Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2019, 06:39 PM   #1

Mercedes MBE904 and MBE906

Hello. Does anyone have any experience with the Mercedes 904 or 906 engines in the Freightliner buses? I'm looking at a 2007 this weekend. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

droppler525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:12 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
The Mercedes engines are pretty reliable, but expensive to maintain, expensive to repair, and hard to find mechanics for. A 2007 engine will have emissions on it which will or may cause more expensive repairs.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:13 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
What makes them expensive to maintain? I understand they're not the most pleasant engines to work on, I work with a guy who works on them frequently in salt trucks and he hates them. The last thing he complained about one of them was how the air compressor is driven off the rear of the engine. Does the Detroit Diesel software work on them?

My school district owns a lot of them, and must like them enough to keep them longer than their International powerplants. I'm now considering one myself, doesn't seem like it has an EGR cooler based on the later ones I glanced at this evening in a school parking lot.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:58 AM   #4

My buddy is a bus mechanic for the local school district and I went to his lot yesterday. I keep hearing the Mercedes engines are expensive to maintain, repair, and hard to find mechanics for.

I'll take the word of a guy that works on them everyday and he says the maintenance is almost non-existent, the parts aren't overly expensive, and the most common fixes are easily done with a few hand tools. I wasn't sure about a pusher, but after he explained they're the easiest ones to work on and showed me why, I think that's what I'll be looking for at the upcoming auction.
slickwillytfcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:39 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I always say that any drivetrain is going to be great if you've got a team of fleet mechanics and a discount credit account with the upstream parts vendors. That doesn't reflect most of our situations. Added to that the reality of EPA2004 DPF/EGR systems, the BME just isn't on the list of drivetrains we recommend to average Joes.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
I always say that any drivetrain is going to be great if you've got a team of fleet mechanics and a discount credit account with the upstream parts vendors. That doesn't reflect most of our situations. Added to that the reality of EPA2004 DPF/EGR systems, the BME just isn't on the list of drivetrains we recommend to average Joes.
Can't say this enough, we have many buses in the fleet at work that have drivetrains that are on the bad skoolie list but they work well in a commercial setting since we have full time mechanics and accounts at all the wholesale parts suppliers in the state.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mbe904, mbe906