Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2020, 09:10 PM   #1
Scared to Post

Talking Moving from Hawaii to mainland to bus - excited is an understatement

Hello gang,

My dog Ed and I have decided its time to pursue the dream of building out our own bus. As a skydive instructor (and fixed object jumper), being able to live mobile is an ideal way to follow the good seasons/work on the mainland. Casual auction browsing has become serious and with a deadline as I've absolutely fallen in love with a bus

If anybody out there has some knowledge and just loves talking skoolies, and also diesel engines, please drop me a line

I'm looking at a 1968 GMC with a DT 478 engine. The listing calls it a cummins and a V8, both of which i believe are incorrect. It fires right up and sounds great, by my limited knowledge, and has only 84k on the odometer. Being that it was an airport emergency transport, I have to assume it was well maintained. I'm curious what transmission is on it as well as a dozen other questions (maybe more) for anyone willing to offer up what they know

The tricky part here is I have to really plan to dig in my heels on the auction as it would include buying airline tickets to the bus. My current plan would be to store the bus locally (the monthly price being very affordable)since this puts me a couple months ahead of schedule and I still need to pack and ship my things off island

Long term goals for the bus are fully off-grid capable with generous power consumption (lots of solar and batteries?) and I do plan to cut and raise the roof. This is a very serious goal and I'm happy to ship some hawaiian coffee, nuts, etc, and lots of aloha to anyone willing to help. When we finally meet out on the road it'll be beers at my place! Much love

Mike and Ed

-In search of the eternal buzz

https://youtu.be/YZdVILqKwy4

eternalbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:01 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Are both of you skydive instructors?? Hehe

Welcome to the most aggravating lifestyle you'll ever love to hate (or hate that you love it).

You might Google Toro-Flow for more info on that engine. It sounds like it's a GMC diesel which from 1968 sounds about right as they actually made their own diesels up to a point. I think you're greatest challenge will be finding out anything about a vehicle of that vintage so it'll be more trial and error. Based upon that, I'd conclude it may be hard to rely on it when you need to go and it's not 'in the mood'. Not discouraging you but just be aware that's more a museum bus than a reliable cruiser.

Good luck!
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote