Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2020, 07:53 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Dealing with all the stuff done to Crowns through the years while in service by the various Districts, Charter operators, and other possible repair and maintenance shops is truly to deal with the Devils workshop and all manner of cheap and shoddy quick fixes. The prevailing tendency is for quick and dirty Field Expedient fixes to get it back on the road or to save a buck on using the correct replacement parts.

I know this is found in all used buses and Crowns are no different in this, but it highlights the many things that should be kept in mind when trouble shooting and how you just can't rely on how it may have been originally built or what shows in any wiring diagrams. The Crowns' extremely long service life, measured in decades, all tend to make this a bigger problem with the exposure to clueless and impatient service techs all trying to keep it on the road and do whatever comes to mind to get it out the door.

This aspect of the long life and exposure to many years of dicey service makes it very important to not expect the wiring especially to match the wiring diagrams or the well labeled points on the Crown where they do a great job of offering diagrams and wire labels to ease troubleshooting. The area around the circuit breakers and main distribution panel has a nice diagram, or it should have anyway. The wires themselves are also well labeled and numbered.

You have no ideal the level of Kludge I've encountered through the years and all I can say is it should liberate you to do what you feel is correct and make things better and even use creative parts and wiring solutions. Never forget Crown's were all Custom designed and built to Customer Spec's and whatever they did you can do as well and maybe even improve on with all the good tech available today. Nothing truly sacred about Factory Original, it just has to be well engineered and use high quality parts. Use good engineering practices and properly made parts and feel free to make it your own. Crowns are built to be repaired and upgraded when needed so you should take confidence it that.

Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #22

Thanks for all the great feedback and wanted to give an update on the issue im having with the accessory air tank. im still having trouble pinpointing the cause for my accessory tank not filling and supplying air to door, chair ect.. so far I have checked the dials for the wipers, switches everything the leads fron that tank to the front has been traced and so far no leaks. Also anyone knows if the air ride is tied into this system as well because if so this would explain the not so smooth bumpy ride. Thx if anyone has any suggestions
Kenoryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:47 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Glad you made it back and saw our posts. Since you live in the SoCal area I strongly suggest that you email me and I'll get you in direct email and phone contact with John so he and/or I can come see your Crown and give you the answers you seek. John's the man for Crown II's and he'll help solve most all your problems.

For instance, the air ride is most definitely tied into the aux. air system and comes up after the primary is aired up. There can be problems with the check valves, for instance, or the air-ride leveling valves could be giving you trouble and not letting the aux system fill up, many things could be impacting this, and not all are very big problems or even expensive to repair. Only needs a little troubleshooting and isolating the problem component(s). And again there are NO electrical components in the air system except for warning switches. If it's riding real HARD and bumpy it definitely sounds like the air-ride isn't coming up and needs attention, most likely a leveling valve problem. They aren't expensive at about $50 now and you can get them all over the place.

I'm a little surprised you can even release the parking brakes if you don't have the 90psi it usually requires. Sounds very interesting and needs to be looked at to find the underlying problem. Probably shouldn't drive it much until you can get this repaired.

Asking for help here is not an efficient use of your time and won't produce anything but the most generic and unsure answers to your specific issues. No insult to the folks on this forum but I suspect they would be the very first to agree that they probably aren't the best source for the expert help you need specific to Crown II's.

Even my experience is not as broad or as deep as Johns is on the Crown II's. I can help with the overall Crown questions but he will give you the laser focus on the Crown II. Take a deep breath and pause in your efforts to open things up and find what's wrong, We can help you with that and also offer specialized shops in case we can't find the faults. John and I can probably do in a single afternoon what you've been struggling with for the last few months. Lets meet at your bus.

Contact me asap and we'll help you find the answers you need. mikemcc2k@yahoo.com
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crown bus conversion, crown supercoach