Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2021, 03:09 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Just wanted to say Hi!

Hi guys just wanted to introduce myself, me and my girlfriend have been planning a bus for a few weeks now and I've been on here a couple of times so made sense to make an account.

It started out with us wanting to buy a place together, but house prices up here in the Boston, MA area are crazy!!! This got us looking at tiny homes but we both soon realized we didn't even know if this is where we wanted to settle! I'm originally from the UK and moved over here with work, I've never seen the rest of the US but have travelled plenty of Europe and Asia and she's only ever left New England once!!

So vanlife became the plan so we could tour the US for a while and decide where we want to settle together...but vans are too small haha so here we are planning a Skoolie.

We are looking at a short bus, ideally a Ford E450 or GMC 6 window but we've planned it around a 5 window (if we get the extra 2 ft inside bonus!) I personally could be pushed to get a bigger 8 or 9 window although the girlfriend isn't keen as she doesn't want to be restricted at all (height, parking, climbing mountains etc)

I've put together a build in CAD (that changes regularly) it includes everything we want, shower, dinette, wood burning stove and a reasonable size kitchen.

Look forward to building it and using this forum for all the guidance!!

Cheers
Ash
Attached Thumbnails
E450 Skoolie Build 2.0.jpg   E450 Skoolie Build Dinette.jpg   E450 Skoolie Build Kitchen.jpg  

Proudy202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:42 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
This is almost exactly my build layout!

I have the 6 window so my bed runs along the length, not sideways. The fridge is a dorm style, up above some extra water storage (3 jerrycans). My shower is 40" wide and the DIY composting toilet is on a drawer slide so it slides into the shower space, like a filing cabinet opening from the left.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:54 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I like the sound of that toilet setup! Any chance you have any pictures of how it?

I have tried laying it out with a length ways bed but it's just so tight in a 5 window!
Old 06-28-2021, 03:59 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proudy202 View Post
I like the sound of that toilet setup! Any chance you have any pictures of how it?

I have tried laying it out with a length ways bed but it's just so tight in a 5 window!
Yeah, like you say, that extra two feed is what makes the difference.

Pictures posted here: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...lbums2040.html
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:05 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Haha yeah I just had to search how to do it been along time since I've been on a forum!

"Go Advanced" at the bottom of reply, then "manage attachments" and from there you can just upload straight from you phone or computer

Ash
Old 06-28-2021, 04:19 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Nice floor plan. Have you found a prospective bus yet? I have mine up for sale which is about the same length as your drawing, and includes the wheelchair door. PM me for specs and a couple photos if interested - the interior is already mostly removed.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 05:20 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

We haven't yet, we're not quite at the stage to buy, I'm also tied into a contract with work for another 2 years, so we're in no rush.

I've been looking like I say at the E450s or GMC cutaways...ideally I'm after a 7.3 PSD or Duramax but would settle with the 6.0 Gas in a Chevy

Cheer
Ash
Old 06-28-2021, 05:35 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

I have an IH/BlueBird, so it's not a cutaway like the Fords and Chevy/GMC's. Granted, it sits a bit higher, but that also means you'd have room - and very importantly, weight capacity underneath for tanks, generator, batteries, A/C and whatever else your build involves. Standing at around 10' tall, I've not encountered any issues with its height so far. I've found I can relatively easily back it into many typical parking spots.
Mine has the T444E (same thing as the 7.3) with a 5-speed manual.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:08 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I have an IH/BlueBird, so it's not a cutaway like the Fords and Chevy/GMC's. Granted, it sits a bit higher, but that also means you'd have room - and very importantly, weight capacity underneath for tanks, generator, batteries, A/C and whatever else your build involves. Standing at around 10' tall, I've not encountered any issues with its height so far. I've found I can relatively easily back it into many typical parking spots.
Mine has the T444E (same thing as the 7.3) with a 5-speed manual.
What's the GVWR on that? I keep having this argument with the girlfriend about needing the extra weight capacity!

How does it do in mountain passes too?
Old 06-28-2021, 08:25 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Mine's 25500 GVWR, and about 14000 empty (yes, I weighed it). You'll find the Ford and Chevy/GMC cutaways with much less weight capacity to spare, something like a 10000 GVWR and 7500 pound empty weight (numbers are approximate, but many builds find themselves with about 2000-2500 pounds to work with before exceeding the GVWR).
Keep in mind that this taxes the chassis, engine, transmission and brakes to their limits, shortening their life expectancy. A heavier duty chassis will handle the weight much more easily and last longer.
I haven't taken mine through any mountains, but it does seem to handle hills fairly well.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:35 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah that extra capacity would be nice! Even if not to use but just to not have to worry!!!

The Chevy/GMC is 12300 GVWR and the Ford is actually 14000 but I'm not sure where they start for weight, like you say the closet I am to that the more taxing on the vehicle it is!

Me and the girlfriend may have to re visit this discussion!!