Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I could travel the country making textiles, often parking by sheep pastures. What do ewe think?

Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:54 PM   #22
Skoolie

What sort of loom?

I used to have one that hooked over a doorknob (or hook, or anything else that would work as a reasonable anchor) and the other end strapped around my waist. You just stand far enough away to keep tension and weave the bit right in front of your waist. If you google waist loom weaving, you'll see what I mean. When you're not actively weaving, it just rolls up nice and small.

I currently have a little inkle loom that I use for tablet weaving. It's small enough to sit on a tv tray, so that's pretty portable to begin with.
mysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:01 PM   #23
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I could travel the country making textiles, often parking by sheep pastures. What do ewe think?
That sounds like shear delight! You could lead the flock and start a new trend. Maybe I should try that and our buses could pass like sheeps in the night? Just don't fall asheep at the wheel! ;)
Old 04-09-2016, 01:38 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I love the idea of a work-studio travelling rig.. thats a big part of what my bus is going to be.. im a software / hardware developer.. my bus is going to have a Mobile VoIP server lab in it to test my creations.. often I get lots of ideas while driving. in fact I drive for hours sometimes to get ideas.... up to this point ive always had to take notes then at the end of the day I get a hotel.. schlepp a bunch of luggage into a room, build up a lab set up then end up forgetting hald of my ideas..

with my bus I'll be able to simply find an exit or a rest area and put the ideas to the test within Minutes!..

you could so do that with a costume studio.. you get an idea.. stop the bus pop a sewing machine right out of a storage bin.. you can let your bus idle and run the A/C, even have an inverter to run the machines.. or if you have a generator you are set..

if the weather is nice you open all the windows and the big side door and you can be parked where its scenic and enjoy making something right on the spot!!

how cool is that!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:39 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysty View Post
That sounds like shear delight! You could lead the flock and start a new trend. Maybe I should try that and our buses could pass like sheeps in the night? Just don't fall asheep at the wheel! ;)
no counting sheep while driving
Old 04-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Sorry Mysty, I don't actually have a loom. I was just poking fun at dgorila1's sewing machine idea. I had this image in my head of bobbins, spools and bolts of material everywhere. My skills and patience don't run that direction. I think some kind of viable rolling business would be cool. I'm retired and my best claim to fame is making really good coffee for old fashioned coffee purists. Coffee that the sunlight doesn't pass through and it doesn't taste like it was steeped in an old washcloth. Then again, any commercial efforts utilizing a bus would support the commercial insurance policy ideas the insurance companies want to sell us. It would be nice to make some extra cheddar as a rolling barista, but I think I'll just stick to making coffee for people I enjoy talking to.

I live on an old sheep ranch in the coastal mountains of Oregon, but I have no sheep. I don't use wool in any way as I'm allergic to it. Go figure. I have considered dying wool for spinners and weavers using black walnut husks.

That's pretty far off subject. Maybe it's time to go back.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:38 PM   #27
Skoolie

I was a barista for a couple of years while I was in school, so I can appreciate a good cup of coffee too!

Most of my creative energy goes into code and digital art since I make games for a living, but every now and then, I like to get my hands dirty and make something I can touch. I suggested doing a youtube channel following the weird adventures of the traveling game studio and all of the kooky ways I get sidetracked... but maintaining a successful video series is a full time job in and of itself!
Old 04-09-2016, 03:04 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Yeah, that's how I use up my download allowance. Youtube seems to have more topics than Wikipedia.
You must have already thought of doing a barista thing out of a bus. I can see where making games would pay better and you don't have to deal with any whiney complaints.
I'm in the neighborhood of 3,000 miles away. I doubt our sheeps will cross paths unless you're doing some serious wandering. I'd like to drive across the country sometime but I've got to get my basic hotel room put together in my bus still. Florida is on my bucket list, but if I'm going by bus I think I'm going to need AC. Oregonians wilt in those high humidity areas. We're delicate you know.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:20 PM   #29
Skoolie

Ah, but Oregon is on our "must-see" list. My husband's best friend (besides me) moved out there just last month, so we have to go visit and see his new place.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:45 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysty View Post
I was a barista for a couple of years while I was in school, so I can appreciate a good cup of coffee too!

Most of my creative energy goes into code and digital art since I make games for a living, but every now and then, I like to get my hands dirty and make something I can touch. I suggested doing a youtube channel following the weird adventures of the traveling game studio and all of the kooky ways I get sidetracked... but maintaining a successful video series is a full time job in and of itself!

im not a professional barista but I much enjoy coffee-drink experimentation in my home.. I have a higher end home machine that allows me to pull my own shots manually as well as automatic pulls... now im not on the west coast.. however Columbus Ohio has really become a coffee town.. a really good one compared to many of the cities in which I travel... we have a ton of roasters many of which source their own beans and create their own blends.. we also have a culture of openness in the community with baristas willing to share and teach enthusiasts.. a couple of the local shops I patronize will let me get behind the counter when its slow and make my own drinks with them showing me about it...

alot of my creative energy is in Code as well... I am a partner and DEV in a company that has created a VoIP product line for strictly hospitality.. I am retty much the visionary of the product and the CTO for how we implement various ideas.. so basically I have a sandbox of all kinds of things.. everyone in our organization knows im a bit off-the-wall..(but no one minds since I pulled off a Feat in 5 years that many voice companies havent done in 20....) so it came to little surprise when I dreamed up the DEV bus...

my fascination not only with software but also building hardware.. (after all I designed and built a custom built a zoned HVAC for my home that makes the Nest look like an old honeywell)... the bus itself will be a Dev project building its connected-infrastructure as well as the HVAC, monitoring systems, and of course the DEV work lab.. eventually even the dash-control panel will be "glass"...

originally I was going to have 'SHORT BUS' across the top of my bus, but now am thinking it will be 'DEV NULL' or 'DEV RANDOM'

Ok I really took this thread off the tracks......

-Christopher
Old 04-09-2016, 03:48 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
but if I'm going by bus I think I'm going to need AC. Oregonians wilt in those high humidity areas. We're delicate you know.

im all about A/C just for the challenge of building it!..

ive built quite a few old car projects in the past and while everyone else in ohio was ripoing out the A/C.. I was adding it in.. I even built a 10 second Drag car with a catch-can for the water so I could run the A/C while lining up to race

-Christopher
Old 04-09-2016, 05:19 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Cadillac, are you developing the engine monitoring software yourself? I've seen ones for diesel engines that are expensive. be cool if you could develop the same thing for a fraction of the price.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:53 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
Cadillac, are you developing the engine monitoring software yourself? I've seen ones for diesel engines that are expensive. be cool if you could develop the same thing for a fraction of the price.
I am, because my engine is fully mechanical DT360.. there's no PCM to grab data from so I'll be adding my own sensors and writing the code...

the HVAC boards I developed for my home HVAC a few years ago will do most of what I need hardware-wise.. (they can monitor temperatures, pressures and dry contact) so I'll likely use that as the Data-board and the use a Raspberry Pi networked to the data board for the GUI.. I can write the GUI in QT for a nicer experience.. though a browser based solution would allow me to Post my results to a cloud server if I wanted to allow people to view real-time stats of my bus.. some of my friends have expressed interest in seeing where my bus goes and what it does so I may cloud-connect it... if I do I'll make the GUI a browser based AJAX solution..

-Christopher
Old 04-09-2016, 07:42 PM   #34
Skoolie

I'm more than halfway through the garage, and I've started working on decluttering the kitchen as well. (I'm allergic to dust and pollen, so I can't work on the garage for too many days in a row this time of year.) Today, I noticed these little copper canisters and kettles. Several years ago, I had been scouring flea markets and garage sales looking for a set of copper canisters. Months went by, and I had still had no luck. I remember telling my husband on one such trip, “Someday… maybe not today, but SOMEDAY… they will be there.” Of course, that was the day we found them. I remember being so happy with my little treasure! I knew exactly how Julie Andrews’ character, Maria, felt when she sang about “bright copper kettles” as some of her favorite things.

I have a confession to make. I was scared to actually use them. Well, maybe not “scared,” exactly, but I didn’t want to mess them up. For YEARS, they have sat empty on my counter top, slowly collecting dust and tarnish. So when I saw them today, I decided it was time to fix that. I polished them up with some salt and vinegar, and now they are so shiny and bright! I couldn't resist taking them out into the sunshine for a picture. I think this is what people mean when they talk about only keeping the things that bring you joy, so now I'm sharing a little joy with you!

Thanks for all of the encouragement! (And I love the side topic meanderings too!)
Old 04-09-2016, 07:55 PM   #35
Bus Geek

I swear my mom had the SAME SET when I was growing up! not the teapots but the canisters.. and ours had little dents just like those.. and thats where we kept the flour and sugar and teabags and stuff for baking!! they definitely got used.. I would put flour and sugar and tea and stuff for baking in them!
-Christopher
Old 04-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #36
Skoolie

Haha, your mom has good taste! My mom had these classics when I was growing up, in dull orange and avacado green.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:08 PM   #37

ya I grew up with that Tupperware set in brown and yellow, many memories of baking
Soft Kiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Well, my canisters are bigger than your canisters.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:16 PM   #39
Skoolie

I worked on de-cluttering our office today, since my hubby was home to help me. We have SO MANY video games and toys. We've already found several duplicates, like this...

and this...

and even this...
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

Shame on us! I also have tons of Cartoon Network swag, since I worked there for a few years. Some lucky people are going to find treasure at our garage sale!
Old 04-11-2016, 06:56 AM   #40
Bus Geek

cool stuff!!

some of that stuff you may want to invest in a storage unit for.. if it has meaning for you...

my biggest nemesis is Christmas lights... I have sooo many christmas lights.. everything from old 1960s GE sets all the way up to Computer controllable sets where each light can be controlled individually up to 16 million colors...

the advantage i have is that im not trying to "tiny home".. but nevertheless this thread has really gotten me into a de-clutter mode.. all kinds of other stuff I have found in my basement that i am like "why??" along the lines of finding all kinds of travel books and guides about NYC, DC, etc.. yes paper books might still be fun on an old-school road trip.. but I really dont think most of the data for hotels in AAA is up to date from 1991!!!! .. oh and I found all kinds of computer disks.. lots of software.. when I read the label on one that said "runs on the NEW windows 95!!" I realized alot of this stuff has to go..

now granted I *AM* keeping my old original Atari 2600 set that I got as a kid.. 1981 i think? and the 100 games I have for it... believe it or not its an absolute hoot to hook it up at a party and actually be able to BEAT the young guys at video games

-Christopher