Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2018, 08:56 PM   #1

My journey is about to begin!!!

Hello!
About me: I'm 24 and I'm ready to begin my new live in Indiana. I grew up in the country and have been helping my family with our property for years. I have a lot of experience with fabrication and design. I have a lot of my plans of what I want in the bus....

That being said I have yet to buy a bus. My grandma used to be a bus driver and my family knows how to work on buses so I'm going to learn.
I'm super excited to get into this lifestyle!!

I have some questions about buying.
1 What's the difference between a gas bus and a diesel bus in the long term?
2 Would it be better to look for Hyd brakes so I can work on them?
3 I'm planning on getting a 40 foot bus so I can put a "garage" in the back. Is this a good plan?

I'm constantly reading articles on here so that's all I have for right now.
Nice to meet you all!!

Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:06 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome!

Quick answers:

1. If you're getting a cutaway van bus, gas isn't awful. They only weight a little more than a regular van, so you're not really punishing them. If you're getting a medium duty bus, most of us wouldn't consider a gas engine. They don't have long service life and they get awful MPG. They're also pretty uncommon, because nobody wanted them!

2. Air brakes are overall better, but the hydraulic brakes in my Vista are amazing. My TC2000 has air brakes and they work well but don't have the feel of hydraulic. For a big bus, air is the only reasonable way to go. Also, you can tap into your air system to run air tools!

3. That's what I'm doing, except my TC2000 is 32 ft. You'll either want a front engine bus so you have the nice back door, or a rear engine with a wheelchair lift next to the back of the bus that opens on the side.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:56 AM   #3

Awesome!!!! Thank you!!!! Those are definitely the answers I was needing for my checklist. I love the idea of hooking into the air.
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote