Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2018, 10:11 PM   #101
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Spray in bed liner removal is a major job to accomplish. Quick search showed Aircraft Stripper to be the best product to use. Hazardous stuff in enclosed areas. Normal process for faded or chipped liner is to add another coat, but that's not what you want.

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:18 PM   #102
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Spray in bed liner removal is a major job to accomplish. Quick search showed Aircraft Stripper to be the best product to use. Hazardous stuff in enclosed areas. Normal process for faded or chipped liner is to add another coat, but that's not what you want.
Ya, I was just reading about that. Looks like a hell of a job.

That is a big negative for this as they painted the outside of the bus with it as well and we want to remove it from there. Seems like some of the prep work they did may be negated by us undoing some of it.

Something to consider.
rymorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:21 PM   #103
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymorris View Post
Ya, I was just reading about that. Looks like a hell of a job.

That is a big negative for this as they painted the outside of the bus with it as well and we want to remove it from there. Seems like some of the prep work they did may be negated by us undoing some of it.

Something to consider.
I didn't see any on the outside in the pics of the exterior of the bus
Old 08-26-2018, 10:34 PM   #104
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I didn't see any on the outside in the pics of the exterior of the bus
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/rvs...676668032.html

All the black paint on the bus is this stuff. It's all around the sides on the bottom, the windows and some accent spots.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:40 PM   #105
Bus Geek

Quote:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/rvs...676668032.html

All the black paint on the bus is this stuff. It's all around the sides on the bottom, the windows and some accent spots.
Ya, those pics weren't in the Google link you posted. If it were me and I didn't want that stuff on there, I'd be looking for another bus. Price is at least double what's worth in my mind, and less with the nightmare job ahead of you. If they covered all the rust holes on both sides without a proper prep before hand, you could be in a world of hurt soon. The rust in the corner where the liner meets is pretty rusty for something that should have been rust converted before the liner went in.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:46 PM   #106
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
could you .....

So I dont think the engine trans combination has the reputation of being done at 200,000 miles. for this size of bus many worse options, not many if any better.

the auto chains, broken-- so leave it for now,,, but does not add any value

that big heater has problems? then does not add value--

I did not see any kind oil slime on the under side pictures that scream " abandon ship! or even "oh hell" seem completely normal for a truck of this age and mileage.

so the bed liner stuff..... why not paint over it and pretend it is not there. on the exterior. The inside,,,, just work up the bed liner around areas you suspect are rusty... dont do the whole floor. find a body shop/ or a place that does high end car restorations pay them to inspect for rust. then you will have an expert opinion cost a few dollars but might give you peace of mind and let you just bypass areas that check clean.

trying not to add to the muddle -- william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:09 PM   #107
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Ya, those pics weren't in the Google link you posted. If it were me and I didn't want that stuff on there, I'd be looking for another bus. Price is at least double what's worth in my mind, and less with the nightmare job ahead of you. If they covered all the rust holes on both sides without a proper prep before hand, you could be in a world of hurt soon. The rust in the corner where the liner meets is pretty rusty for something that should have been rust converted before the liner went in.
Ya we didnt take exterior pics because they are in the craigs link we posted before so didnt think to post the link again. That's my fault.

To Williams, comment -

On the outside, we had a design in mind that the texture of this stuff would ruin. Not a deal breaker but it sucks that it is so hard to remove cause we would have to go around it.

Our big worry is rust. From what I read, a lot of buses that come from cooler climates have rust issues and there is rust in the corners where we dont see the liner and in other areas of this bus so I am not sure what it looks like under the liner.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:10 PM   #108
Mini-Skoolie

They sent us a picture of it before it was converted and the plate on the tranny that has the serial numbers. Added those to the photos album.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...xrSlBXajIxLTNB

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...xrSlBXajIxLTNB
Old 08-26-2018, 11:35 PM   #109
Bus Crazy

so, there is always another deal....

I cant count the number of times I bought something and then--- poof --- a better deal shows up, or another deal.

maybe offer low enough to make it worth the hassle, or maybe the hassle is not worth it.

then walk away..... and keep an eye out.

william
Old 08-26-2018, 11:58 PM   #110
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
I cant count the number of times I bought something and then--- poof --- a better deal shows up, or another deal.

maybe offer low enough to make it worth the hassle, or maybe the hassle is not worth it.

then walk away..... and keep an eye out.

william
Sound advice.

This still looks like a good bus but we dont want to do this again. We get a lot of advice saying there are good starter buses/projects but we dont want a starter bus, we want one bus that we make ours.

But we DO need to pull the trigger soonish. Need to get a bus by the first week of September or we may lose the space we found to rent for it then we are SOL.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:54 AM   #111
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Thanks for the replies!

We feel OK about it. We are a bit leery about some of the oil stains on the bottom of the bus cause they could mean more leaks and the power steering leak.

We are a bit worried about the floor. We are thinking about using radiant flooring and really want a solid floor. Since they already covered it, even if we get the stuff off I am not sure if we could spot issues well.

Some of the add ons like the heater, tire chains are cool. But they all need some work and I am not sure how to best use them. Will research more.

7000 is a bit high for a bus that needs some work but they said they arent firm. However, a lot of stuff was prepped already and it IS registered and titled as an RV which would save us time and head aches.

Overall, we think it is a strong contender. What about the engine/tranny combo? Is that a good setup? He said it was a really good engine.

Also, are 13,949 hours and 186582 miles high?
Thats a lot of hours for the asking price.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:42 AM   #112
Mini-Skoolie

They also sent us a photo of the floor before it was covered with Herculiner. Some rust is visible.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QgUcsjLvUvpPsRnh7
aileendc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:50 AM   #113
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Hours idling in a cold climate is to be expected. That doesn't really hurt anything and can be seen from a lack of leaks beneath the bus. When the engine maintains an even temperature, all the bolts and gaskets hold better than many hot and cold cycles. These have precision mating surfaces so running that many hours has been a good thing in this case.
I wouldn't balk at that at all. Miles aren't too bad either considering its life in the north country.

John
Old 08-28-2018, 10:42 AM   #114
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileendc88 View Post
They also sent us a photo of the floor before it was covered with Herculiner. Some rust is visible.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QgUcsjLvUvpPsRnh7

Your floor looks better than probably 99.5% of buses out there. That is literally the least amount of rust I've ever seen on a bus. Looks like they handled the floor prep properly. I would have no concerns.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:45 PM   #115
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Right!! Good god that's clean rust free metal. I live in the rust belt of Ohio and see brand new vehicles with that amount of rust. Jealous......
Quote:
Your floor looks better than probably 99.5% of buses out there. That is literally the least amount of rust I've ever seen on a bus. Looks like they handled the floor prep properly. I would have no concerns.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:22 PM   #116
Bus Crazy

need to know more but....

https://slo.craigslist.org/cto/d/198...667491764.html

william
Old 08-28-2018, 07:25 PM   #117
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Cool!! That is good to hear.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:28 PM   #118
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Hours idling in a cold climate is to be expected. That doesn't really hurt anything and can be seen from a lack of leaks beneath the bus. When the engine maintains an even temperature, all the bolts and gaskets hold better than many hot and cold cycles. These have precision mating surfaces so running that many hours has been a good thing in this case.
I wouldn't balk at that at all. Miles aren't too bad either considering its life in the north country.

John
That's a good point. I did find some stats on that engine that state the average time to a re-build is ~300 k miles meaning we are close.

https://www.justanswer.com/medium-an...terpillar.html

Is that accurate?
Old 08-28-2018, 07:32 PM   #119
Mini-Skoolie

We think $7500 is too much for this bus as there are several things that need fixing and we would need to undue some things they did that we dont like.

For this bus what would be a fair value? We don't want to rip them off but dont want to over pay either.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:51 PM   #120
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
That's a good point. I did find some stats on that engine that state the average time to a re-build is ~300 k miles meaning we are close.

https://www.justanswer.com/medium-an...terpillar.html

Is that accurate?

No clue how accurate that statement is really, some will go that and some won't. Depends on each individual bus' circumstances. Stay with Cat parts, filters and it will keep going likely. If it ain't broke dn't fix it they say so if it runs smooth and shifts smooth then take a chance. I know you don't like the paint or bedguard stuff. That is not the end of the world in changing that to your liking.

As far as what else may be wrong, the chains for example, call and get an estimate from the mfg or shop of your choice.

Looking at the power steering, I would say the leak is from the hose clamp just above the pump. I check clamps at least once a month on any and every vehicle I own. Peace of mind is worth a lot to me. I sure would feel like an idiot if I lost a rad hose because I was too lazy to check them.
Diesel buses are not cars so maintenance is something you had better do on any bus or they will give you heaps of trouble. Unless your pockets are deep, count on doing the maintenance thing, a few minutes can save thousands of dollars and heartache.

Offer 4 g's and work with him. All he can do is say no. But then you find out how motivated he is to sell.

John

Tags
california, getting started, new bus, newbies, short bus conversion