Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2022, 09:26 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE 300 man. 2006
Engine: 2006 DT466 with egr
Rated Cap: 20 with 5 handicap
Learning on the bus

Hello, I just registered here today. We are planning on getting a bus and make a cross country trip while we are home schooling our 10 year old.
We see the bus as more as roughing it - camping bus not a fine home. ideally we'd like a 30 foot flat pusher, but may go up to 33 feet or so. Dog nose may be in the mix as well.
In the 1990's, I drove school buses for a large county school system for a year and enjoyed it. I've had several VW buses including a Vanagon camper.
I also lived in Latin America for 3 years and got quite familiar with old school bus travel.
Now I'd like to have my own. I have lots of experience building/fixing various things from cars to electronics to several 120 year old houses. This will be a good project for the whole family with lots of learning opportunities for all!
Looking forward to lots of good advice.

-Chuck

t-chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 07:13 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
Welcome to this fabulous site. Lots of knowledge here, and lots of knowledgeable people who are very happy to answer your questions.
So, first thing to do is to read up on drive trains.
Sounds like you already have a pretty good idea on the purpose (mission) of the bus you seek. Don't settle on the first bus you find unless it checks "all the boxes"
Finally, when you locate your bus, post pics so we can follow along on your journey.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 07:29 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
cross country trip.. dont skimp on the drivetrain.. shorty rear engine byusses are a bit more difficult to find but they are ought there..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:36 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Welcome to the board. As CK said drive train is a big deal. Need atleast lock up trans. Pre emissions is a bonus. Would recommend a southern bus if at all possible to save on rust issues.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote