Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2015, 07:24 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Looking at the van busses

Hi there almighty bus gods! I am amazed at the mount of info and helpful spirit here. Currently looking for a small bus which I will make into a teeny tiny home to travel the country in. I definitely do not want a big ol bus since it will be just me and my small pooch. But I see many folks re recommending first the van busses. What about the ones that weigh 1 ton and have dual wheel backs?

I was planning on just removing the sets and getting it mechanically checked out, putting in a futon and some camping gear to start with, and using it this summer. I have not bought it yet, but one of the lock school districts has a depot very near where I live, so I plan on checking it out this week.

What about the difference between the small handicap busses and regular ones? Looks like the handicap ones have a lot fewer seats to remove, but then the lift is extra.

Any and all help much appreciated. I am also concerned about registering in NYS. I hear leaving it yellow might be an issue for example.

With gratitude,
Mel

GoMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
IMO

I would not make the mistake of buying a one ton van bus.

Hard to work on, crappy engines, wiring is a nightmare, always overloaded, poor brakes, tires wear out fast, ect.

Short full size chassis buses are far superior in every way. They come as short as the van buses.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMel View Post
Hi there almighty bus gods! I am amazed at the mount of info and helpful spirit here. Currently looking for a small bus which I will make into a teeny tiny home to travel the country in. I definitely do not want a big ol bus since it will be just me and my small pooch. But I see many folks re recommending first the van busses. What about the ones that weigh 1 ton and have dual wheel backs?

I was planning on just removing the sets and getting it mechanically checked out, putting in a futon and some camping gear to start with, and using it this summer. I have not bought it yet, but one of the lock school districts has a depot very near where I live, so I plan on checking it out this week.

What about the difference between the small handicap busses and regular ones? Looks like the handicap ones have a lot fewer seats to remove, but then the lift is extra.

Any and all help much appreciated. I am also concerned about registering in NYS. I hear leaving it yellow might be an issue for example.

With gratitude,
Mel
Handicap buses not only have the lift in the back, but they also have tie down points on the floor, because the wheelchair needs to become a rigid part of the vehicle before going on the road. That tie down rail is a capture point for corrosion, especially if you do live in Upstate NY, where snow melt and rain can get under the rails.

Another suggestion some with make, and I agree with, is move up to a short bus on a truck chassis. It'll be easier to crawl around under, work on, and build in general. Plus the electrical system won't be that much of a nightmare, and you and your pooch will have more space.
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Ya...this discussion has taken place here before and the universal conclusion was the same...don't waste your money on a "van conversion"...get a real bus. The vans are a nightmare to work on, no two alike, horrible electrical, flimsy construction, poor quality throughout.

A shorty on a truck chassis from a major maker will be SO much easier to work on and give back a lot more for many years to come.

Anyone else care to add more?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Wow bummer. I was mostly hoping for a van conversion because it's easy to park on streets with regular parking spots. Hmmm.. Are there any that are easier than others? I'm definitely no mechanic, and will probably leave the electrical and mechanical stuff to my mechanic friend. But that brake and electronic stuff sounds prohibitive. Thank you guys for trying to save me some headaches. Can anyone else be a bit more specific about the ford vs Chevy maybe? I was hoping to run it on bio diesel because a friend makes and sells it.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:16 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
I'd not hesitate to buy a Ford 7.3 van chassis mini.
I want something easy to park that the ole lady can drive without so much drama as the full size school bus.
As to vans being so awful- I know lots LOTS of folks running Ford vans with tons of miles on them. My buddy has almost 200k on a 2006 and another has well over 300k on his 2003. These are both gas engines. I'd imagine the diesels would be even tougher.
For full time living, the van is totally doable as long as its just you. Maybe.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:53 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Oh thank you for that. I was beginning to wilt. Going to look at them tomorrow. Was so psyched until I read all those replies. At least now I will be looking with a sober eye though.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:09 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
if you are planning on running biodiesel, you need to check if the engine and fuel system are rated for it and at what percentage, the engine and injectors will be fine, the fuel lines and such might react with it, many people who started running 100% bio in TDI VW's had to replace every rubber and plastic fuel line as they melted in a chemical reaction with the biodiesel
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:57 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Modern Survivalists : Converting a 7.3L Diesel Engine to Vegetable Oil

The 7.3 Ford Powerstroke, “Made” for WVO. | WVO Designs
Old 05-10-2015, 11:01 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Shuttle buses may not be built like tanks like a school bus-but it may suit your needs.( No matter how many miles you plan on doing a year, it will be way less that whatever the rig had when it was in service.) It drives just like a van and has headroom. Just really really check for rust-lower body panels + wheel arches. Another vote for a Ford with a 7.3 diesel-but alot boils down to what you find-in your time + price range.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:48 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you guys for all this delicious info. The folks who recommended Chevy over ford were saying that the Chevys have less electronics in the fuel process making it easier to convert to biodiesel. Also the friend who makes the stuff said that no conversion is necessary and as long as the engine runs on diesel his biodiesel would work fine. Could there be a difference between veggie oil and biodiesel?
Old 05-11-2015, 05:59 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Yup. Veggie oil is just that-and nothing more. Biodiesel is veggie oil mixed with ethanol and lye. Mixed to be the same consistancy as diesel. Zero conversion needed.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:30 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
I love my cutaway Ford. Easy to get parts and every mechanic shop can work on them if need be. I like the Ford bus although I am a Chevy guy. The chevy's are unibody but the fords are frame on body. My bus is a 1 ton chassis but only SRW (single rear wheel). Plenty heavy duty for my futons ,camping gear and towing a trailer. Plus the cutaway buses are more stealth than a skoolie.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:44 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMel View Post
Thank you guys for all this delicious info. The folks who recommended Chevy over ford were saying that the Chevys have less electronics in the fuel process making it easier to convert to biodiesel. Also the friend who makes the stuff said that no conversion is necessary and as long as the engine runs on diesel his biodiesel would work fine. Could there be a difference between veggie oil and biodiesel?
The chevy's arent built nearly as tough as the Fords. And the parts aren't nearly as common.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:18 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
I love my cutaway Ford. Easy to get parts and every mechanic shop can work on them if need be. I like the Ford bus although I am a Chevy guy. The chevy's are unibody but the fords are frame on body. My bus is a 1 ton chassis but only SRW (single rear wheel). Plenty heavy duty for my futons ,camping gear and towing a trailer. Plus the cutaway buses are more stealth than a skoolie.
I'll second everything Leadsled said.
roach711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:09 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Well there wa one I looked t tody thy is GMC. I'm confused about that. Is that also Chevy? Also anyone else wanna speak to the handicapped vs not idea?
Old 05-11-2015, 09:48 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
GMC and Chevy vans are pretty much the same vehicle with different markings.

Some people want the wheelchair door & lift for loading toys and equipment and some would be quite happy with no door/lift. Getting rid of a wheelchair lift is a pain since almost no one wants them and they weigh a lot.
roach711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:55 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

GMC-Chevy-exact same thing.
If maybe you're going to be loading something heavy continually*, I'd look for one/ leave it. Otherwise I see it as taking up valuable floor space-which you'll see runs out real quick.

* I met a woman the next town over with a shorty-she sews leather jackets + patches. Every winter she loads her bike and sewing machine in the back-using her handicap lift-and heads to Daytona. It works for her.
YOU are the best one tell if its needed or not.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:06 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Oh what a great idea!!! Let me give this some thought. Some folks said that the treads or tracks in the floor could be a problem in terms of places for water to seep in. But they do have most of the seats already removed. So that is the positive thing.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:10 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

So it seems that the ones that are Ford are twice the price. I'll be looking at them again today. Worth paying double for a 7.3 as opposed to a 6.0 Chevy? It might be newer too. Not yet sure about the mileage.