Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2016, 02:17 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Thomas Built Mini, Microbird
Engine: 6.6 Diesel
Rated Cap: 17 pass
Neophyte from Lawrence, Kansas

Howdy. I'm posting this more for myself. I don't have a bus. Here's where I'm at: I have a savings account and a TODO list. Planning to purchase my bus in March. In the meanwhile, I'm spending this winter in the classroom learning RV electrical, rain catch systems, solar systems, grey water recycling, and of course how to purchase a good bus and on and on and on. I'm also going to do some job shadowing with help of the local school system to learn some bus mechanics. Essentially, I'm spending the Kansas winter getting schooled so I don't get schooled. This forum is a part of that.

My name is Kerry. A bit of drama: I used to be an educated home owner with three children and a big, vibrant, life. I lived in an intentional community so have always had those sort of philosophies. Have a degree in religious studies and was prepping for a Master's of Divinity so I could do work as an Interfaith Chaplain. Then, I got sick. Rare and weird neurological disease. Some days, I can't even lift a glass of water let alone a hammer. So why I am even entertaining this? Because I refuse to go down that's why!

I miss having a home and a skoolie is right up my alley. I'm already in a 300sf apartment so downsizing isn't really much of an issue. My kids heard about my adventure plans and are all excited for me. Leaving for the Kansas winters will be much better for my health but who can afford to "winter" someplace warm? Skoolie can!

So, let the adventure begin. It will just be me and my little dog, Mindy. But i'm looking forward to learning, using my brain, meeting new and interesting people. I'm not attaching to the idea of getting a Skoolie in the end. I'm only attaching to having the journey, to enjoying having new goals and dreams. Cliche and cheesy, but I'm just going to enjoy the journey without expectation. I know this, being very sick for six years and just sitting around on disability watching the clock tick and the sun cross the sky day in an day out as my body and soul waste away? Not a life. Having this new and very doable dream? It's been a soul reanimation for me.

You watch. It's gonna happen. I raised three children 365 as a single mom and put myself through college, graduated at the top of my class, all while running a small business. People thought that was impossible but I did it. Now, I'll do this. Because I can

If you actually read this, well hello! and thank you! Cheers!

Kerry

KerryBeth1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:27 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Hello Kerry, glad you and Mindy are here!
I'll have to admit that I had to look up some of the big words you used... But I made it work

Are you using that term as a new religious convert? Or someone that's new to a subject?

ne·o·phyte
ˈnēəˌfīt/
noun
noun: neophyte; plural noun: neophytes
a person who is new to a subject, skill, or belief.
"four-day cooking classes are offered to neophytes and experts"
synonyms: beginner, learner, novice, newcomer; More
initiate, tyro, fledgling;
trainee, apprentice, probationer, tenderfoot;
informalrookie, newbie, greenhorn
"cooking classes are offered to neophytes"
a new convert to a religion.
a novice in a religious order, or a newly ordained priest.
synonyms: novice, novitiate

Either way, welcome aboard!
Old 11-27-2016, 04:28 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Smile

neophyte as in newbie new to the Skoolie universe. as in I'm totally green. I'm excited to spend the winter "ungreening" myself. I think it's important to get really educated before I even think about buying a bus. I really, no like I REALLY want to do this, but I need to make sure I'm up for it as I'm planning to live in the bus fulltime. All things are crossing my mind right now like you can't really "hang" a light fixture that will swing around while driving. What happens when your car is your home and your home is your car and you need toilet paper from the store? Do you drive you bus-house to the nearest store? So you want to grab some munchies and a movie, do you drive you bus-house on these errands? I've decided I also need a moped I can hitch to the back to the bus. And light fixtures will need to be secured. As will the fridge and all things in the fridge. Hmmm. And this is just the beginning I'm sure. I'm planning to visit an RV park and roam around and absorb knowledge LOL.

I've always been environmentally conscious. Well, I'm discovering that I thought I was! Now I'm truly thinking about how much water I use to brush my teeth and where it went after I spit in the sink.

Oh well, thanks for saying "Hi". I figure maybe I'll check in every so often and share what I've learned. Sharing is good, yes?

welcome aboard....... LOL! that is so great. thanks!
Old 11-27-2016, 04:58 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Im in the same boat with the disability, everyday is exactly the same. I had found an article by cheaper living and it has evolved. Im actually excited . Next year i will be buying my "skoolie". Im educating myself on things im not sure about.
Anyway, welcome and keep that dream alive!
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:16 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryBeth1985 View Post
neophyte as in newbie new to the Skoolie universe. as in I'm totally green. I'm excited to spend the winter "ungreening" myself. I think it's important to get really educated before I even think about buying a bus. I really, no like I REALLY want to do this, but I need to make sure I'm up for it as I'm planning to live in the bus fulltime. All things are crossing my mind right now like you can't really "hang" a light fixture that will swing around while driving. What happens when your car is your home and your home is your car and you need toilet paper from the store? Do you drive you bus-house to the nearest store? So you want to grab some munchies and a movie, do you drive you bus-house on these errands? I've decided I also need a moped I can hitch to the back to the bus. And light fixtures will need to be secured. As will the fridge and all things in the fridge. Hmmm. And this is just the beginning I'm sure. I'm planning to visit an RV park and roam around and absorb knowledge LOL.

I've always been environmentally conscious. Well, I'm discovering that I thought I was! Now I'm truly thinking about how much water I use to brush my teeth and where it went after I spit in the sink.

Oh well, thanks for saying "Hi". I figure maybe I'll check in every so often and share what I've learned. Sharing is good, yes?

welcome aboard....... LOL! that is so great. thanks!

No need for big words around here... We just call the noobs!

Something to check out is "Workamping"... It fits some people's lives, but not all.
Personally, I came to this forum gathering info for a while... Located a bus nearby on Craigslist for $9000, that was over priced by about $4 or $5k. Chatted the owner up, tried to get him to lower the price... He wouldn't budge, then about 11 months later, he relisted it $3500 lower so I started watching it again. Then a month later, he dropped another $1000. So, I went to where it was stored, started it up (keys were in the freaking ignition!)
Called him up and set up appointment to drive it.
Too late for long story short... But, he said "give me $1000, I'll finance $4000 at $300 a month, zero interest.

So, I bought a bus! But, it took me a year.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:09 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the welcome! and ya, it's something of an extra challenge when you're disabled but i am determined I'm buying my bus in the spring and I'm excited, too. Definitely looking forward to how this pans out for us.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:13 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

eh. never thought of "neophyte" as a big word. i guess it's all relative. i also think "noobs" is fabulous! completely awesome. and Work-camps (I had to look up what that was I as try to get familiar with Skoolie jargon) involve, well, work, which is something I can't do to any measurable extent. I am a disabled person. But, there are some things I can do and I have good days and bad days so on me good days I'm gonna do all I can. But, tis true that I will be relying mostly on the good peeps around me on my little bus conversion. I am truly thankful to have such good people around. I had my first meeting with some of those people yesterday and we are starting to tally up our resources. Very excited! PS: YES, from what i've researched most buses go for $3-4k. Hope that deal worked out for you in the end!