Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2020, 12:30 PM   #1

Year: 2010
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE
Engine: MaxxForce DT
Rated Cap: 31k
Just bought my first bus

Hello
I just bought an International CE 77 passenger bus from the local auction house. My plan is to convert it to a RV and use it to tow a car trailer to the track. It has the MaxxForce DT engine.

Of course, when I got it home I found several issues, including a missing TCM. I'm starting to work through those issues, and happy to find this site. I'm in the metro Detroit area.

Thanks
Ken

BB69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:19 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Sorry to say, your other problem is the MaxxForce DT engine. These things are widely regarded as junk, many requiring rebuilds within 6-8 years of new delivery, and they are being dumped left and right. Emissions control issues are common on 04-07-up diesels as well, particularly DPF/DEF systems. MaxxForce in general are a problem, but especially the DT, all of which is commonly discussed here. However, these are painted black, the DT466E, sometimes confused with the MaxxForce DT, is painted blue. Hopefully yours is a DT466E , or will buck the trend...
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:10 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Yeah, even one of the major bus dealers out here told me to stay away from the Maxxforce DT when I was looking. I was tempted at the price of $9500 for a 2012 unit that still gleamed of newness. I don't think that bus even had any evidence of throwup in it yet! I appreciated their honesty. So that was a wakeup call for me to do more research and ended up with the power train I wanted despite my bus not having the underbelly storage or cruise control.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:15 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Is "Rated Cap" in your profile details supposed to be weight or number of passengers?