001
Engine: CUMMINS ISM M11
Exclamation Just bought a 2001 Gillig LF 35.

And I’m reeling, tires, mechanical, registration, insurance, and just driving the damn thing…lol. I’m picking it up in Gainesville, Fl. Driving it to Jacksonville, FL. From there to Cookeville, Tennessee. Then to Vegas, via I40.

First and foremost I’m looking to connect with other Gillig owners. I need resources for all of the above, so I will be prowling this site looking for answers and posting.

I know I have bitten off a chunk, so no negative nay sayers, please, I am realistic in my expectations, which are really low at this point. I’m probably going to end up storing it and selling it, but until then….it’s going to be a wild ride.

Thanks for your interest and help.

Persistence is everything, the gutters are full of talented and educated Men. Persistence is the only thing that makes it come to fruition. Dream, but do. Action is all that matters.

Gilligguy107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:53 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
We are near Flagstaff, right of I-40 on your way to Vegas. We have 3 Gilligs...they're great buses. Our are 2001 Phantoms (2) and an older school bus.

The low floor is a great bus and very similar in mechanics to our Phantoms...and we work on our own buses...so I'm happy to offer any experience I can. Feel free to stop and show off your bus on your way past and, if you need, you're welcome to overnight here or in the forest across the road (photo of that area, below, for reference).

The only challenges with the low floor design are the lack of room below, for tanks, and the tiered interior floor with the big front fender wells. But if you can work around those things, it's a really nice platform that's a pleasure to drive. And they're very well made, by a company that's still in business.

I've got manuals for ours and some of that might apply to yours. When you get a chance, tell us more about your bus...what engine and transmission to you have?

EDIT: After I posted, I see you've got the ISM. I'd missed that. So our manuals won't help you on that. What tranny is in yours? A Voith or Allison or that other one I forget the name of?

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2021-06-02 11.51.05.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	58027
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:23 PM   #3

2001 GILLIG LF 35’ BUS
FA # 63718
FLEET NO: 107
YEAR: 2001
MODEL: GILLIG LF 35’ BUS
ENGINE: CUMMINS ISM M11
TRANSMISSION: BR 400R 5 SPEED
EXTERIOR COLOR: BLUE & WHITE
SEATS: 32 PASSENGER, 2 WHEELCHAIR
LIFE MILES: 675474
TIRES: FAIR CONDITION (ALUMINUM RIMS)
WHEEL CHAIR RAMP : RICON
BUS WAS USED FOR DAILY SERVICE UNTIL THE DAY IT WAS REMOVED DUE TO REPLACEMENT. ALL MAJOR COMPONENTS FUNCTIONING. COLD A/C.

Thanks Ross, appreciated. Big fan of Flagstaff and Sedona area, but I'm skeptical that the bus will make vegas this trip, considering all those miles. What was I thinking? It was the cold AC that sealed my fate, surely if the AC is blowing cold the thing will make 3000 more miles. If I make Tennessee I will be giddy, have 4 brothers to help me tear it down there and store it til I can save the nxt trough of cash to move it here. I got lucky the city of Gainesville was selling several memorial day, all similar with same milage the early ones went for $3000, mine was mid afternoon and I be damned if I didn't get it for $1575.00, $1882.12 with fees and tax. Jackpot! So will see. Again appreciate you reaching out, you gotta give'em hope eh. Now I'll pester ya to death, like how do I start the damn thing.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:37 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: G27E102
Engine: Cummins ISL 280
Rated Cap: 26,000 lbs
Hey, welcome!

I got a 2009 ISL280 LF30 with a B400R. I often wish I was able to find a 35 footer

I find mine fascinating, particularly the multiplex system.

I hope yours came with the service manuals. You are going to need them! I hope yours came with an Allison transmission, the ZFs and Voiths are apparently hard to get serviced.

EDIT: just saw the post above!

For the newer models, you can find equivalent PDFs online:

http://www.catchacat.org/wp-content/...ab-Parts-3.pdf

https://www.scribd.com/doc/89597938/...cal-Schematics

And then some. You are going to need the Service Manual, Parts Manual, and the Wiring Diagram.

The ISM manuals are widely available, you should make an account on the Cummins document portal - Cummins Insite. A lot of valuable information is available for free there.
Bert06840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:41 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligguy107 View Post
2001 GILLIG LF 35’ BUS
...I got lucky the city of Gainesville was selling several memorial day, all similar with same milage the early ones went for $3000, mine was mid afternoon and I be damned if I didn't get it for $1575.00, $1882.12 with fees and tax. Jackpot! So will see.
You. Gotta. Be. Kidding.

STEAL.

Many of them do a million miles, and with some luck you have had an engine and transmission overhaul already done.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:14 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Here’s a nice video of its native habitat:

Old 06-02-2021, 07:26 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert06840 View Post
Here’s a nice video of its native habitat:
Man, I used to live in Gainesville (early 90s) and I didn't recognize one single thing in that video. The scooters really seem to have multiplied to an insane degree - I drove a Yamaha 250 around for a year then but I rarely saw anybody else on one.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:42 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligguy107 View Post
And I’m reeling, tires, mechanical, registration, insurance, and just driving the damn thing…lol. I’m picking it up in Gainesville, Fl. Driving it to Jacksonville, FL. From there to Cookeville, Tennessee. Then to Vegas, via I40.

First and foremost I’m looking to connect with other Gillig owners. I need resources for all of the above, so I will be prowling this site looking for answers and posting.

I know I have bitten off a chunk, so no negative nay sayers, please, I am realistic in my expectations, which are really low at this point. I’m probably going to end up storing it and selling it, but until then….it’s going to be a wild ride.

Thanks for your interest and help.

Persistence is everything, the gutters are full of talented and educated Men. Persistence is the only thing that makes it come to fruition. Dream, but do. Action is all that matters.

That is a great Calvin Coolidge quote, & since you purchaced on Memorial Day, we should remember him & another quote.

"A nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten."
-Calvin Coolidge
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:42 PM   #9

Tanks D. The Mrs. is a LT Commander in the Navy, we never forget. Looks like your close to the bus, couldn't wrangle an inspection from you for wages and a case of whatever your drinking, could I?
Old 06-02-2021, 10:45 PM   #10

Thanks for the info, don't know if I got lucky or I am cursed. Guess will find out, Take care GilligBro.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:16 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: Cummins ISM / Allison B500 Combo
OMG, how crazy is that? I just bought a Gillig Phanton 42 2001 in Seattle and drove all the way to Palm Coast Florida just east of Gainesville… i know nothing about the bus life but i’m enjoying every step… good luck my friend. Here if i can help with anything
caioalmeida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gillig, insurance, registration, tires