Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2020, 06:18 PM   #1

New and dont know where to begin

My family and I are living with my in-laws while I finish school for the next year or so. It is a very cramped space, and emotions are always high. We need our own space and have decided to build a skoolie or tiny house. But we are unsure of where to start.

amamon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:45 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by amamon1 View Post
My family and I are living with my in-laws while I finish school for the next year or so. It is a very cramped space, and emotions are always high. We need our own space and have decided to build a skoolie or tiny house. But we are unsure of where to start.

First, I think you can start by outlining what you want out of your build. We first pursued the idea of a tiny house, but switched to a skoolie after reviewing the merits. Think in terms of capabilities and features:

Do you want to generate your own power, or do you want to plugin? Do you want separate spaces for work, eating, and relaxation, or do you prefer a more open multi- functional space? Do you intend to remain stationary, move every so often, or travel? What is the climate like where you intend to live?

There's a lot to consider. Try to elaborate on your use case a bit.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:59 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
step one, budget

what can you afford in terms of time and money.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:08 PM   #4

For the time being we would like to be able to plug in. It will be mostly stationary and moved a few times of year. We would like to have separate spaces, and lots of storage areas. We are in Phoenix so it would be in a hot climate. For a budget we are trying to stay around $10000.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:14 PM   #5

For the time being we would like to be able to plug in. It will be mostly stationary and moved a few times of year. We would like to have separate spaces, and lots of storage areas. We are in Phoenix so it would be in a hot climate. For a budget we are trying to stay around $10000.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:22 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by amamon1 View Post
$10k including the bus? A skoolie may be your only real option- a trailer for a tiny house of the sizes you would need is going to start well above $5k.

So you're going to want a bedroom, a kitchen, living room. How about a working shower? Working toilet? What about a "garage" area? Many dedicate a section of the rear to storing things this way.

In terms of water, are you going to want working faucets/sinks? How about hot water, or is just cold fine?

In terms of climate control- are you going to want or need air conditioning, or do you think you can you make due with fans? How about during colder months, will you need heat? If so, what would you prefer, a wood stove, or something you fuel up (propane or diesel)?
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote