Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2020, 01:30 PM   #1

Looking to Buy a short bus with used vegetable oil fueling capabilities

Hello! I am looking for a short bus (7 windows or less) that can burn used vegetable oil that I can get donated. I'd like to spend less than $5k on the bus itself before conversions. I'm looking on craigslist, I'm looking on auction sites, looking looking looking, but when I think about how I want to use vegetable oil as fuel... What are things I need to take into consideration on that front? Do I need a certain type of Diesel engine? Do I need to do something to the engine to make it able to burn used vegetable oil? Does it need to be a bus manufactured after 2006, or something? I'm sure theres a smarty-pants on here somewhere who's been through all this the hard way... what would you tell your younger self?

Thank you!

bananafanafofantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:53 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Should be easy to find. Seen several projects like this started, have never seen one completed. The novelty is wearing off now that the used oil places have found their product is "valuable" and no longer give it away. It's a messy process that in the end, IMHO, saves you nothing, but has all kinds of special needs to make it workable.
My younger self says there's something to these diesel buses.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:15 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
You'd probably end up spending more coin on an alternative fuel conversion project like that.
After the cost of having a heated holding tank made for the bus, frequent filter changes, cleaning holding tank sludge frequently, etc. your ROI has all but vanished.

If it was easy, or saved lots of $$ over diesel, everybody would be doing it.

But good luck to you if you've set your mind on such an undertaking.
Let us know how you make out...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:32 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if you have a good solid source of WVO actually lined up then proceed on.. but the idea of calling up restaraunts along your travel routes and asking them to pump out their WVO. is likely a pipe dream that was made in maybe the 70s 80s and possibly 90s..

many restaraunts have exclusive contracts for having that removed...

so if you dont have a solid comnsistent source for oil then I wouldnt go any further on the Bus / engine side until you have secured a WVO source or sources..

as for engines.. there are a lot of resources online for it.. I do know that several have done conversions with the Ford 7.3 power stroke.. it was built and sold from 94-03 in fords and through 04 (as the T444E in navistar)... there are (were) plenty of busses running that engine.. on the ford side, van cutaways E350 / E450. short busses often had the 7.3..

m sure there are other engines.. I know of people who did it on mercedes and IH diesels. (Bosch Pump)..

the people I now of who did it actually made fuel out of their WVO.. they didnt just filter and pipe WVO directly.. they had mixtures they created.. there were all kinds of sciences about how to mix it up...

-
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:39 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
This 78ft Trimaran circled the world in 60 days running on Biodiesel, but yeah they arranged to have it where they stopped to refuel.
They sell Biodiesel some places, usually just 20%.
https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/biodie...earest?fuel=BD

BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternatives, fuel