Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 02:18 AM   #1

Looking for knowledge

Hello all.

I haven't got a schoolie or started a project yet. Found this forum in my research for info to get it started. I have several buddies (3) that are bus garage mechanics at diff shops. 2 have already built schoolies, but nothing fancy. And they are gonna help. I have to get a handicap bus because my good friend that will be using/sharing the bus with me is in a electric wheelchair. So trying to find as much info as we can

02 Silversmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:26 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Read like a madman, use the search function, and ask questions! Good folks here - and they possess a wealth of knowledge.

But try to see what you can find out first, to avoid disrespecting people: many questions have already been discussed at length already. Often it is right at your fingertips! And doing your homework first shows good faith and is impressive to the gang here.

But to get you started, answer these questions. Others will add to this list, I'm sure. Once you have these answers, you'll often see your way clearly - or others can guide you.
  • What do you want to do with your bus? Tailgating only? Full-time living?
  • Where do you want to go with your bus? All across the country? Local only?
  • Will you aim for RV parks and friends with extension cords? Or will you be boondocking (totally self-contained)?
  • What sort of terrain will you be expecting? Requirements for flat land are different than those for mountains. And rough, rutted and rocky back roads suggest a different type of bus than paved roads.
  • How fast do you drive? Speed demons need a bigger engine - as do those who want to do 70.
  • How much time do you want to spend in your bus? Full-time living in it? Two weeks a year? A weekend a month?
  • What climate will you be in? Arizona has different needs than Alaska.
  • How many people will you be hosting? Of those, how many are small kids? Big kids? Adults?
  • Any special needs folks involved? You've already said that a handicap lift is important: that sort of information is crucial.
  • How good are you at construction? Framing? Finish? Electrical? Plumbing?
  • How good are you at fixing cars? Diesels?
  • How much money do you have to spend for the bus? For the conversion?Where do you live? (fill out your profile so folks with local sources will know where 'local' is for you)
  • How far can you travel to check out a bus? To pick up a bus?
  • How soon do you need a working conversion?

These should get you started...

Glad you're here!
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:31 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 Silversmoker View Post
Hello all.

I haven't got a schoolie or started a project yet. Found this forum in my research for info to get it started. I have several buddies (3) that are bus garage mechanics at diff shops. 2 have already built schoolies, but nothing fancy. And they are gonna help. I have to get a handicap bus because my good friend that will be using/sharing the bus with me is in a electric wheelchair. So trying to find as much info as we can

Sounds like you have some great resources allready. My question is where are you going to park it and work on it?
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote