Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2019, 01:58 PM   #1

Thumbs up Making Money on the Road/ Instagramers and YouTubers?

Hey all,

This is my first post on here! We are in the process of purchasing a 40 ft. Thomas Activity Bus and are converting it into a skoolie.

My main question is for those of you who have made this a lifestyle. I work in educational technology and could teach online from the road, but I am wondering how profitable the instagram/youtube life is? So many of you that have youtube channels have helped us with our thinking about skoolie-life and we would love to share our experiences in that way as well.

Those of you that have great channels, any tips? If you don't mind me asking, how profitable are your channels? Tips on monetizing? Or where to even get started?

We want to document our conversion, so I would love any tips to get started!

Thanks,

Holly 🚌💨

hjaxsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:09 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjaxsun View Post
Hey all,

This is my first post on here! We are in the process of purchasing a 40 ft. Thomas Activity Bus and are converting it into a skoolie.

My main question is for those of you who have made this a lifestyle. I work in educational technology and could teach online from the road, but I am wondering how profitable the instagram/youtube life is? So many of you that have youtube channels have helped us with our thinking about skoolie-life and we would love to share our experiences in that way as well.

Those of you that have great channels, any tips? If you don't mind me asking, how profitable are your channels? Tips on monetizing? Or where to even get started?

Thanks,

Holly 🚌💨
YOu have to have a TON of subscribers and views to make any appreciable money off YouTube.
I don't watch many YT vids about bus conversions as they're all virtually the same videos. There are a few exceptions and those still don't have enough views to make any money.
Everyone I know who lives on the road owns a company of some sort, is independently wealthy, or has a job in computers/IT that lets them work remotely.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjaxsun View Post
Hey all,

Thanks,

Holly 🚌💨
I also teach online. The only thing keeping me from heading out is my fear of IT issues while trying to teach. I teach on three different platforms. How reliable is your internet? What are you using? How remote can you be before you can no longer teach?

I see where a lot of people have internet for their businesses, but not one that I have seen teaches. Two-way video, along with other bells and whistles, for hours at a time, is a whole other world.

I'm sorry to highjack your thread. I was just so excited to see someone who also teaches online. I'm hoping for real-life experience advice.

Thanks!
Tryingcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:20 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I worked IT for years. We were always remote to what we were doing; working with desktops, having meetings and working collaboratively on projects. I would work remotely on the road at times, sometimes even watching processes on remote machines while driving down the road. It’s all going to depend on where you are. You may find carrier data maps to give you guidance. You’ll also need reliable power to run your devices.

You could try baby steps first before you go full on.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:16 PM   #5
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
YouTube has a few caveats.

One, the channel must have at least 10,000 views before the channel can be monetized.

Secondly, there is mucho censorship on YouTube as of late, which may not be an issue with a teaching channel, but still...

Thirdly, channels that qualify for monetization are subject to approval. Not usually a problem if content is not an issue.

Fourthly, your monetization payments are a percentage of what YouTube is paid for those lovely little ads that interrupt your video.

Last but not least, views don't count unless the viewer watches at least 30 seconds of the video, and I think now they have to watch the ad.

Not saying it's impossible, it's just that these are things you need to know about the process. I've considered doing the same, with instructional videos of my own. I just happen to have an existing channel with 3M views that was not previously monetized that I still have access to. So it really wouldn't be a problem for me. But that first 10,000 views could be more of a hurdle than you think.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:43 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Rolling Vistas, possibly the most followed and prolific Buslife YouTubers said they were scaling back, partly because they were running out of stuff to say on the subject, partly because it wasn’t lucrative enough.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:02 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Rolling Vistas, possibly the most followed and prolific Buslife YouTubers said they were scaling back, partly because they were running out of stuff to say on the subject, partly because it wasn’t lucrative enough.
They sold their bus, too.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:04 PM   #8

Normally, you can make profit from anything with the condition that you find the niche, study it, reveal the needs and interests and think about the content you can make to attract. Think about pages with pets...and some of them are very profitable. So I would say firstly think about your readers, the content you are going to produce, and then, think about the monetization. What are you going to sell? Advertising other blogs? Selling some info-products? I would advise you to create 10 posts and then buy subscribers on some service like td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}https://famoid.com/buy-instagram-followers/, so that you start the organic conversion of your pages. This is what we do for our clients.
James42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:25 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
my wife is a traveling medical lab tech.
she has been to some really cool places.
one as in cool and one as in cold as hell recently.
she does 3 month contracts and moves on to the next but she gets 10 options to pick from.
i have a good start on her bus right now and of course it will be a little before its finished.
last year she spent 6 months working in wyoming just outside of yellowstone.
then her company/she chose alaska since august?
she comes home in a few weeks and her next assignment is michigan.
but when i finish her shorty and she can tow her car she can pocket 1200$ a month perdiem.
thats my world wish you luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:35 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Ehhh 700 hundred billion users???... World population??
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instagram, money, youtube