Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2022, 09:13 PM   #1

Year: 1999
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102-DL3
Engine: Series 60 Detroit
Rated Cap: 55 passenger
MCI 103-DL3 conversation

I recently acquired a 1999 MCI 102-DL3 that in looking forward to converting to a motorhome. I'm not looking to live in it full time, but I do plan to do trips of 4 to 6 weeks in it. I look forward to any information you can give me, tips and tricks, etc in regards to this project. I do have a construction background and I'm familiar with plumbing, electrical and the basics of HVAC. I would like to do a central system once it's ready for that. With these buses being a solid 13 ft tall is it even possible to mount solar panels on top and still be able to travel most roads, or is a suitcase system my only real option? These are the kings of questions I have for later in the build.

Some of my immediate concerns are things like structurally, what needs to be done in the basement storage to mount and carry a generator, a 100± gallon water tank (900± lbs plus tank weight), a generator (another 900-1000 lbs for a my 12 KW unit), then there's the issue of mounting the HVAC unit(s) and power invertors. It's a little overwhelming not knowing the answers to most of these questions, so I'm looking forward to learning everything I can from you!!!

TIA
Tony

Thunder Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 11:17 PM   #2

Here's a few pictures of it. The whole rig has about 960,000 miles on it. The transmission has around 120,000 miles and the engine is around 250,000 miles on it. The company I bought it from bought it new and has a huge book with the maintenance records on it. I'm looking forward to learning everything I can from this site. I've been told this place is great! ��
Attached Thumbnails
20220909_151921.jpg   20220909_151944.jpg   20220909_152126.jpg   20220909_152028.jpg   20220909_152144.jpg  

Old 09-15-2022, 04:48 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Not so much for coaches here. You need to check out www.busconversionmagazine.com where you'll find answers from owners of coaches like yours. Coaches in general are in a universe of their own and require a completely different knowledge set, and MUCH deeper pockets.

School buses are nothing like a coach in design, materials, form or function. Coaches are orders of magnitude more complex and costly when it comes do doing any work on them. You'll be finding that out soon enough. And almost all parts are proprietary to MCI, in your case, and you'll need to deal with them for replacements. You'll be finding out all about that as well.

Have fun and enjoy your new toy. I've owned and driven All coaches and Crown school buses for 50+ years and still do today in commercial service and I know what's in store for you. The BCM site will be much more able to give you REAL and true knowledge from owners who are going through the same things you're soon to be experiencing. They know Coaches and will be able to help you out.

My choice will be an MCI as well when it's time to get a coach for my conversion. I prefer them and find they are the best overall in build quality, handling, ease of repair, and reliability. This is your first lesson. Get yourself an MCI repair manual, and parts book too, you'll need them both. Trust me on this.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 07:37 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Mike (Crown_Guy) is right on. Coaches are definitely a different beast from a school bus. MCI makes a great product and their support is quite good. If you haven't already, I suggest you watch all the videos posted by my friends Yvan and Sylvie Lacroix about their MCi conversion. Their channel is https://www.youtube.com/c/LacroixCruiser
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 02:46 PM   #5

Thank you to both of you!!!