Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2016, 11:55 PM   #1

My beautiful new bus

Hello from Texas! I'm the pleased as punch new owner of a 1991 Chevy Bluebird short bus. The previous owner already had taken out the seats and converted her to a camper but with no electricity or water or anything fancy. My dream is to add a generator ( thinking of a Champion 3100 watt inverter generator), a propane tank and maybe in the future some solar. Any ideas on where to store the generator and tanks would be appreciated! First order of business too is to seal up some windows that are leaking, but overall she's a beauty.

I'm looking forward to a learning adventure and am happy to make new friends here.

I couldn't get pictures to upload to the post so here is a link to the album I created for a few pictures of her:

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/member...lbums1008.html

Kat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:01 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Welcome to Skoolie.net
I have a 7 window 48 passenger blue bird. I'm thinking of making a "trunk" with the rear door and storing a generator / battery bank back there. I have plans for solar and a vertical shaft wind turbine as well.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootalltechie View Post
Welcome to Skoolie.net
I have a 7 window 48 passenger blue bird. I'm thinking of making a "trunk" with the rear door and storing a generator / battery bank back there. I have plans for solar and a vertical shaft wind turbine as well.

I'd like to see how you plan to do that, Techie. I've been thinking of having a hitch and basket installed on the back for that but not sure how to weatherproof it.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:11 AM   #4
Bus Nut

I'm just in the planning phase so nothing is set in stone.

Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Where in Texas are you? Lots of us have Skoolies in this state.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:37 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: d466 mechanical
I got the champion 3100 inverter gen for my bus and I love it. runs everything from powertools to the AC. As far as inverter generators go, for the price the champions are probably the way to go. You could make a compartment for it, but just make sure its exhausted to the exterior and have a good alarm. An easier way is to just get a carrier crate for the tow hitch.
Enough solar to power what you'd like in that mini bus wont be too bad! look into renogy, super simple set up and good warranties.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD View Post
Where in Texas are you? Lots of us have Skoolies in this state.
Hi Flyboy, I'm up in northeast Texas not too far from the Louisiana border, near Shreveport
Old 08-22-2016, 08:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereFast View Post
I got the champion 3100 inverter gen for my bus and I love it. runs everything from powertools to the AC. As far as inverter generators go, for the price the champions are probably the way to go. You could make a compartment for it, but just make sure its exhausted to the exterior and have a good alarm. An easier way is to just get a carrier crate for the tow hitch.
Enough solar to power what you'd like in that mini bus wont be too bad! look into renogy, super simple set up and good warranties.
Thanks for confirmation that Champion is a good choice. The carrier crate was what I was thinking, but any input on how to weatherproof it would be welcome. I'd like to be able to run it if necessary while I'm driving. Also thinking it would be a good spot for a couple of deep cycle batteries and a propane tank, but would have to figure out some kind of hosuing for them.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:30 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I used a 4 legged Bus seat frame that I cut the back off of and modified as a cage for my AGM batteries in the bus.. its heavy and sturdy .. fits right over the battery boxes perfectly..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote