Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2020, 08:33 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Midbus
Chassis: Chevy Express G3500
Engine: 6.0 V8
Rated Cap: 12+2WC
Lurker saying hi

QHi, I’m Kate. My husband and I bought a short bus in December, spent more money than we should have on mechanical repairs, two weeks building like mad, and then moved out of our apartment just in time for the zombie apocalypse to shut down home improvement stores. Now we’re out in the desert hiding from the pandemic and slowly refining the inside. At least it’s something to keep us busy. Thought I’d say hi and introduce myself finally. There’s an album of the build on my profile. Not sure how to link that here.

LoveandRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:08 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Howdy Kate (and hubby)!

Here in Texas, the Home Improvement stores are considered "essential services". Maybe a farm and tractor supply store is open for y'all? Amazon? LOL

You may be able to search the internet for home improvement stores in the area that are open. In the meantime, those little projects add up and never seem to get the qualty time they need. Now is a great time to address them. Hmmm, perhaps I need to heed my own advice?
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:06 PM   #3
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Howdy Kate (and hubby)!

Here in Texas, the Home Improvement stores are considered "essential services". Maybe a farm and tractor supply store is open for y'all? Amazon? LOL
Ok, you caught me being dramatic. As far as I know those stores are open here in Arizona, too. However, Hubs and I both have underlying conditions that put us at increased risk of severe outcomes so we’re practicing extreme social distancing. Thankfully, we have everything we need to complete several ongoing projects.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:00 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Welcome to the forum. I thought I was smart and made a list for home Depot that would last me a month of work. Got everything last week.

Been back to home Depot twice already because I add wrong and forget things! It's like rolling a die every time I go in there. Hopefully I'm done for a while.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:01 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSquared View Post
Welcome to the forum. I thought I was smart and made a list for home Depot that would last me a month of work. Got everything last week.

Been back to home Depot twice already because I add wrong and forget things! It's like rolling a die every time I go in there. Hopefully I'm done for a while.
Around here, it is almost cause for a celebration if I can do a one & done at Home Depo. There always seems to be something forgotten or changed.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:55 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Around here, it is almost cause for a celebration if I can do a one & done at Home Depo. There always seems to be something forgotten or changed.
There's a Lowe's on the way between my house and my bus and I'd gotten in the habit of stopping there at least once a day, so forgetting things wasn't fatal. There's also a small Ace Hardware about 500 feet from my bus which is handy. I'm not going in either until they start doing curbside pickup, though.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
sometimes the small little things you think you forgot are laying in your scrap pile?
proper PPE and some tools are not negotiable but a shim out of anything or a screw dropped that you forgot to pick is a time and money saver
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 03:12 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
sometimes the small little things you think you forgot are laying in your scrap pile?
proper PPE and some tools are not negotiable but a shim out of anything or a screw dropped that you forgot to pick is a time and money saver
Unless I am in a time-crunch, I will search through my ready supply of picked up, found, recovered bits and pieces. Of course on projects I KNOW I will need to buy nuts and bolts, I do not do the search first.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:25 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
Quote:
Unless I am in a time-crunch, I will search through my ready supply of picked up, found, recovered bits and pieces. Of course on projects I KNOW I will need to buy nuts and bolts, I do not do the search first.
My biggest project setback in Ohio is the "triage of moving stuff" when I moved from CO last year... I only moved the quality "scrap" like ss sheet metal and angle iron...

I have to remember anything I'm missing that I know I used to own is cheaper to get new than to have rented a bigger truck to move with...

But damn, I do miss my bin of "mixed hardware"!

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 04:18 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
My biggest project setback in Ohio is the "triage of moving stuff" when I moved from CO last year... I only moved the quality "scrap" like ss sheet metal and angle iron...

I have to remember anything I'm missing that I know I used to own is cheaper to get new than to have rented a bigger truck to move with...

But damn, I do miss my bin of "mixed hardware"!
Except now you have to remember if you still have it or not. I may not always be able to find it, but I know if I have it.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:25 AM   #11
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Girardian Handicapped Commercial
Chassis: E-450
Engine: Ford 7.3L
Rated Cap: 9,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveandRage View Post
Ok, you caught me being dramatic. As far as I know those stores are open here in Arizona, too. However, Hubs and I both have underlying conditions that put us at increased risk of severe outcomes so we’re practicing extreme social distancing. Thankfully, we have everything we need to complete several ongoing projects.
Looking forward to following along. I have the same placement of handicap doors and am stumped how to best fit everything I want.
mc11237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:15 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Damn you guys have been busy! Welcome to the Skoolie world. As a long-time lurker myself (and now turned Skoolie owner), I made a build thread to support other lurkers out there who don't have accounts. You should definitely do the same! Plus what else are you going to do in these next few weeks?
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:29 AM   #13
Almost There

Ok, sorry for the hit and run. Internet was spotty on the road and 2020 was crazy, no?

So we’re finally tearing down and rebuilding the bus proper like and I’ve started a build thread you can find here:

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/t...eux-35142.html
Old 03-08-2021, 04:58 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
sorry
i didnt see this first?
i just responded to your registry thread and if you didnt see another thread that is still up about OBD 2 code problems then i just listed about bunch of the codes and what they mean.
i have a 2004 i am building for my wife and have the service manual that covers 98-2010 models.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote