Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2018, 10:27 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Long wait but finally got my Bus!

Found out how insanely expensive a "moving truck and trailer" are (nearly $4000) for the move I want to make and said screw that. I can buy a truck for that price.

yes. I can but they are sketchy as &$%# most of them or out of my price range then something hit me. a crazy idea. School Bus.

plunked that into craigslist and one of them is a 39ft 2002 bluebird auto 454 chevy v8. $3k

WOW gorgeous conditions. 117k miles nothing if well cared for.

took a long time for harrisburg to convert the title but he finally called me up. my new station wagon was titled. drove 124 miles and drove my new bus home.

not going to make an RV out of it. I am going to make a moving truck out of it. if the universe can see fit to stop dumping on me and I can manage to keep it on the flip side I have an interesting idea for it.

Mobile Maker Space. (I am into 3d printing)

Super excited. Need to find some new tires for the rear (they are retreads) in fantastic condition but in my queries people tell me they are not good for cross country. might gator on such a long trip.

runs fantastically. purrs like a kitten (A big one) and is quite dangerous at speed. it cruised at 70mph like it was nothing but feels like your doing 40mph. I swear the speedo was broken had to take out my phone to confirm speed. 5mph off but WOW. need to watch that. might keep it under 60 if I can for fuel savings (will add up big on a 2100 mile trip)

Going to change all the fluids, it needs it. in general though its in fantastic condition front to back. I was very surprised HOW good a condition its in. even most of the seats are perfectly fine. seems almost sad to scrap them all (just keeping 4)

drove it 124 miles home on the turnpike at 65mph and it did not even hiccup one time. very impressed. 16,000 pounds.

BARELY fits in the driveway covers the sidewalk with its nose.

its going to be an adventure.

is there some good urls to start with?

maintenance? shop manuals? guides? things to do and check lists?

eventually I plan to fully restore all the "bus" lighting. sadly the pop out stop sign and its mechanicals are gone. pity. gonna have to rebuild that. going to replace the stop sign with a "make something" sign. going to put clear covers on the red and yellows and put some programmable RGB panels in their for a really nice effect.

thinking pop up "turret" seat for the escape hatch to mount a telescope on the roof.

this is all blue sky for the future stuff. I have to somehow successfully make it to new mexico with the family and be in a position where I can afford to keep it. fingers crossed.

suggestions on dealing with the insurance company when I call up to insure it tomorrow? any "stay away" words I should avoid? Or just tell it like it is. I am gutting out a bus to move my family titled station wagon by harrisburgh ??

fully loaded. any chance I will get 8mpg out of it? what can I expect? (have to budget fuel etc..)

any issue with me towing 5k behind it? suggestions on hitch to order?

any other suggestions at all?

thanks! more pics to come as I work on it.

Nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:39 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Congrats! We just drove our 'new' bus home as well and am starting the registration/inspection process and then will begin the conversion. Good luck on yours!

Dave
ermracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

What an interesting use for a bus, very innovative to say the least! Once you're done with the move someone else will surely want it for another conversion unless you plan to keep it?? in which case, would you work on an rv conversion once moved?
jacqal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:40 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Rv no. But if i am able financially to keep it i want to make a mobile maker space out of it. 3d printers computers tools soldering stations etc..
Old 10-16-2018, 03:33 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Welcome Nerys!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:26 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

DUDE I did not know you got a bus!! awesome!

my ride is now inspected and insured. $232 a year for liability only. I can live with that only $14 more than the geo tracker.

also found out from another user who works at a shop that fixes these things its a 496 engine with an allison transmission.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys View Post
Found out how insanely expensive a "moving truck and trailer" are (nearly $4000) for the move I want to make and said screw that. I can buy a truck for that price.

yes. I can but they are sketchy as &$%# most of them or out of my price range then something hit me. a crazy idea. School Bus.

plunked that into craigslist and one of them is a 39ft 2002 bluebird auto 454 chevy v8. $3k

WOW gorgeous conditions. 117k miles nothing if well cared for.

took a long time for harrisburg to convert the title but he finally called me up. my new station wagon was titled. drove 124 miles and drove my new bus home.

not going to make an RV out of it. I am going to make a moving truck out of it. if the universe can see fit to stop dumping on me and I can manage to keep it on the flip side I have an interesting idea for it.

Mobile Maker Space. (I am into 3d printing)

Super excited. Need to find some new tires for the rear (they are retreads) in fantastic condition but in my queries people tell me they are not good for cross country. might gator on such a long trip.

runs fantastically. purrs like a kitten (A big one) and is quite dangerous at speed. it cruised at 70mph like it was nothing but feels like your doing 40mph. I swear the speedo was broken had to take out my phone to confirm speed. 5mph off but WOW. need to watch that. might keep it under 60 if I can for fuel savings (will add up big on a 2100 mile trip)

Going to change all the fluids, it needs it. in general though its in fantastic condition front to back. I was very surprised HOW good a condition its in. even most of the seats are perfectly fine. seems almost sad to scrap them all (just keeping 4)

drove it 124 miles home on the turnpike at 65mph and it did not even hiccup one time. very impressed. 16,000 pounds.

BARELY fits in the driveway covers the sidewalk with its nose.

its going to be an adventure.

is there some good urls to start with?

maintenance? shop manuals? guides? things to do and check lists?

eventually I plan to fully restore all the "bus" lighting. sadly the pop out stop sign and its mechanicals are gone. pity. gonna have to rebuild that. going to replace the stop sign with a "make something" sign. going to put clear covers on the red and yellows and put some programmable RGB panels in their for a really nice effect.

thinking pop up "turret" seat for the escape hatch to mount a telescope on the roof.

this is all blue sky for the future stuff. I have to somehow successfully make it to new mexico with the family and be in a position where I can afford to keep it. fingers crossed.

suggestions on dealing with the insurance company when I call up to insure it tomorrow? any "stay away" words I should avoid? Or just tell it like it is. I am gutting out a bus to move my family titled station wagon by harrisburgh ??

fully loaded. any chance I will get 8mpg out of it? what can I expect? (have to budget fuel etc..)

any issue with me towing 5k behind it? suggestions on hitch to order?

any other suggestions at all?

thanks! more pics to come as I work on it.
Congrats! Many of us, like myself, are not much further ahead of you in our build process. Feel free to check out personal pages and ask lots of question. Welcome to the family!
Old 10-16-2018, 07:22 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah just found out mullet man is here from the Geo Metro world that's freaking awesome
Old 10-16-2018, 08:53 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys View Post
Yeah just found out mullet man is here from the Geo Metro world that's freaking awesome
Yes it is! There are actually 3 or 4 members here from Geo Metro Forum. It's a small world after all! Hey man, that 8.1L Vortec gas engine will serve you well. The gas mileage will suck, but it's a reliable, solid engine.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:32 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Unless you got a place to park it, don't fall in love with your bus. Take the seats out, do your move, then sell it.

If you've got a place to park it -- live your dream.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:56 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: B8000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 24
I have a stop sign with all With flashing lights in TN if you want it. Send me an email and we will talk .
reedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:38 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Agreed if it's not practical to keep it sell it

I really hope the gas mileage is better than I think I really really really hope the gas gauge was just inaccurate because if it actually took a half a tank to go hundred and twenty four miles that's only 4.1 miles per gallon which is going to make the trip very expensive

I'm really hoping I can at least squeeze out 8 miles per gallon
Old 10-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Is it legal to have an operational school bus stop sign on your bus?
AndiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:33 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

As best I can tell it's not illegal although it would be illegal to use it on the road for absolute certainty but that's okay I plan to replace the stop sign with a sign that says make something with some RGB LEDs instead of red lights have time to do the same with the Amber's Reds on top put clear housings on them and put some round animated RGB LEDs inside obviously for off-road use only since it would not be legal to use them while driving down the highway

That's all blue sky pipe dreaming of course I have to first successfully move and second managed to keep the bus