Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2020, 08:19 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3L ISC - 315HP
Rated Cap: Lots of kids.
Maiden voyage .. complete!

Hey everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself. I have been lurking on this forum for a few months researching busses. Yesterday I completed my maiden voyage and it seemed to go really well. I live in Ohio and picked up the bus in Utah last Thursday. We left Utah Friday and finished our transit Sunday. I got a 96-hour transit permit which cost me a whopping $2.50 to get home. I contacted Kelly Newsome (Allstate insurance) in Florida and she hooked me up with a local insurance agent. I highly recommend contacting her to work with an agent in your home state. It took less than an hour to get insurance, and I’m paying about $60 a month.

The bus I picked up is a 40ft 2003 Bluebird All American, with a rear engine Cummins 8.3L ISC (315 HP version) and a MD3066R. It’s the 77 inch roof model with a couple underbody storage compartments too. It ticked off all the things I wanted in a bus other than engine driven air conditioning, but I plan on adding that later. I got it for $3,500 from a relatively small school district. Although it was from Northern Utah, with the school district being small they took really good care of the small fleet they had. Very minimal rust, but a couple patches here and there. The worst bits of rust are on the stairs and on the rear engine flap. We’ll see how it looks after I tear the old floor out, but overall I’m pretty surprised with how clean it is for being a 17 year old bus from northern Utah.

I bought the bus sight unseen (huge gamble on my part), but did call and talk to the driver who was responsible for that specific bus, and she assured me it was a very capable bus – She was right. This thing can handle hills like a champ and runs as smooth as butter. I am super paranoid about the CAPS systems in the ISC engines so I didn’t let the fuel tank get below halfway, to give it all the help possible drawing fuel under vacuum. I don’t know if it worked or not, but it at least made me feel better about driving it home. I plan on eventually replacing the stock lift pump with a constant positive pressure fuel pump. There are a few guys in some RV groups who have done this with good results. There were a couple small hiccups along the way, but for the most part everything went great. One issue I had initially was keeping the bus cool during transits on hot days. To remedy this I just opened all the windows and cranked up all the bus heaters to help pull heat away. Doing this kept coolant temps 185-195 degrees. Another issue was the fan for my oil cooler didn’t work, so I would occasionally have to pull over or slow down to 55MPH to cool down the hydraulic oil which runs power steering and the engine fan. Definitely one of my top priorities is going to be working on the cooling system(s).

Some of the things I loved the most were the integrated retarder in the MD3066R and the cruise control system. It made my ~1600 mile ride home so freaking easy. Another thing that helped was somehow, some way, 6th gear was already unlocked on the bus.

This allowed me to keep my cruising RPMs around 1800-1900, even with shorter gearing ( 5.38 ). I didn’t think these busses came with 6th gear unlocked, especially not Bluebird. I’m thinking it came like that from the factory because the transmission serial on Bluebird’s vantage portal is the same transmission serial that is on the bus. Is this common?? I let the bus hit 70MPH once to see if it could. It definitely could get up to 70 MPH relatively easily, but I mostly cruised around the 60-65 MPH range

I’m super pumped to introduce myself to all of you, and learn more about the skoolie life!

Take care,
Richard

Honeydipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:43 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Nice bus. I'm not surprised they opened 6th on that year and build configuration, lucky you. I have a DT466E/3060, only 5 speed, but can do 85 in cruise control in 5th, with a 4.78.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:08 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 60
Nice rig. I didn't want to be quite that long on our rig or I would have been looking for about that exact bus.
tlzimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:59 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
That is a very nicely equipped bus. Score!

Let us know what you decide to do on the lift pump. I will be addressing that soon as well.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:03 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3L ISC - 315HP
Rated Cap: Lots of kids.
Thanks everyone!

01marc - That's awesome! Once I feel a little more confident in the bus I may push it harder to see if I can get up to that speed, but for now I'm pretty content. Would you suggest trying to swap my 5.38 for a taller gear eventually? That was my original game plan, but the bus already has 6th gear so I'm thinking about maybe holding off on that. Still kinda undecided I guess.

tlzimmerman - Thanks! When I first saw it my original thought was "did I just bite off more than I can chew" but I'm getting the hang of driving it around and I think I'll be happy with the size once I start construction.

PNW_Steve - I'll definitely keep everyone posted when I go that route. I have a bit of planning and more research to do, but it will be something I want to do right off the get go.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads right now, because I'm trying to decide if I want to start demolition and construction or start working on the engine and misc. mechanical work. The bus ran really well, but it is also a 17 year bus with 275k miles. I think I'm leaning towards building a strong foundation for the bus by getting it in the best shape possible mechanically, before starting to build my living quarters. I'm not in any rush to finish the bus, so I can take my time researching and building it right. What is everyone's thoughts on this?

Thanks again guys! Looking forward to being a part of this great community.
Honeydipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
I have a very similiar bus to yours, except mine is a 2001. The 315 hp variant is REALLY nice to have. The high roof option is well worth the extra effort to find especially if you aren't doing a roof raise.

I have 4.78 gears and my MD3060 appears to have had 6th unlocked for its entire service life. It was originally a Wyoming spec bus.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:38 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: CAT 3126E210
Rated Cap: 33,050 pounds
You got a great bus for a great price! I'm envious.

I can't wait to see your build thread and see what you can do with such a wonderful start.

Welcome to the madness!
Old 08-25-2020, 09:31 AM   #8
Skoolie

Yes go through the engine first.....make it to where you would feel good driving it anywhere. Fluids hoses belts tires etc. Then tear into the rest. If it was fleet maintained hopefully the drivetrain won't need much.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:35 AM   #9
Skoolie

An intermittent transmission cooler fan is probably a faulty connection or ground.

Overheating start with making sure the radiator is clean as a whistle. Then I'd check the fan clutch works right. That is something that may need replaced. If she is climbing temp you should really be able to hear that fan screaming.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:53 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
I can't see the pics on my government computer, but from the description it sounds like you got a great deal! Can't wait to see what you get done with it.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote