Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2022, 05:35 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: International
Engine: T444E, AT545 trans.
Rated Cap: 24 seater
Navistar Mechanic schoolie Project

Hello everyone, recently picked up a 1996 international short bus with a thomas built body.

T444E with a AT545 (4th and reverse are gone)

has 340,000 km with 7800 hours on the motor.
rated HP: 175

hooked my works computer up to it and read some of the codes and got a heath report on it.

got a few codes on it which im not worried about as i think the guy left the key on while disconnecting the bus or the batteries were below 12Volts while cranking it with the old batteries, (new batteries a year ago)

what i got was a code for
SID 254, FMI: 02 DTC: 224------ flash memory fault.
SID 253, FMI: 00 DTC: 622------ Field defaults were selected
SID 254, FMI: 13 DTC: 0. ------UNKNOWN DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE SHOOTING.

got the engine diagnostic manual and the codes could be the ECM failing but its most likely from him leaving the key on while disconnecting the battery. but it does put the engine back to the low HP 175. that if u had the other HP parameters in it.

most of the time when a IDM is failing you would get all 8 injectors short to ground or open code.

my forman aswell said he has seen it throw the codes above and never have a problem its whole life. will clear them and see if they came back.

but big **** show driving it to the sitting spot for awhile till my broken arm is healed up.

trans is blown was thinking on swapping it out for the MT643 but trying to find the adapters to fit the engine and trans together will be hard thing to do. i have my buddy at work looking into it for a parts list, but might just slowly collect parts till im ready. cause i do have a replacement trans in the back of the bus, that i was told had low hours (came off of a backup pump coupled to a 4BT)

rear calipers seized up on the drive home had to pinch off the flex lines on one side of the calipers and hit the other side caliper with a hammer so all the fluid would go back up to the master and not feed back to the other side caliper then did the same steps again.

but anyways will up date on my schoolie project slowly, the guy that i bought it off of ripped all the seats out. and i will be putting a cheap diesel heater in it with hot water exchanger from https://www.bobilvans.co.uk/product-...il-air-xchange. later in its future.

plans are to make the bus is to make it my dirt bike hauling and rig for racing and snowboarding or surfing rig.

the list on the first stuff to do
[LIST=1][*]trans swap(install trans temp gauge Post and pre cooler)[*]brake job on the rear/fluid flush[*]wire wheel and paint under it.[*]drop tank cage and tank to deal with rust(tanks are not cheap.)[*]maybe touch front brakes.[*]oil change [*]check DCA level in the coolant as it is green coolant and level the reading out.[*]deal with dash lights intermittently working[*]delete rear heater core and coolant lines

PowerBrapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
7.3, t444e