Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2018, 11:09 PM   #1

Making a change?

Hey everyone,

My wife and I have been full time rvers for a year now and looking to make a switch to a skoolie. Being that we have no "real" home, we are on the fence. The appeal is obvious and our current RV being an entry level Class A Diesel is still a POS in my opinion. We have had problem after problem and the quality is garbage (I knew that going into it). I should of started with a skoolie but I'm not very patient at times (working on that).

My basic idea is a 40ft bus, converting the back to a garage and building out from there. We like the rustic cabin look with some modern touches, i.e. washer/dryer, 1 retracting TV, house fridge, solar power, plenty of battery capacity, composting toilet, 100 gallon water tank and a deck to start. Theres a little more too.

I look forward to all the advice and help on here. Attached is a photo of our current set-up. Its going to be interesting if we can overcome the challenges but your guidance is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9624.JPG  

FullTime_ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:15 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Howdy and welcome Ralph?? Not sure what to call you...

I started full-timing in a Newmar Dutch Star (DS) and now have an MCI coach that I have/am converting (details here). So, I kinda get your thinking. I loved pretty much everything about the DS except for the fact that it was "done" and significant change (larger water tank, for example) was basically impossible. This is good for most but left me with too much time on my hands. I decided to build something that matched what I really wanted. From your photo, I'm guessing that one of your biggest issues is weight - or the lack of CCC.

I would imagine the requirements for "comfort" varies for everyone. That said, I was able to the essential systems in my coach fairly quickly and then began living in it. That took about four months during which I was staying with some family. Having a single utility sink for everything (dishes, bath, shower, etc.), bed on the floor, everything in storage bins on the floor, etc. were all huge nuisances that served to 'encourage' me to keep working. At about the seven or eight month mark, living became pretty comfortable and the conversion work slowed dramatically - I needed a break.

Having lived in a motorhome, you have the huge advantage of knowing what is needed AND what you want.

My suggestion is to find a place (family/friends property, storage yard, etc. - out in the country or in a sorta "industrial" area would be best) that will let you park your motorhome AND bus project for six months or so. Then live in motorhome and work like crazy on the project.

If you haven't driven a bus yet, I'd suggest you give a few a try. You may find them to be far from the ease and comfort of your MH (at least in terms of driving, ride quality, and such).
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:24 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Welcome to the site and good luck!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome folks. I only can say go for it. Live in your rv while building the bus out. I did mine rustic as boondocking is my thing but wanted a hwy cruiser at the same time as well as normal 2 lane off the beaten track ventures.

Build it for 4 seasons and you'll never regret your decision.

Lots of ideas and knowledge here so keep on reading.

Hope you find a great bus,

John
Old 07-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
+1 on go drive some school busses first.. and maybe even a coach if the budget is there)..

having driven Motorhomes / School busses / and coach busses on substantial trips (ie 1000+ mile road trips at 500+ per day)... i can tell you that school busses dont have near the ride quality that a coach does... the biggest issue with the Class A motorhome driveability (im not talking build quality just drive).. was the small wheels compared to the vehicle size and weight.. sure the class A was quiet with a cushy seat and dashboard Air-conditioning but in the mountainess areas with wind.. not a fun drive..

I drove a convereted coach for years basically ferrying it for friends who snowbirded in florida each year.. and occasionally on a couple other trips.. that was one of the 3/4 million dollar coaches.. so it drove, rode, and was built fantastic.. with a huge price tag.. $$$ driveability was great with air-ride all the way around .. large enough tires and engine to handle any hill.. and much more resilient to wind..

a regular unconverted fully-seated coach had much the same driveability.. much less price tag to buy and convert obviously than a Glamper conversion..

school busses - the big draw to school busses is most generally they can be had CHEAP in comparison to Class A's and unconverted coaches.. they are SOLID platforms on which to build, driveability? well they tend to be a bit rough riding, noisy (unless you get rear engine).. and missing some of the take-for-granteds like dashboard A/C, rear cameras, and cushy seats.. all things that can be added / modified.. but something to think about..

ceiling height - the tallest interior heioght ive seen on a factory school bus is 6'6", so once you insulate ceiling and floor ..add A/C units, etc that may be less total.. raising the roof is definitely not out of the question, many do it succesfully, but definitely adds to the effort of the project..

for the money school busses are a great value.. and you end up with the configuration you want with a solid vehicle. because there are so many school busses built, mechanical parts generally arent a problem to obtain.. school busses are built on medium duty truck chassis.. CE style (has a hood) were often produced on Box-Truclk chassis

for a toy-hauler with a garage a school bus is the way to go.. a front engine..

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:03 AM   #6

Haha, I knew I'd forget something! We are Josh & Edina. Thanks for all the input. Funny thing, if we were going to stay in the RV world, we want a Newmar.

I'll be looking over everything you have on Missy. I thought about a used coach but don't want to be 45' long. Slightly smaller is our goal. When we are all connected, we are 65' long. Also, we boondock a lot but we enjoy cities too. Seems RV parks don't like skoolies. Everything has to come with a price damn it. lol

Do you know where we can test drive a bus? Thanks again JD!

Josh
Old 07-19-2018, 11:16 AM   #7

Thanks for the input Chris! You touch on a few things we've been looking at. I haven't looked at a RE Bus but does the engine completely rule out a garage? Seems to be the case since I haven't seen anyone do it.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullTime_ADV View Post
Thanks for the input Chris! You touch on a few things we've been looking at. I haven't looked at a RE Bus but does the engine completely rule out a garage? Seems to be the case since I haven't seen anyone do it.
There's a 2' hump concealing the engine in the back and a big filter housing, with no rear door. Makes for a poor choice if you want a garage.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:01 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
There's a 2' hump concealing the engine in the back and a big filter housing, with no rear door. Makes for a poor choice if you want a garage.

**THIS**

in a school bus the engine compartment protudes above the floor level. so any kind of Ramp , tall rolling door, etc is tough.. plus its not just height, you loose floor space too.. many people with RE busses end up putting their bed above that space..

the disadvantage ive found to FE busses is Noise and heat.. and to some extent space.. theres a large doghouse in a flat-nose FE bus. I have 2 conventionals. and even with those engine heat in summer and diesel noise are very present.. for me i dont mind as I personally like the 'Big-Riggin' sound and feel.. the heat i can do without.. ive installed custom A/C to handle it.. (very few school busses have dashboard mounted A/C..) if the bus is A/C'd its usually units hanging down or ducted above the windows which many people find to be obstacles in their conversions..

for a garage on an RE you would almost have to cut a large side door if you are simply looking at it for tools, bikes, gear.. but that wont work if its for say a classic car...

-Christopher
Old 07-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Josh!! Howdy!

Quote:
Slightly smaller is our goal. When we are all connected, we are 65' long. Also, we boondock a lot but we enjoy cities too.
Understand. Long does cause some issues. Sometimes difficult to find just the right compromises.

Quote:
Do you know where we can test drive a bus?
I'm guessing... the folks right here might be the best option. I wonder if a church bus might be an option?? Maybe try asking a driver at a school bus yard? I can imagine an actual school bus ride is impossible with all the crazy rules and fears. I know a lot of rafting companies haul people in old school buses, maybe some camp type outfits too?? If nothing else, maybe find some that are for sale and take a test drive - even if not really interested in purchasing.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #11
Bus Geek

bus dealer... just like a car dealer you can drive one and dont have to buy it.. there are various used bus dealers throughout the country..

-Christopher
Old 07-19-2018, 03:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
**THIS**

in a school bus the engine compartment protudes above the floor level. so any kind of Ramp , tall rolling door, etc is tough.. plus its not just height, you loose floor space too.. many people with RE busses end up putting their bed above that space..

the disadvantage ive found to FE busses is Noise and heat.. and to some extent space.. theres a large doghouse in a flat-nose FE bus. I have 2 conventionals. and even with those engine heat in summer and diesel noise are very present.. for me i dont mind as I personally like the 'Big-Riggin' sound and feel.. the heat i can do without.. ive installed custom A/C to handle it.. (very few school busses have dashboard mounted A/C..) if the bus is A/C'd its usually units hanging down or ducted above the windows which many people find to be obstacles in their conversions..

for a garage on an RE you would almost have to cut a large side door if you are simply looking at it for tools, bikes, gear.. but that wont work if its for say a classic car...

-Christopher

All I have are tools, motorcycles, bikes and gear. I'll explore it. The other idea we have is maybe a short bus (30'-35') and a big enclosed trailer to haul the truck and bikes. Weight could be a issue though depending on the GVWR.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #13

Quote:
bus dealer... just like a car dealer you can drive one and dont have to buy it.. there are various used bus dealers throughout the country..

-Christopher
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
Josh!! Howdy!

Understand. Long does cause some issues. Sometimes difficult to find just the right compromises.

I'm guessing... the folks right here might be the best option. I wonder if a church bus might be an option?? Maybe try asking a driver at a school bus yard? I can imagine an actual school bus ride is impossible with all the crazy rules and fears. I know a lot of rafting companies haul people in old school buses, maybe some camp type outfits too?? If nothing else, maybe find some that are for sale and take a test drive - even if not really interested in purchasing.

Dealerships seem the easy way to go.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:24 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
All I have are tools, motorcycles, bikes and gear. I'll explore it. The other idea we have is maybe a short bus (30'-35') and a big enclosed trailer to haul the truck and bikes. Weight could be a issue though depending on the GVWR.

my 7 window Carpenter has a 27500 GVWR.. its about a 25-26 foot long bus..

my little 6 window bluebird is only a 17500..

the ones with the full size wheels (10R or 11R. 22.5" WHEELS) seem to have the higher GVWR's. and i see plenty of them around..

a 12 row conventional comes in at about 35-37 feet from what ive seen.. so thats likely 28-30 feet windshield to back door on the inside.. makes your total rig-length a little shorter and definitely more friendly towards building a rear garage..

not sure how heavy your motorcycles are but a wheelchair bus with a rear lift might be an option.. esp one of the longer ones.. those lifts are often 600 or 800 lbs capacity.. obviously not going to work if your bikes are big cruisers but if they are smaller bikes you have a shot..

-Christopher
Old 07-19-2018, 07:07 PM   #15

Quote:
my 7 window Carpenter has a 27500 GVWR.. its about a 25-26 foot long bus..

my little 6 window bluebird is only a 17500..

the ones with the full size wheels (10R or 11R. 22.5" WHEELS) seem to have the higher GVWR's. and i see plenty of them around..

a 12 row conventional comes in at about 35-37 feet from what ive seen.. so thats likely 28-30 feet windshield to back door on the inside.. makes your total rig-length a little shorter and definitely more friendly towards building a rear garage..

not sure how heavy your motorcycles are but a wheelchair bus with a rear lift might be an option.. esp one of the longer ones.. those lifts are often 600 or 800 lbs capacity.. obviously not going to work if your bikes are big cruisers but if they are smaller bikes you have a shot..

-Christopher
Oh great, Thanks for that info! My bike is the heaviest at 576lbs I believe. A 30' interior is probably too small though, once you build the garage.

Can't wait till I get near a city! I'll go do some window shopping.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Dealerships seem the easy way to go.
They may be, they just cost two to three times as much.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:46 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
An enclosed trailer has a much lower loading height then any bus will, and it gets "stuff" out of living space. If I was going to full time it would be what I would do. However then towing a car or truck plus trailer is not legal in many states, and not practical either. So the trailer may need to be big enough for both.

Our bus is 29ft from the dash to the rear inside. 34ft overall outside. It is a conventional.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:52 PM   #18
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
With all the stuff you want to put on it, how are you going to power the stuff?
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:22 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 77 pas
Theres a skoolie owner I saw on a facebook skoolie page that used her emergency door area to build her side garage. Hers was a RE, and they built their bedroom in the back (as most do), had a side hallway to the garage area and kept it going up to the front of the bus. Very innovative design for implementing a garage in a RE bus. Unfortunately, i did not snap a pic of that. BUT...it's been done.
hjorg5 is offline   Reply With Quote