Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2023, 03:31 AM   #1

Looking for bus

Hi my name is Andy
I am from the UK and looking to buy and import a school bus to convert into a camper
Any help would be most appreciated

Andy h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 04:43 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 29600
what size and engine transmission are you looking for?
PoppaSmurff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 04:55 PM   #3

Hi looking for either 30ft or 38 ft bluebird cummings auto
But if price is right
Andy h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:48 PM   #4
Bus Nut

You mean you live in the UK, with all those lovely double decker buses that have a built-in second story deck, and you want one of OUR buses? I'd just get a double decker there and go hog wild with it. Buying a UK bus also means being able to get parts and repairs locally without having to import parts. I imagine getting a US bus tagged over there would be a challenge as well.

Don't get me wrong, get what you want, but from my perspective you'd be ording a salad in a steak house by importing a US school bus with those double deckers.
Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 09:04 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Not to rain on your parade but I'd venture to guess the red tape involved to import a US diesel school bus into the UK would overwhelm your plan and budget. The emissions issues alone will probably prohibit this endeavor. There have been a couple of past posts with attempts or proposals to do this but most seem to have hit a wall with the bureaucratic hurdles. The last time I recall anyone actually having a US style bus in the UK or EU they somehow managed to obtain it from the US military surplus which meant the vehicle was already 'domesticated' but even then I have no idea whether a private individual owner will get the same deference to local regulations as a military ally. Heck, even in the USA the military isn't subject to the same emissions regs as the civilian population although they occasionally tout they environmental awareness with some prototype electric battle tank or whatnot as a publicity stunt. So I'm willing to bet that when an ally nation permits a US military base on their soil they have to give a little leeway for the Americans to do things their way but that concession usually doesn't extend beyond the base. That's probably how a US style school bus would land overseas but never leave the base so never be subject to the local licensing and emissions regulation. As soon as a private citizen buys it though, I shutter to think the amount of angst from local regulations, spare parts, etc that will plague the owner until the end of time. PERHAPS some local legislator might share your bus passion and award some sort of novelty vehicle registration that would preempt much of this but now you're playing politics which isn't cheap either.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote