Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2019, 01:19 PM   #1

Just starting out in the Schoolie Culture

Hello, I'm David, and I'm a total newcomer to bus conversion. I'm so in the process of locating a suitable bus, and planning out how I will utilize the space. I'm looking for a bus with at least six or seven rows of school bus windows, or any other bus of comparable length. I'm also looking to be able to live with as little non renewable energy as possible, with the use if solar power and a woodfired cookstove for cooking on and heating the space. I am currently living in New Jersey, but looking to move further north to find work I cannot find where I am, and be closer to places I like to hike.

CrazyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Can you spell R-U-S-T, check your bus over well for rust, better yet buy it from somewhere out west or down south.

Welcome and good luck finding your bus. Lots of helpful folks here. Try to avoid the AT545 trans check over your tires tread and date before buying, and oh ya anything pre 2004 I think it is. no DEF and emission junk,

PS: I use to live in Mt.Holly years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
I am currently living in New Jersey.
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:22 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E Navistar
Rated Cap: 28,900
Just out of curiosity,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskypc50 View Post
Can you spell R-U-S-T, check your bus over well for rust, better yet buy it from somewhere out west or down south.

Welcome and good luck finding your bus. Lots of helpful folks here. Try to avoid the AT545 trans check over your tires tread and date before buying, and oh ya anything pre 2004 I think it is. no DEF and emission junk,

PS: I use to live in Mt.Holly years ago.

What's the scoop on the AT545 transmissions? I'm also in the process of finding a bus and it seems as though that is a pretty common set up on the DT466's. And Rust.... serious issue here in New England. Good luck on the bus hunt CrazyDave, and thanks in advance for the info Bigskypc50
Smitty
Smittybilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:51 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittybilt View Post
What's the scoop on the AT545 transmissions? I'm also in the process of finding a bus and it seems as though that is a pretty common set up on the DT466's. And Rust.... serious issue here in New England. Good luck on the bus hunt CrazyDave, and thanks in advance for the info Bigskypc50
Smitty
The AT545 does not have a locking torque converter, so it is always working against the fluid. High sustained highway speeds tend to heat it up, heat is a killer. Also because it does not lock up, there is no engine compression to slow you down going down hills. So you end up burning up brakes if you're not careful coming down mountain passes.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:50 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
The AT545 is a non lock up trans, so on the highway and hills they make a lot of heat. You want a MT643 or better newer. And with any trans heat will kill them very quickly.
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:19 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466E Navistar
Rated Cap: 28,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
The AT545 does not have a locking torque converter, so it is always working against the fluid. High sustained highway speeds tend to heat it up, heat is a killer. Also because it does not lock up, there is no engine compression to slow you down going down hills. So you end up burning up brakes if you're not careful coming down mountain passes.

Now that right there is some good info to have, I appreciate it 01marc. An International is more than likely the way I'm going to go
Smitty
Smittybilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittybilt View Post
Now that right there is some good info to have, I appreciate it 01marc. An International is more than likely the way I'm going to go
Smitty
International, wise choice.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote