Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-25-2018, 12:14 PM   #181
Bus Nut
 
Mountain Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 694
Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
I believe the gwvr means the MAXIMUM weight this vehicle's suspension, drivetrain, and tires can handle, not the actual weight of the bus plus cargo load. If you cut off some of the bus, it can then just carry more cargo weight. The GVWR stays the same.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #182
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: topeka kansas
Posts: 769
Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
There is a process

Yes you can change the gvwr of a truck/bus. From what reading I have done there are federal government procedures to follow for doing so. Most of the time it appears that "derating"happens during the build process of the truck.

From reading, I would be inclined to say that the process is more than most would want to put up with. Things like axles would have to be rated for the derating,
example 2005 ford f450 the rear axle as it is in the truck is rated at 11,000 lbs, but this axle, a spicer S110 is rated by spicer as a 13,000lb axle.

Ford de rates the axle for use in the f450, the same axle in an International Terrastar is a 13,000 lb axle.

same part just different numbers on paper.

I would take a look at swapping, data plate with numbers that match. Illegal - yes - bet it is not the first time this has been done either.

short answer yes, but shorten the bus, get the CDL take some of the springs out, soften the ride, and keep the data plate that came with the bus.

Or get a shorter bus, put the bigger motor in it.. with a data plate for less than 26,000 lbs......

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear. You still have a spot to work on a bus?

best wishes, don't give up, a short bus you are okay with will appear. You might have to go a little farther away to get it. and if you wait, one will show up near you.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:08 AM   #183
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
I believe the gwvr means the MAXIMUM weight this vehicle's suspension, drivetrain, and tires can handle, not the actual weight of the bus plus cargo load. If you cut off some of the bus, it can then just carry more cargo weight. The GVWR stays the same.
Ah. OK, just trying to avoid having to get a CDL lol. Thanks!
rymorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:11 AM   #184
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
Yes you can change the gvwr of a truck/bus. From what reading I have done there are federal government procedures to follow for doing so. Most of the time it appears that "derating"happens during the build process of the truck.

From reading, I would be inclined to say that the process is more than most would want to put up with. Things like axles would have to be rated for the derating,
example 2005 ford f450 the rear axle as it is in the truck is rated at 11,000 lbs, but this axle, a spicer S110 is rated by spicer as a 13,000lb axle.

Ford de rates the axle for use in the f450, the same axle in an International Terrastar is a 13,000 lb axle.

same part just different numbers on paper.

I would take a look at swapping, data plate with numbers that match. Illegal - yes - bet it is not the first time this has been done either.

short answer yes, but shorten the bus, get the CDL take some of the springs out, soften the ride, and keep the data plate that came with the bus.

Or get a shorter bus, put the bigger motor in it.. with a data plate for less than 26,000 lbs......

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear. You still have a spot to work on a bus?

best wishes, don't give up, a short bus you are okay with will appear. You might have to go a little farther away to get it. and if you wait, one will show up near you.

william
Thanks for the ideas! We would love to stay in the law on this as we don't want any complications.

We do still have the location but it may not be available for much longer. We cant keep asking him to wait on us. We look almost everyday and send a lot of emails with a few offers. Either rejected or never heard back.

We will keep trying though, thanks for the support!
rymorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:21 AM   #185
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 67
Found these 3 tonight.

We really like the top one. It says no CDL needed so hopefully under weight and everything. It looks promising, what do you guys think? We sent em all emails.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/c...690654504.html

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/c...685974246.html

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/r...670736510.html
rymorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:02 AM   #186
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,364
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rymorris View Post
Found these 3 tonight.

We really like the top one. It says no CDL needed so hopefully under weight and everything. It looks promising, what do you guys think? We sent em all emails.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/c...690654504.html

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/c...685974246.html

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/r...670736510.html
Don't know where you are to reply specifically to your state, but in most areas once the seating capacity is less than 16 you won't need a CDL. Your state may require one for anything over 26K lbs.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:30 AM   #187
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Don't know where you are to reply specifically to your state, but in most areas once the seating capacity is less than 16 you won't need a CDL. Your state may require one for anything over 26K lbs.
We are in California. When we asked at the DMV they sent us to some other department's website that stated we dont need a CDL for any 2 axle vehicle 26k GVWR and under.
rymorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:50 AM   #188
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,364
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rymorris View Post
We are in California. When we asked at the DMV they sent us to some other department's website that stated we dont need a CDL for any 2 axle vehicle 26k GVWR and under.
delete

There may be an exception to that if the seats are all still in it.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:45 AM   #189
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: topeka kansas
Posts: 769
Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
here's one

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/r...715173623.html

will
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:51 PM   #190
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: topeka kansas
Posts: 769
Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
another , yes I know, please read below

It is in florida and you dont want to drive that far... on the other hand if you watch the videos you can see what you are getting if you purchased it.
It is short. negotiate, could be inexpensive.....http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/th...tml#post293563

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:16 PM   #191
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: topeka kansas
Posts: 769
Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
I think this ticks all your boxes

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/c...708081109.html

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:58 AM   #192
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 171
similar buses

https://www.busbarnoftexas.com/inventory.aspx?newused=u

one of these might work
__________________
BlueFish aka Todd
Seeking a Crown, Thomas, International, Blue Bird bus with DT466, Cummins 8.3, Allison trans, high roof, air brakes, and A/C.
BlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #193
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: topeka kansas
Posts: 769
Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
new news?

how is the search going?

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:11 PM   #194
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 26
I was reading the posts and looking online at a bus for myself. When i came across this guys listing
He must have forty buses getting ready to go on ebay. I live in NY so i dont know if this is a problem for you in cali.
THE FOLLOWING BUSES ARE CONVENTIONAL'S (WITH HOODS) "CALIFORNIA LEGAL":
(3) 1996 INTERNATIONAL/BLUEBIRDS, DT-466, AT545 ALLISON AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION,AIR BRAKES, DRIVER'S AIR RIDE SEAT AND AIR ENTRANCE.
I have no idea what a California legal is
As long as its not stolen its NY o.k.
Mark carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:01 PM   #195
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: topeka kansas
Posts: 769
Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
short bus

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/d...720999335.html

dt466E

transmission 545

This seems to be a pretty short wheel base, ought to turn in pretty tight spots.

five hours drive to check it out.... if you are interested.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:43 PM   #196
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 67
Sorry for the AFK, we didnt receive any new notifications of posts and have been really busy with moving for work. Move will be complete by Nov 1, and we will start looking again.

Thanks!
-Ryan
rymorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:12 PM   #197
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 67
Hey!

We had the last of our things delivered yesterday and are officially done moving.

We stopped looking because we werent sure where we would end up in South Bay. We didnt decide to move till about 2.5 weeks before we had to because our old place decided to raise our rent by almost 10% to $2725 for a one bedroom apartment... Fortunately, we found a place a bit closer to work and to where we can store the bus that is a bit cheaper than our old place. It's not as nice but heh its $325 cheaper! The bay area is really sucking the soul out of me lol.

Thanks for all the help!
-Ryan
rymorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:55 AM   #198
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: topeka kansas
Posts: 769
Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
so, good to hear your doing okay

Still after short bus? or are you willing to do the work to make a long bus, short?

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:10 AM   #199
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: topeka kansas
Posts: 769
Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
short bus tuscon

international 3700, already painted white, there are no lifts to undo, no school bus lights to undo, I think an offer a little lower will buy it. needs to checked out.
https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/...735513028.html

If the transmission bugs you, I say buy the bus, then the transmission can be replaced later on after you have a conversion up and running.

the 3700 is supposed to be a lighter duty than the 3800, but due to lack of sales, international dropped it from the bus line up.

big honkin short bus.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:40 AM   #200
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: topeka kansas
Posts: 769
Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
pricey,can you negotiate down?

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/f...742340013.html
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
california, getting started, new bus, newbies, short bus conversion

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×