Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
Almost There
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Martha’s Vineyard
Posts: 86
Engine: 2000 International 3800 T444E
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
Months of skoolie skulking

Hey all!
I love this site so much! Yíall some bright peeps!
I am interested in buying a bus that is advertised. Itís a 1997 International 3800 DT 466E.
Supposedly really clean, runs great. No added insulation though. Itís an AT 545.
We would use it to mainly tool around in summer. Plenty of driving. Itís listed for 12 grand. 143,099 miles. Would love feedback. Can take brutal honesty. 😀
Magden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 20,220
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magden5 View Post
Hey all!
I love this site so much! Yíall some bright peeps!
I am interested in buying a bus that is advertised. Itís a 1997 International 3800 DT 466E.
Supposedly really clean, runs great. No added insulation though. Itís an AT 545.
We would use it to mainly tool around in summer. Plenty of driving. Itís listed for 12 grand. 143,099 miles. Would love feedback. Can take brutal honesty. 😀
12 grand will get you a really top notch machine.
I'd hold off and watch the auctions for a bookmobile or mobile command center type conversion. They come with all the bells and whistles.
Or start shopping around for a Bluebird Wanderlodge!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:09 PM   #3
Almost There
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Martha’s Vineyard
Posts: 86
Engine: 2000 International 3800 T444E
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
12 grand will get you a really top notch machine.
I'd hold off and watch the auctions for a bookmobile or mobile command center type conversion. They come with all the bells and whistles.
Or start shopping around for a Bluebird Wanderlodge!
Knew I could count on you EastCiastCB!! Thank you!
It has places for 4 to sleep, running water, LED chargeable lights so not JUST the bus. Make any difference ?😬😀
Magden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 20,220
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magden5 View Post
Knew I could count on you EastCiastCB!! Thank you!
It has places for 4 to sleep, running water, LED chargeable lights so not JUST the bus. Make any difference ?😬😀
It would depend.
Sounds like a $2500 bus to me, but are the extras worth ten g's to you?
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,993
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
If it hasn't been converted, it's a $3500 bus at best,
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:45 PM   #6
Almost There
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Martha’s Vineyard
Posts: 86
Engine: 2000 International 3800 T444E
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
Dang!
I think I got sucked into the 25 footer. I donít want to drive a big bus s but when you put it that way if that is all worth all those extra Gís then not really.
Thanks everyone for weighing in!
Magden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:57 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 20,220
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magden5 View Post
Dang!
I think I got sucked into the 25 footer. I donít want to drive a big bus s but when you put it that way if that is all worth all those extra Gís then not really.
Thanks everyone for weighing in!
I have different goals and ideas than most folks converting buses but I'd rather have one fresh from the school and unconverted than a finished one.
But everyone's wants and needs are different.
If its a real nice conversion the price may be ok.
price and specs sound like one I saw on here recently.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:35 PM   #8
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 605
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30
Engine: 350 Chevy
Rated Cap: 10K
Any pics on it?
It does sound pricey, but as eccb mentioned: if the conversion is quality, it might be worth the $$.
That's why pics will help get you added feedback...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:49 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,993
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Hard to leave feedback with absolutely no details. Still don't know if it's converted or not.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:14 PM   #10
Almost There
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Martha’s Vineyard
Posts: 86
Engine: 2000 International 3800 T444E
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I have different goals and ideas than most folks converting buses but I'd rather have one fresh from the school and unconverted than a finished one.
But everyone's wants and needs are different.
If its a real nice conversion the price may be ok.
price and specs sound like one I saw on here recently.
You did. 😜
I was trying to be covert. Itís in Florence,SC
Magden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:15 PM   #11
Almost There
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Martha’s Vineyard
Posts: 86
Engine: 2000 International 3800 T444E
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Any pics on it?
It does sound pricey, but as eccb mentioned: if the conversion is quality, it might be worth the $$.
That's why pics will help get you added feedback...
Was on the classified site but was trying to be a bit more covert. 😁
Magden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:32 PM   #12
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 605
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30
Engine: 350 Chevy
Rated Cap: 10K
It looks nice but it has a couple of minor schoolbus things still on it that would keep it from passing a state safety inspection in my state. (upper warn lights, stop sign on driver side)
It doesn't say what the title status is, RV, Bus, etc., nor does it say what region of the country it came from.

It would be hard to build out one with the equipment it has in it for that $$.
I'd still need to inspect the undercarriage, specifically in the rear wheel well areas, back, since there are no pics underneath...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:55 PM   #13
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 12,623
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Lots of driving with a 545 on a 466E? I would want that 545 to be a 643 if you are planning on running it all over the place.. weekend warrior? then 545 should be just fine
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:58 PM   #14
Almost There
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Martha’s Vineyard
Posts: 86
Engine: 2000 International 3800 T444E
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
It looks nice but it has a couple of minor schoolbus things still on it that would keep it from passing a state safety inspection in my state. (upper warn lights, stop sign on driver side)
It doesn't say what the title status is, RV, Bus, etc., nor does it say what region of the country it came from.

It would be hard to build out one with the equipment it has in it for that $$.
I'd still need to inspect the undercarriage, specifically in the rear wheel well areas, back, since there are no pics underneath...
Thank you for that!
Will specifically ask about rear wheel well and photos.
Magden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:01 PM   #15
Almost There
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Martha’s Vineyard
Posts: 86
Engine: 2000 International 3800 T444E
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Lots of driving with a 545 on a 466E? I would want that 545 to be a 643 if you are planning on running it all over the place.. weekend warrior? then 545 should be just fine
It could be anywhere in summer but nowhere for nine months. I was reading up on the shifting of a 545 ( a bit rough)and the gas guzzling. That was slightly disheartening.
Magden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:13 PM   #16
Almost There
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Martha’s Vineyard
Posts: 86
Engine: 2000 International 3800 T444E
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magden5 View Post
Thank you for that!
Will specifically ask about rear wheel well and photos.
Also came from Ohio originally and is titled as RV
Magden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:14 PM   #17
Almost There
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Martha’s Vineyard
Posts: 86
Engine: 2000 International 3800 T444E
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
It looks nice but it has a couple of minor schoolbus things still on it that would keep it from passing a state safety inspection in my state. (upper warn lights, stop sign on driver side)
It doesn't say what the title status is, RV, Bus, etc., nor does it say what region of the country it came from.

It would be hard to build out one with the equipment it has in it for that $$.
I'd still need to inspect the undercarriage, specifically in the rear wheel well areas, back, since there are no pics underneath...
Originally from Ohio and titled as RV
Magden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:47 PM   #18
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 605
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30
Engine: 350 Chevy
Rated Cap: 10K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magden5 View Post
Originally from Ohio and titled as RV
A full undercarriage inspection for sure. Also inquire about the municipal service records for the bus. While it should not be considered a deal breaker without it, it might give you helpful info on whether the engine, trans., or any other drivetrain components have been overhauled or replaced and the frequency of preventative maintenance it received over its life as a school bus...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:01 AM   #19
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 20,220
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magden5 View Post
Also came from Ohio originally and is titled as RV
I wouldn't buy an ohio bus.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #20
Almost There
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Martha’s Vineyard
Posts: 86
Engine: 2000 International 3800 T444E
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
A full undercarriage inspection for sure. Also inquire about the municipal service records for the bus. While it should not be considered a deal breaker without it, it might give you helpful info on whether the engine, trans., or any other drivetrain components have been overhauled or replaced and the frequency of preventative maintenance it received over its life as a school bus...
Thanks for all of that!
Magden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×